Lit Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Now the OFFICIAL, SPOILERS-ALLOWED release thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 26, 2012.

?

Would you read this novel

Yes 110 vote(s) 88.7%
No 14 vote(s) 11.3%
  1. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    After everything we've seen from the EU, I'm sort of in the frame of mind -- and I hate it's come to this -- that the author has a greater influence over the overall quality of the story than whatever the plot's about. Announce a story by Stover or Luceno and I'll get excited no matter what it's about. I mean look at Stover: he was a nobody in the SW 'verse until he wrote a book about the boring Solo kid stuck on a ship with one of the smallest DP's of any SW novel. Add that to it being a sequel to the sweeping Star by Star epic.

About ten years back I probably would have been judging this Void book primarily on its purported plot. But honestly I'm more interested in what this Lebbon guy has to offer.
  2. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    True, but the Je'daii seem to believe that balance is achieved through the practice of the individuals who use it. That the individuals out of balance is a dire thing. My point is that the PT Jedi do not seem to share that view. That the Force would be in balance in a galaxy with thousands of light siders and no (at least significantly powerful) dark siders. So, I guess by "no dark side", I really should have said "no dark side users", which is an idea it seems the original Je'daii would reject.
  3. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    "You sense only a part of the Force, Darth...." [face_whistling]
    Dawud786 likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    That is a fair statement, since in the case of Force sensitives it signifies a risk of dark side involvement, but if we start talking about the balance of an individual, whatever that means, we're not talking about the balance of the Force, because an individual is not the Force. The balance of an individual's Force use is similarly a distinct issue.

Since you're now talking about the Force's balance, this does not seem to be an inconsistent view. Just replace "thousands of light siders" with "Je'daii". Whatever "individual balance" means - the model of using both sides as described in the Annotated Screenplays comes to mind - it can easily be something attributable to the PT Jedi or consistent with their ideals.
    Last edited by Arawn_Fenn, Mar 6, 2013
  5. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Judging from the sample in Scoundrels I like his writing style.

EDIT: We have a sample of the book online:
    The rest is here:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/book/222...r-wars-dawn-of-the-jedi-by-tim-lebbon#excerpt
    Last edited by Lazy Storm Trooper, Mar 29, 2013
  6. The-Eternal-Hero Force Ghost

star 4
    When does this novel take place?

Before the comic?

Parallel to the events of the comic?

After the comic?

I can't work it out...
  7. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Parallel I believe.
    The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  8. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    neither... it is in between the first and second arc of the comics, the current running one is the second comic arc. so before those, after the first arc.
    The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  9. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone else thinking this might be a series? We have gotten hint that it will be.
  10. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    i hope so. thereis potentially lots to cover with a pretty much blank slate in this time period.
  11. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    I kinda want to see the fall of the Ratakas.
  12. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Must admit I'd definitely enjoy if they somehow build all this into where the plague that stripped them of the Force came from.
  13. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Doesn't this book take place before the comic series?
  14. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    I think this was explained a few posts ago.

15. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, I saw that, but I recall early reports were advertising the fact that it's going to serve as a prequel to the comic series. Just wondering if there's any concrete information one way or the other (I should have clarified that in my post, my apologies).
    Last edited by instantdeath, Apr 3, 2013
  16. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
  17. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Did we get the date for the paperback version?
  18. DarthJimmer Jedi Padawan

The closer this book gets to it's release the more stoked I get. I love this side of the spectrum and I cant wait to get answers to how certain things develop.
  19. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Preview of John's ITV tie-in Insider story, from the SW Books FB page:

[IMG]

"Eruption". [face_tee_hee]

In related news, I am eleven years old:
  20. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    An eruption after plunging into the void...

No, it's not just you seeing the innuendo in this.
    GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  21. DarthJenari Force Ghost

star 4
    In terms of the original question, yeah I plan to read this book. Not really because I want to, as I do honestly think some things should be left completely unexplored and up to the imagination to keep an eternal sense of mystery in this far away galaxy of ours, but because I feel like I have to. This is an important part of the story, the start of everything basically. Not reading it would be missing out on a key piece of Star Wars history and that's something I can't let stand lol i'll probably have to read the comics too before this comes out. Anyone know if the comics happen before or after this? I've honestly never bothered to read up on them.
  22. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV - Vacationing and stuff

Manager
    star 5
    Damn, 90 people have voted in that poll? I didn't think that many people even knew Lit existed. :p

And DarthJenari, this is supposedly concurrent with the first comic arc.
  23. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    That's the thing I miss most about being a mod -- being able to identify people's socks. Unfortunately then you also learn the sad truth that all the polls on this site are rigged.:( Damn dirty socks!
  24. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    Does that mean that... the L-Canon thread...
    I can't handle the truth!
  25. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    I'm surprised you posted that, since it sums up almost exactly how I feel about this one. I can't decide whether it signals burnout on SW or a maturation as reader. [face_thinking]