main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC David Petraus resigns over affair

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Drone strikes against U.S. citizens and minors? Fine. Extramarital affair? YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO THIS COUNTRY.

3. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    You think the CIA director would be better at ...
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    ...covert affairs.

4. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Yep, I just posted this in the other thread, but this is more specific. Here's a repeat of what I said there:

Holy Crap!

So it is just being announced that David Petraeus turned in his resignation, and will be stepping down as Director of the CIA, citing the fact that he was involved in, and hid an extra-martial affair.

I can't think of a more effective leader, both during his military career, and during his tenure at the CIA. Petraeus even would have been one of those across both parties excellent choice for President, if he could have stomached the politics. (he was very much like Colin Powell in that regard) I don't even know what to make of this.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, also: more like David Betray-us, right?

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ugh.

ugh.

2 minutes. I wanted to post this as soon as I heard the news an hour ago, and you beat me by two minutes.

I hate you

Anyway, I'd have said something like his wife was saying "more like Betray-us." :p

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  7. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    the day to day operations of the CIA aren't going to be affected of course...But it's going to hit like a sledgehammer with regards to a more macro-level approach to US intelligence, especially with regards to the ongoing situation in Iran, not to mention the region. Man, I don't even know who can step in and fill Petraeus' shoes..

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not quite sure what to make of it too. I'm disappointed that he felt the need to betray his wife and hide the affair, but he was also one of the few leftovers who were originally appointed by the Bush administration (granted in a different role than the one he resigned from) who seemed to truly be above partisan politics and was the architect behind the surge plan that ultimately ended combat operations in Iraq. He did a lot of good in his career, but it's a shame that it ended in this way; because it tarnishes not only him, but to an extent the CIA as well. How much it taints it remains to be seen.

Edit: Mr44, I've already heard some throw out Robert Gates as a replacement. He could probably be a good replacement Whether he'd actually want to return to that type of role, or remain retired is another issue.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  10. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Yes, that's the bad social aspect. Officially, it would have created a problem because that's one of the criteria for the security clearance that every other CIA employee is subject to. Is the affair simply a ruse to gather some information from the "affairee?" There would be no way for Petraeus to hold everyone else to one standard, if he himself was given a pass. I'm glad he took responsibility, but it's the saddest aspect of this.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It took about five minutes for the conservative conspiracy theories to shift into overdrive. Clearly, the White House had found out about the affair, and the Obama administration was attempting to use the information to control his statements about Libya and Benghazi. So Petraeus confessed publicly to preempt the blackmail. Obviously.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I'm glad he took the responsibility and did what he would have asked those below him to do, but it's a sad way to end an arguably sterling career.

@Jabbaadabbado, that's pretty much why I haven't watched a second of Fox News since the news broke; because I knew the conspiracy theorists would be out in full force. I hate being right sometimes.

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I like my Tom Clancy novels better when they don't play out in real life.

RC-1991 and Point Given like this.
  14. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    petraeus leaving, panetta leaving, clinton leaving, holder maybe leaving.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Geithner had announced his intentions to leave, but now maybe holding off until the first of the year to try and help avoid the 'fiscal cliff'.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Geithner was a terrible choice to begin with. I can't wait to see him gone.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Don't worry, the revolving door will keep spinning.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm still trying to figure out two things: one, how the CIA is affected by an extramarital affair by its head, and two, how Petraeus' extramarital affair is any of the public's business.

And yes, Geithner was a terrible choice.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You know, to be honest, I don't think two is, in fact, anybody's business, but he's the one that brought up in his resignation letter (probably to head off somebody from FOX or any other media outlet brining the information to light and sensationalizing it - worse than it's likely to be), so the info is out there for public consumption via the source himself, for better or worse.

As for one, most military/intelligence agencies have a fear that if an officer/agent/soldier can easily be swayed via seduction that an enemy party could use an agent to procure sensitive information via 'pillow talk.' It's the rationale that was used in the Clinton impeacement procedings and why you had so many Secret Service agents drummed out of it in the aftermath of that whole Columbian prostitution scandal. If Petraeus had stayed on, when others under him had been fired for similar affairs, it would have smacked of preferential treatment, and if he stayed on and continued to hide it and a news outlet like FOX had found out about it, this would ultimately have been a bigger scandal than Clinton's cigar affair with Monica ever ways and would have done pretty good damage to the reputation of the CIA and possibly have harmed the President in some way, even if he had nothing to do with what Petraeus cheating on his wife.

So rather than A)appearing to do the old adage of "Do as I say not as I do." and B) cause harm to the CIA shield, Petraeus fired himself.

20. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    this thing is so bizarre...

21. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I understand of Petraus was too distraut to continue to do his Job effectivly, but isnt an affair a private matter? Why would he resigne because of it?

The news says it was he who approached the President so it may have been undo stress, but is just and affair. Shameful yes, but resignation worthy?
    Isn't it common in washington that powerful men have mistresses?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

If that's how she dresses when she goes on a comedy show, then yeah, I'm pretty sure she's the mistress

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Interesting theory on a profession for whom deception is the major currency...

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wtf

Darth Guy likes this.