main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph David Eddings has passed away

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by TheModFavorite, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    here's the article.

i'll admit, i wasn't much of a fan of his later stuff, but when i first ventured into reading fantasy sci-fi and fantasy as a young mod favorite, the belgarion and sparhawk books were fresh fare that seemed much different than a bunch of the other fantasy i'd been reading. so i tip my hat in rememberance of this man and posthumously thank him for the literary entertainment that he'd provided me in my youth.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow! I've never read his books, but I certainly know his name - what fantasy lover wouldn't? RIP.

And I actually didn't know his wife had died either.

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I wasn't really a fan of his books, but before the likes of Harry Potter and such his books were important transitions for teen readers towards some of the better fantasy out there.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Sad news! My wife is a fan, as was an old friend who used to tell me about the stories of Garion and Belgarath. I never read the books, but now that his oeuvre is complete, I might just start picking up some Eddings here and there.

RIP, a "master of the epic". @};-

5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I saw this the other day and it is sad news indeed.

~PK~

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The Elenium was the first fantasy story I ever read, and so it retains a soft spot in my heart. Not the best series ever, but a good intro to the high-fantasy genre. RIP.

7. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Much like some here, Eddings was an early introduction for me into the world of Fantasy back in the 80s. I will always have a soft spot for the Belgariad and the subsequent novels for that very reason, despite any shortcomings they may have had.

RIP a great author who paved the way for my enjoyment of such a great genre.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Eddings' work is more akin to Brooks and Feist, entertaining and fun as opposed to being serious and literary as it were.

He must have been a fair age though as he started writing about 25 years back and didn't look young on the author photograph either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.