main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #5 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AusStig, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    If anything, the Korriban/Moriband thing would indicate that TOR isn't important anymore. Other than that, "just what's on the screen" is not what the story group wants to do in the future, it's just what Lucas apparently did up to now (and isn't TOR on a computer screen? [face_beatup]).

It all depends whether TOR still has a life span or not. If it ends up as a niche product with not much money coming from it, I could imagine it abandoned as a "what if" product. I could even imagine that right now, since it's just a way to have people pretend they're Jedi or bounty hunters without being tied to the actual movies' narrative. But I can't really imagine people trying to pull off a spin-off movie about ancient fantasy world Jedi or something that would have to jump at TOR's throat. DOTJ much more so, since the Jedi's origin is something that you can only do once, so a new version would battle any old version. Having a phase of the Old Republic in which the Jedi are having their heyday could happen at any given time. And I'd truly be surprised if Revan ended up as this mythical figure that people want to make movies about - I'd say he'll sink into obscurity along with the inevitably aging KOTOR games, even if he's hidden somewhere in TOR.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    If there ever is a movie set prior to the prequel trilogy, I would bet that KOTOR/TOR would the most likely of all pre-PT works to be respected, or at least mined from, given how hugely popular they are with the general public.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think the EU now is going to be like, "if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound?" Well, I think that's what it's always been despite protest to the contrary from Leland, Rostoni et al. but it's officially produced but it's only 'canon' until something contradicts it.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    If Abrams wants to make a movie about Yoda overthrowing Emperor Sidious 1000 years before the movies, I can't see him letting story group stop him. As popular as KOTOR may be, I doubt that most of its players care how if at all it connects to the movies.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Bizarrely enough, the video gamers I know are quite irritable if I suggest to them the idea of a reboot that screws with anything they've played...

Most of them hate the idea of the Yuuzhan Vong, think it's stupid, but say that all the books are stupid, and that they don't care if all those stupid stories are thrown out... but if I dare to suggest any of the video game protagonists who they've personally "been" such as Revan or Starkiller? Oh boy, that's a whole different can of worms...

If anyone thinks Lit is protective of its EU, you don't wanna go near a Revan fanboy...

6. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Most video gamers I know don't even know that the EU exists aside from KOTOR/TOR. I met someone who went on and on about how awesome Malak and Mandos are but it had never occured to him that Boba and Jango have anything to do with Mandos or that Boba could have escaped from the sarlacc.

Plus, as we've discussed in the TOR thread, Zorrixor, TOR was a huge disappointment and its story hasn't been going anywhere. If I was disney, that would scream to me, "contradict away!"

7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Same for the Sith's origin. Speaking of which, if someone wants to make a movie in which Darth Ruin (or Darth Revan) creates the Sith "almost two thousand years" before TPM...

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    And yet somehow the EU was able to easily deal with that, and the world didn't explode.

9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The EU delt with a reference to it, not a depiction of it. You can stretch the meaning of what a character says, but you can't stretch the meaning of what's shown.

10. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I'd still say there's a difference in background info on the villains' ancient past and an actual story depicting the origin of the "hero class". But in the end, an origin story movie for the "heroes" would also be an origin story for the "villains", meaning the formation of the Jedi would also see the formation of the Sith in the same movie, because that's just how this kind of film entertainment works.

11. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

12. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Checking... agreeing, I think. I agree that there would be a difference between the constant retconning of written sources and the effect a "genuine screen product" has; that's why TCW always received that much more hatred. If a novel changes a context, it's "oh that author/proof-reader screwed up, whatever"; if a source article frames information in a new way, it's an intriguing new take improving everything; but if an offcial screen product changes stuff, it "stomps all over EU".

One of my points is also that I find it highly unlikely that they'd do a huge Sith origin story; if something like that ever happened to be shown in a film (and not just be told in 5 seconds of flashback exposition, like most of Palpatine's monologuing), it would be in contrast to a Jedi origin. There wouldn't be a "dark side focus" movie (okay, except for a Vader movie, that would be a probable spin-off).

13. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    By a "Sith origin" movie, I actually meant a movie in which whoever creates the Sith is the villain. I didn't mean to imply that whoever creates the Sith would be the protagonist.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The thing about Revan is:

1) He has a cool name

2) He has a cool look

So I'd not be at all surprised to see him make a cinematic appearance, even if it's as an entirely diffferent character in an entirely different historical context.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Yup, you're right, guess that means the EU is going to inevitably be destroyed when Disney of course makes that Sith origin movie that they've been talking about for so long and everyone's been clamoring for.

That's what you want to hear, right?

16. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I'd say only if they end up making an adaptation universe like they have with the Marvel comic-to-screen series. There, mining the raw materials to create something that makes sense onscreen is bread and butter. But I honestly can't see that happening in SW, especially since I can't see them making an "ancient history" movie. Success of the RPGs aside, the concept is quite hard to sell. Many people were already confused by the PT situation - "what, the new films are actually older or what?" Maaaybe they'd consider a TOR movie if the WOW movie unexpectedly turns out anything else than an embarassment. And then they'd probably want to largely respect TOR continuity and not just give a completely new characterization to a character design. The 90s are over, generally speaking.

Poor Revan does get a Lego figure, though, so it's still a bit before he'll be forgotten.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE, GREY, DARTH REVAN WILL BE THE ANTAGONIST OF THE ST (a fallen student of Luke) AND PLAYED BY ADAM DRIVER.

18. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Well, obviously, but only because he lives BACKWARD IN TIME and KOTOR held him the wrong way round.

By the way, I saw a trailer with Driver in it recently, and he seemed really nerdy in that one. Darth Revan will he be an awkward cute creative guy and contradict my game experience?

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm skeptical about them jumping around the timeline, too.

In Marvel, they've ended up merging most of it into Avengers, but if you hop around the Star Wars timeline...? You'll get indirect references, like the EU always had lived off, but I'm unsure if that has the same audience pulling power -- you can't get cameos by the same high profile actors if you're switching which millennium you are working in, and those ensemble cast stories are something I'm sure they'll want to leave open as a future possibility.

I could maybe see them doing one attempt at an ancient story where you saw a Sith War, where the Chosen One prophecy comes from, blah, blah, and if it was a raging success, maybe it'd get a sequel or two, but... I think it'll be a while before they went for that, and can see some more single-character driven heroes' quests first.

So Revan is Captain America Coruscant and wakes up from his carbonite prison with his carbonite Sith army and ravages the galaxy?

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Revan teleported to the future when he was ostensibly killed in the Foundry flashpoint.

BTW, I've actually seen people in SWTOR say that Revan needs to be in Episode VII.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Anakin Solo didn't die, he was catapulted back through time and became the man who would be Revan. Then, later, he teleported himself to the future (as DM says) but accidentally de-aged himself, as well, and became the young Rhett.

Needless to say, his memories are all over the place.

(If SW were X-Men continuity, this would be a perfectly valid hypothesis)

Revanfan1, Zorrixor and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    And you think it's not valid in Star Wars...?

[​IMG]

...because canon says otherwise.

Ulicus and Lugija like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

Ulicus likes this.
  24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Star Wars: Days of Future Past?

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    We just need to fit some sort of explanation for the disparity between Jacen and JINO in there and I'm ready to full endorse it.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.