main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Davis Kidd Star Wars Event - August 28

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    This is tentative right now. Macon, Jacob's girlfriend, told me it looks like August 22 will be the date for their Star Wars event. I'm not sure about costumes and stuff or what the details are, so this is just a heads up. :)

Here's their Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/DavisKiddMemphis?v=wall#!/DavisKiddMemphis?v=wall

I'm sure it'll be in the events section when it's firm, or closer to the date.

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm glad Macon told us about it, because the other SW prima donnas in town sure as hell wouldn't have.

3. Kelldar

Kelldar Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2003
    I would have this time, knowing you guys didn't know about it last time. Though so far they haven't firmed any kind of date up - it was supposed to be next month, then the 28th, now the 22nd... I don't think my husband and I will be going if they keep it that late in august, it's too close to Dragoncon for us.

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Note to self: Get Timmy a copy of "How To Win Friends and Influence People". ;)

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    This is actually going to be Aug 28th. They'd like to have a wookiee, and any other costumers. We should invite the Mississippi Mandos, also.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    My tact capacitor blew after they let Tupperware and Polyester play "security" at CIII.

And I stand by what I said with apologies to none.

When I was in charge of this group, I always made a point to invite the costuming groups to join us in anything we did, especially public events, thus making it about all the fans- not just a certain type of fan. (I doubt the 501st recalls how it first heard of Mid-South Con.) To my knowledge, this was continued by those who followed me as president of Memphis FanForce. However, I have noticed that this open communication has not been reciprocated by the costuming groups, especially over the past couple of years. While our group is not a costuming group- as FanForce was always intended to be about the appreciation of Star Wars and not about the love of Star Wars costumes- it seems that our comrades in PVC never seem to remember that Memphis FanForce is still the Star Wars Fan Club for the Memphis Metropolitan Area and fails to even attempt to include us- much less inform us- of Star-Wars related/themed events in the area.

At least we did get an invite from our old friend and former SMT comrade Hollie, who, last I heard, was living closer to Nashville than Memphis. She sent me a message through Facebook tonight:

Subject: August 28th--For the 30th anniversary of Empire

I wanted to know if you guys would like to join us on Saturday the 28th. Barnes & Nobel at Perkins Extended is having Star Wars Family Day and wanted characters to come for pictures and such. This year,they're charging tickets and a portion of sales will go back to Literacy Mid South. This is from 1:00-3:00.

Let me know if you guys are interested in costuming or just coming out for the fun. I'd love to see ya!

7. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I think most of the MS guys live a few hours away, but it?d be great to get them up here for it if we can.

Thanks to Hollie for the invite! We could probably bring some props and sabers and such for the kids to pose with. Sounds like fun. :)

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I think Hollie's confused. :p

It's Davis-Kidd, not B&N. Macon told me Saturday that they had been in contact with Regel Legion and 501st and now us. Macon is being added to their event group, so she asked if we knew a wookiee (I don't think John counts) and anyone else that would costume. Someone in TN or MS does a Chewbacca I thought?

It's open to any and all SW groups, costumed or not, they don't care -- they just want a nice showing. Macon asked Jacob about doing some facepainting, maybe Lin could do some of that also? I don't know what all face painting entails.

Also, Lin, I told her about your Topps project and that maybe you could do something with that there? We can get together and talk with her at some point if we need to. I'm sure SMT could have a table, also.

She's also looking for ideas for the Harry Potter movie event coming in Nov. Do we know any HP costumers or fan groups here in Memphis?

9. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'm good with doing some face painting.

Not sure about any HP costumers other than Kevin's friend Vicki.

Lin

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Went by there yesterday after checking out the art space at Theatre Memphis. Took a few pics.

[image=http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/linworkman/IMG_2871.jpg]

[image=http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/linworkman/IMG_2874.jpg]

[image=http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/linworkman/IMG_2873.jpg]

[image=http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/linworkman/IMG_2872.jpg]

And they sell Bushi Tales!

[image=http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/linworkman/IMG_2876.jpg]

[image=http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/linworkman/IMG_2875.jpg]

They had copies of #2&3.

11. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    What the heck. I'm breaking out the Barriss Offee costume. Might even drag Tim into some Palpy robes. [face_mischief]

12. Darth_RobDog

Darth_RobDog Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    Emperor Palpatim hasn't made an appearance in a while. Was the last time, Sith premiere?

13. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Nah, Tim was in costume when we went to that little dealer room con in Little Rock last August.

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Wow, this will be the day before Nicki's and my 2yr anniversary..!

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Does anyone have any more info on this? I don't mind doing facepainting but do they know it, and if so do I need to bring my own paints?

Lin

16. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'll ask Macon on FB, but since she and Jacob broke up I don't talk to her as much. I'll send her a note on FB and ask what, if anything, she would need from us.

17. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I was thinking about making it out to this, give me an opportunity to wear my mandalorian costume again. Who all is planning on attending this?

And, I agree..

Palpatim needs to make an appearance!

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Got this from Macaon this morning on FB:

Lin, I didn't give them your email, I thought I'd let you contact them so that you could control the amount of involvement, hence Macon giving you her Marketing person's info (when she says cards, I told her you did some sketchcards that you could show there, too):

Hey Rhonda!

I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you! We are still interested in face painting and anyone who is interested in contributing their talents. Christina Meek is head of the marketing department and she said that if anyone wants tables to do caracters (I don't think I spelled that correctly!), the cards you mentioned, anything we can do it. You can give Lin Workman Christina's email address cmeek@josephbeth.com and tell her that he's a volunteer from Macon who is available to do face painting. I'll give her a heads up so she can expect his email and she can give him all the information he'll need.

It sounds like we can have a table and Lin can have a table, but to keep from too many cooks from getting in the kitchen, I'll let you could clarify that Lin, if you and Nicki talk to her since you have the SMT table, etc.

She asked if we have any cut outs, they are looking for Yoda stuff. Told her we had one, and a Vader one. Also thought it would be cool to take the Yoda and Mace puppets for the kiddies, Tim, if you still have them. :)

I guess we just need to figure out what time to be there to set up, etc.

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'll dig up Palpy and the Puppets for this one and bring them out of retirement.

Thanks for being on top of this and getting things coordinated with Macon and the folks at Davis-Kidd, Rhonda! We get so few chances to let folks know that there's a FanForce chapter here, (much less any organized SW fandom that's accessible for the public here that isn't a group involving/requiring expensive, showy costumes), and we need to take advantage of any opportunity to keep the SMT alive and kicking. Roo for SMT Prez 2011!

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Do we want to meet for lunch before this shindig? If so, maybe we can go to Rafferty's or On The Border right there in the Laurelwood Shopping Center. The event starts at 1pm, and depending on if we have a table or not that we need to help set up, we could probably stand to be there 30 minutes early. Lin, not sure if you talked to them about facepainting or what you have to do, but if you're doing it I'm sure you'll probably need that time to set up, too. Maybe we meet for lunch at 11:00 am (give or take a few minutes)?

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002

It looks like we won't be able to eat before, but we're still excited about seeing everyone!

Lin, don't know if you've spoken with anyone from there, but they picked up some paints for you as well, but I don't know that I'd leave mine at home. I'm kinda of the middle person here, and I'm just a guest, so unless you've talked to them, I'd go with what you feel comfortable with. Are we having any kind of SMT presence there or is the facepainting separate? I don't have a costume, but if this is an official SMT event, I'll see if I can at least dig up a hockey jersey or SW t-shirt.

22. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I'd say to wear a SMT t-shirt if you have one, Roo. I'll have the SMT banner with me in case there is any place to display it. I'll also have the SMT postcards and business cards to hand out or put on a freebie table.

23. behop31

behop31 Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2010
    Help me Fan Force... you're my only hope...
    I took my awesome son to the Davis-Kidd event today. He had an excellent time and became rather popular with the crowd in his Darth Vader costume! Perhaps some of you remember the pint-sized Vader who used the force on several Storm Troopers, The Emperor and Boba Fett?? Anyway, I am certain that[image=http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1447889&id=1499737940] a few pics of him will wind up floating around! :)
    It was ironic because I am putting together a Star Wars party for his fifth birthday (since and I are both big fans) and thought only after leaving that I should have contacted a few of the folks in costume...
    Do any of you guys, by chance, ever go to kids parties? I dunno if this a the best way to ask, but I thought I would give it a shot.
    The party was initially to be a "Jedi Training Camp" (and I am planning a few simple games for the kids)but since Gabe is less a fan of the council and more a fan of the Empire (though I ordered his cake to say something about him being the littlest member of the Rebel Alliance... but he can't read, so, whatever!) it will probably be just a bunch of kids running amuk at the local park and doing a few activities tweaked to have a Star Wars angle.
    Hope to hear from some of you!

24. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I was the Boba Fett there. Trace here was the Bariss, Tim was the Emperor Palpatine, Kelly was our Endor Leia,Nikki was a sith, and Robbie was our Sith Lord.

I do remember your kiddo and I was really happy to see that he was having such a blast! I personally have never done Birthday parties, and I don't know if anyone else here really has either? I know that the 501st Midsouth Garrison has been known to do parties, but I'm not a part of the 501st. When is your party set for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.