main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #4 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, an awake planet? Only one way to deal with that.....

[​IMG]

Revanfan1, Cronal, AusStig and 4 others like this.
  2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I was about to say that if Tython is alive, perhaps it's connected to Typhojem.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tython's.....

[​IMG]

Alive !?

4. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    great issue!

5. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    If Tython can "awaken", can Korriban do the same?

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It sounds like Tython might be like Sekot, not that it can happen to any planet. The weird storms are an indication of the planet's unconsciously reacting to the Force, just like how the Vong raid on Sekot awakened it now the Rakata have done the same to Tython. I doubt most planets have this latent ability, Tython has shown it was unusual from the start. And Korriban is definitely a dead world.

7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    What does whether or not anything lives on an object/organism have to do with whether or not the object/organism itself is alive?

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Sekot was alive because of its organisms, not the rock it was on, same with the Vong homeworld. I'm betting the same with Tython too.

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I kinda of hope that this is the case and it would be a rather interesting twist if the Tho Yor and/or the Celestials are sapient planets, or more accurate, "world souls." As Ghost said, Sekot and Yuuzhan'tar were emergent properties of the symbiotic ecosystems on their surfaces, a sort of "world soul" of the combined Living Force of the entire living population on the planet living together symbiotically. I'm not sure that Tython fits the bill in terms of its wildlife and civilization being symbiotic though, but it's possible that this sort of thing can emerge from other scenarios, and these living planets can ascend or whatever. I guess maybe if you want to take Denning's spin on it that would perhaps make the Ones into the "universal souls" representing the two facets of the Force with Father representing the Force itself, though I suppose that doesn't really make much sense how they can then die, or how their deaths don't have much significance to the galaxy at large.

I think this is what troubles me about the possibility, is that it's pretty much written on the wall that for a planet to emerge as a consciousness, the ecosystem needs to be a perfect symbiosis, and the loss of that symbiosis is what killed Yuuzhan'tar. And that's why Sekot is so unique in the galaxy, because such planetary ecosystems generally don't exist. Ithor maybe could have become one if it wasn't destroyed.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Would it be so bad? There's only what, 36 millennia between the 2 events and all....

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    In case there was any doubt.

"Next month sadly will see the final issue of Dark Horse Comics’ Dawn of the Jedi."

A nice, if fairly simple and gushing, article by Jennifer Heddle. This series had so much potential and has really suffered from a rushed final act. In an ideal world we would have seen it go for fifty issues and not condense the whole Force Wars thing, but hey, nothing ventured nothing gained. Here's to John & Jan --- cheers to the pioneers.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    While I'm upset the series ended up having to be condensed, I've actually enjoyed it on the whole...

It's reminded me so much of Tales of the Jedi, with wars told in between the pages, and huge swathes of history covered very quickly. There's something... poetic about Dark Horse going out on the same style of historic epic that they first came in on. :)

They've ended how they began: with epic awesomeness.

13. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed, I will miss this series :( But, as you said Zor, it went out with a bang. There was just so much world building involved and linking in of the various EU from Rakata to Kwa that it was just fantastic to see. Only thing I hope for now is that the final issue also reveals the mystery of the Tho Yor since I doubt that will be touched on again (would be happy to be proven wrong though). But Force War indeed and its kind of nice that at the end of Dark Horse's run in Star Wars that we got a story that set the beginning of everything namely the origins of the Jedi.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Being as I dropped this during baby-ness... Do we have confirmation that TPB's are still happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Yes. The third TPB is out this summer. They are done with omnibuses but the trades of all their current stories will all be out before the end of august or september

purplerain likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Volume 3 TPB is due June 2014.

17. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    DOTJ, TOTJ, amd Dark Empire together tell a story of the Jedi's birth, golden age, and rebirth.

18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm curious as to how this arc will end.

19. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Finally caught up again, this was certainly another great read. Great story, action, and art work.

As mentioned above I do wish the Rakatan ships had a little bit more variety. I like the design of the Hunter-class starfighters, but I wish there would have been some more non-Je'daii capital ships, starfighters, and ground forces featured in the story as well.

20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    With thunderous applause.

I also really love DoTJ, everything about was very 'Star Warsy' if that makes sense. It reminded of the Movies, like how, ToTJ and KOTOR did. It was fun and had good characters.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    AusStig I definitely agree with you about the "Star Warsiness" of it.

The conflict between the heroes and antagonists and those inbetween has been very refreshing after so many stories just about Sith of the Month who hasn't had any real personal conflict with a protagonist.

AusStig and purplerain like this.
  22. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Does the DoTJ era make more sense if I start with the comics? I'm trying to read INTO THE VOID at the moment and I confess the novel makes little sense even with the fact that I've read about 75% of the EU.

I'm just not getting the point...besides that something moved the galaxy's force sensitives to one planet/system for the Lulz.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The book started first I believe.

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    It depends on what you're looking for or expecting. For many of us, it was a chance to see the origins of the Jedi, before they settled into the generic lightside only prequel mode that most eras use these days. Dawn of the Jedi #0 (I think) talked a lot about the Tython system- the various settled worlds, natural (or mystical) phenomena as well as the various Temples the Je'daii had set up around Tython. The comics only barely touch on a lot of that background, whereas the novel visits more of the Tython system's planets.

Its still not quite as different as you might have expected or hoped, and I'm not the biggest fan of the Dawn of the Jedi era either. There's still a hierarchical Je'daii order, more non-Force sensitives than you'd expect, so some of it comes off as "more of the same".

The comics have more to do with the central "plot" of the era (why the Je'daii are even on Tython, the Rakata) whereas Into the Void, while a decent book, basically comes down to "random Jedi has to chase down her crazy brother before he blows up the planet". Its not quite that simple, and the main character isn't just a generic Jedi Knight from any other era (her experiment, no lightsaber, unlike Force War which basically has given everyone lightsabers already), but it doesn't come off as different as it could have been for this mythic era. Its still a decent story and possibly interesting era (though not as different as I had hoped for).

The novel is mostly a sidestory compared to the comics set on one of those fantasy planets that have plenty of buried devices/treasure/things that could blow up and wipe out all life that you find in scifi/fantasy settings, so that doesn't help its appeal based on your post.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The first arc of the comics, and especially the (uncollected) 0 issue of the comic, do a better job of explaining the era.

Revanfan1 and Gorefiend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.