main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Sooo... no one else took note of that? It makes me really curious. If he was just Force-speeding away, it doesn't seem like Sek'nos would say he wants to learn that trick because Force-speed is a common power. I also don't think it would make sense if he disappeared like Mother Talzin in The Clone Wars episode Massacre because unlike other new-yet-primitive Force powers in the series I don't see why no Jedi do that in the era we're more familiar with. It seems like something cool because I love seeing different Force powers, but I can't make any sense of it.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I took a look, and yeah, I didn't notice at first. I love seeing esoteric powers, but who knows? Maybe for this age that is a common power. Or just a Noghri thing.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    So you took it as a disappearing act? That was my first reaction. I like his species having something to do with it as a possible explanation for later Jedi not doing that.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, there aren't any Noghri Jedi I'm aware of. And per the Thrawn trilogy, they're not really a well-known species, at least at that time in history. As for the power, we see this swirl of air where he was standing, and the way it spirals indicates a twist of sorts. Did he twist, or was he stationary as he disappeared? Is this teleportation or invisibility? I tend to believe the former, since invisibility has no advantage here, plus it's snowing, so they'd see him walking away. Kinda pointless, which narrows it down. It could be he did some sort of super jump, but that doesn't seem like a trick Sek'nos would crave learning any more than, say, super-pushing abilities.

And actually, as I write this I am reminded of a similar power displayed by another of John's character's from Republic: the Dark Woman. She did a similar trick in one issue and it was definitely pointed out as a rare power. I'll try to dig through Republic to find it, but this power could be a reference to that.

EDIT: With the Wook's help, I found the instance. It wasn't actually Ostrander writing, but a little before he started writing Republic. The Wook calls it Force Intangibility, or phasing. A little different. Still, she was definitely an esoteric Jedi, known for her unique views on light and dark, similar to the Je'daii.

[​IMG]

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Todd the Jedi very interesting thoughts; I felt kinda bad for bringing it up repeatedly with no one responding but now I'm glad I did. I think you and I are on the same page about Sek'nos - it had to have been a pretty crazy Force power for him to have reacted like that. Only having the air-twirl-thing in one panel makes it hard to know exactly what happened though. Hopefully we get an answer from jfostrander01 at some point. Your theory about Force-phasing is fascinating, I wasn't familiar with that Force power. It seems familiar if not identical to Mother Talzin in Massacre and Orphne in Mercy Mission, both of TCW (as I know you know, but this is lit).