main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN David Prowse

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Periidot, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Periidot

Periidot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    Mr. Prowse is in town (Indianapolis) promoting a fan film called "Saving Star Wars" that he has been involved in. During his interview, he was discussing Sebastian Shaw, and how he felt that Lucas used a 73 year old actor because he wouldn't be around to insist on being used in Episode III.

He was then asked if he (Prowse) was in EIII, and he said "Yes, a small bit, but for the big unveiling they used someone else."

Now, I don't know if he was actually referring to EIII or Jedi (the third original film), but in "Jedi" he was used more than a small bit.

Interesting.

"Saving Star Wars" will premiere at the Green Briar Cinema Grill on 86th and Ditch tomorrow at 6pm and 9pm.

Official site:
    http://www.savingstarwars.com/html/home.html

From the Official Site:
    DAVE PROWSE ? EVENT AND APPEARANCE ITENARARY JUNE 7-10
    TUE June 8, 2004
    6:15am **** and O?Brian 97.1 fm
    7:15am Dave Smiley Show 99.5fm
    8:45am Bob and Tom Show 94.7fm

WED June 9, 2004
    6:15am FOX 59
    7:30am WRZX Gonzo Gregg and the Big Dumb Show. 103.3fm
    5:00pm GreenBriar for Autograph and Premier.
    9:00pm arrive Vapor Lounge for After Party.

THUR June 10, 2004
    6:00pm Arrive Comic Carnival North Side location for autograph session

FRI June 11, 2004
    6:00pm Arrive Comic Carnival North Side location for autograph session

PREORDER ?SAVING STAR WARS? ON DVD
    ? Saving Star Wars? will soon be available on DVD. Pre-order as many copies as you want and save $5.00 per copy. The DVD will have a price of $20.00, but only $15.00 when you pre-order by sending a check or money order to:
    WoodWorks Films
    PO Box 36456
    Indianapolis, IN 46236
    DVD will include the feature-length film, trailers, storyboards, commentaries, and more.

IMDb:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387563/

2. djtom

djtom Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    [image=http://www.wzpl.com/uploads/smiley/Tom-David%20Prowse.jpg]

WOO HOO!!

3. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    is that david prowse on the right?

4. SaberClaw

SaberClaw Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2004
    I was sixth in line at the southside Comic Carnival appearance. It was the first time I had the chance to meet MR. Prowse and I can say to this day I still have not. He came across as arrogant and greedy. I never saw him once smile, nor heard him thank any one for giving him thirty of their hard earned dollars for his autograph. My wife and I opted to leave the line, and not do business with him.
    He was there to make money, not enjoy time with the people who have helped him make a living. At C3 I wil avoid Mr. Prowse and remember Darth Vader has more class and honor than th eman who filled the suit.

5. YindBobba

YindBobba Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2004
    I have to admit he did come off that way. But you have to remember he is up there in age, and to tellyou the truth he was very courteous when I met him at the Southside location. I think he is just getting old.

6. SaberClaw

May 23, 2004
    Age is not an excuse to me. This was a gathering of people who have made him a wealthy man. I mean all he had to do was smile and say thank you or something close to that. He should have at least shown that he appreciates the people who have supported him. I do not even want to talk about the price he charged for the auto, because even reflecting on it insenses me, but once C3 comes I will be more the wise to the old man of the sith.

7. djtom

djtom Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    Ya know...

I was at his east side Comic Carnival appearance, thats where the pic came from.

I was there for 90 minutes of the 2 hours he was there, and he couldn't have been nicer.

Hardly anyone showed up for it, and the people that did, were treated very courteously. He even gave a 'discount' to someone who didn't quite have enough money on him.

Just FYI....

8. zuckuss1138

Oct 26, 2001
    he was nice to me at the eastside store, you were there for most of the time i was tom, but he was kinda gruff at south, which is wierd cause i paid for the sig at south and didnt get anything at east :confused:

9. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jorg_Sacul_from_C3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    I'm posting this for Gary Wood, because he makes some good points.

I wanted to take a minute to personally stick up for Dave. He is one of the most gracious, polite and funny gentlemen I have ever met. It's easy to look at someone who has achieved a certain success and dismiss them as "sell-outs" or rude, but I have spent a lot of time with Dave. I have seen him suffer people with the same questions over and over when I wanted to scream. He spends as much time talking with each individual as they want, with an eye to the line behind them so no one has to wait overly-long. Usually the fan stops talking before Dave.

And as far as him charging for autographs, does anyone, in this day and age, know anyone who doesn't charge? Dave makes his living now from personal appearances and autographs. It is all he does all over the world. Having said that, I have seen him sign more free autographs than I can count. I, too, have seen him not only give "discounts" but merely sign for nothing. I saw him volunteer to sign and young girl's Vader portrait that she had drawn...and then he signed a piece of paper for her little sister. The photos that he signs cost money to print and he only charges $5.00-10.00 for them, depending on the size. He will sign your item for $20.00. The night of the premiere, he volunteered to sign for only $10.00 and gave all the money to WoodWorks.

It is also important to note that Dave came in for the Premiere for FREE. We did not pay him a dime for his appearance. We lined up signings for him at Comic Carnival and radio and TV appearances. By the end of the week, Thursday, he was quite tired from early mornings and late nights. We kept him busy! He was also frustrated by 3 Comic Carnival signings with very low turn-out. I'm sure the mix up on the web site didn't help but......

We also found that many people arrived at CC thinking Dave would be signing for free. When they found out he was charging, they left. This is something we discussed with CC management--the customer paying for the sig vs. the store paying an appearance fee and Dave signing for free. It's really up to the location.

There's my two cents. I greatly appreciate the Indy Knights and Bloodfin's involvement with "Saving Star Wars". We truly could not have done it without you. And though I don't usually take the time to get into these frays, I couldn't stand by and let someone I consider to be a friend be attacked unfairly. I would do the same for any of my cast, crew, sponsors, or friends...

...except George.

Sincerely,
    Gary Wood
    www.savingstarwars.com

10. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Age is not an excuse to me. This was a gathering of people who have made him a wealthy man. I mean all he had to do was smile and say thank you or something close to that. He should have at least shown that he appreciates the people who have supported him. I do not even want to talk about the price he charged for the auto, because even reflecting on it insenses me, but once C3 comes I will be more the wise to the old man of the sith.

EVERYONE charges for autographs so if you think you are going to get some for free at C3 you better not go.

I have met Dave several times and have had the pleasure of working with him on "Saving Star Wars". Dave has always been very plesant and great to talk with.

11. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    He was on the southside...that'd even put Mr. Rogers in a crappy mood. :p

12. zuckuss1138

Oct 26, 2001
    mr rogers is dead seb, have you no shame?

13. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    No, Mr. Rogers became one with the force just before Death struck him down. His ghost haunts Mr. McFeely for past card game grievences, and if you go out into an empty field on a clear night at 1/2 past midnight and sing "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" you'll hear the sound of Fred's ghostly trolly jingling in the night sky.

14. SaberClaw

May 23, 2004
    No not everyone charges for autographs. I have several sports autos that I got for FREE. AS for C3, I am not foolish enough to believe that the cash cow that will take up the convention center would be free. However, the price was not the issue, it was the attitude that Mr. Prowse showed (as I stated before) was the reason for my disappointment and aggravation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.