main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #3 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 27, 2013.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi—The Prisoner of Bogan #3

Xesh and Daegen Lok are on a mission to build Forcesabers—a weapon that Lok knows will take him closer to his vision of being leader of the Je’daii.
    But the Je’daii Rangers are on the pair’s trail, and this first encounter between the Je’daii and the prisoners of Bogan will carry heavy consequences!
    * Origins of the Jedi!

Writer:
    John Ostrander
    Penciller:
    Jan Duursema
    Inker:
    Dan Parsons, Victor Llamas, Mark Pennington
    Colorist:
    Wes Dzioba
    Cover Artist:
    David Michael Beck

Preview

This is out today. I'll post my thoughts later. But some more Kwa goodies!

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    one never can get enough Kwa... or their reactions to Rakata skulls hehehe...

awesome comic! congrats to the makers.. I want more!

Cronal likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Should get this later tonight...

I was looking everywhere for this thread earlier, can't believe someone didn't make it already! Or maybe they did, on the Temp boards?

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's odd, there was a thread for every issue but this. Just never got made.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  5. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Great issue, loved seeing a group of Ikotchi. The Kwa were awesome too.

6. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Spast! This was a great issue. Loved the cute Rakata/Indiana Jones and the Crystal skull connection with the Kwa Holocron. I'm a little surprised that no one is discussing the issue...at all. I love this era and comic. Excellent work as always John and Jan!

Cronal likes this.
  7. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Agreed, another fantastic issue. Lok is really crazy and darkside. His "mind twist" trick... damn, that is scary.

8. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Good issue and just loving the exploration of the Kwa and Rakata. Wonder if this means the Tho Yor were made by them.

9. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    I have been thinking on it & I am wondering if it wasn't the Ones who created the Tho Yor to gather the Je'daii. The Ones were all about balance and seeing as how the Je'daii are all about Balance... Just a thought.

10. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I loved the ending espically with Tirll saving red guy. I also liked the force mind attack (a form of 'terror' for the KOTOR games?) and the fact he now wants an army. Next issue should be good.

11. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Myself and others believe that the Tho Yor might be Celestial craft and thus might also be linked to the Ones as both the Celestials and the Ones are now connected to one another. The Mortis monolith even shares some elements of a Tho Yor-ish design. Could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if the Ones created the Je'daii.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm really not seeing the Kwa-Tho Yor connection. What I'm wondering is:
    1. Is Rath meeting Trill connected to the future of the Sith?
    2. Who does Lok have in mind for an army?

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Great issue! I say it almost every time, but I'm almost always amazed by how much they pack into just a few pages!

* Kwa!

* Trill sure did get to the Tython system fast... why wasn't she detected?

* the "Mind Twist" is damn scary (and so is how easily Daegen Lok can look into people's mind and know their greatest fear after just a few seconds)

* I like how Xesh criticized Lok on it... Lok is very much the Sidious, and Xesh the Vader

* Xesh's reaction to the Je'Daii appearing to bring him back to Bogan is also very understandable, the Je'Daii's approach is all wrong with him, they should never have delivered Xesh to Lok...

* how can the people already be so distrustful of the Je'Daii??? All the Tythans descended from the original Je'Daii! Some things just never change...

* I like how many planets we got to see, just in this issue (the crystal planet, the toxic planet, the proto-Alderaan)

* why do I feel like Shae is the great-great-great(x1000)-grandmother of Mara Jade? :p (though honestly, if she has kids, she's probably the ancestor of half of all human characters we've ever seen)

* still interested in how everyone, from the Kwa to the Tythans to the Rakata to the ancestors of the Sand People all speak and know the exact same language...

Well, I was going to comment last night, but the boards were broken for like 12 hours!

14. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    You know what I just made the visual after reading your reply, can't believe I connected all the other dots but the most obvious.

15. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    I was thinking the same. Sekie will bring the dark side to Korriban.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I got the idea from a DOTJ review that suggested it.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Assuming the board doesn't go down again....

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed at how little the kwa holocron said. I wasn't expecting tons of answers, its too early for that, but while the background info it gave is new to the Je'daii, don't think it said anything else about Tython. It basically came down to:
    "This is the emergency kwa hologram. Please state the nature of your mystical emergency."
    "What species is this?"
    "Scanning... Rakata!" poof.

And ouch, that's a nasty trick, the mind twist, seems perfect for later Sith, but apparently he was already doing stuff like that before his exile, so you'd think he would get a worse punishment rather than just being left alone to his own devices, but guess the Je'daii are still naive.

Lok is definitely the main villain, Xesh is still a bit neutral. As the Jedi just want to leave him on Bogan again, he's taking his chances with Lok... who seems to still have a lot of old contacts left from the Despot War so his army will probably be related to that too.

While the entire Tython system population is descended from the people the Tho Yors brought, its been millennia, so there's been enough time for a sizable non-Force sensitive population to develop. And we're mostly seeing the fringe areas at the moment, so of course they'd be distrustful of the Je'daii. If anything, the non-Force sensitive population might be even more resentful of the Je'daii then normal because originally everyone was Force sensitive, and then some were born who didn't have special powers and they had to leave Tython. They weren't kicked off, so much as Tython was too dangerous for non-Je'daii.

Trill sure got there fast. Wonder if she'll have time to send back the coordinates for the Tython system or not, she's kind of obsessed with getting revenge on Xesh at the moment. Interesting combination of Sek'nos and Trill there, potentially dangerous. Sek'nos has shown some troubling signs, but he did sacrifice himself to save that other Je'daii.

The issue moved along quickly, and advanced most of the plots, just too bad looks like things are just going to get worse for the Je'daii.

18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I pity Daegen Lok. He was banished just because he had a vision.
    No wonder he reacts that way when he encounters Je'Daii!

I do not believe Lok will be the one leading the army...

19. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I wonder if the army is made up of the losers of the despot wars?

20. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    I think the army is going to be a boat load of Force Hounds or Rakatan, lead by Xesh or Lok (who Xesh introduces to Rakatan).

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I find this series disappointing so far.

The Je'daii are basically like normal Jedi except they use conventional swords and claim they use the dark side (but never actually do).
    Lok is your basic Sith.
    Xesh is your basic Sith goon.
    We didn't see how the Je'daii discovered their force powers. The order seems as fully developed as in, say, legacy.

I was expecting some new and innovative stuff. But even the grey paladines of Reaves are more inventive than this!

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, we learn in this issue that it was more than the vision that got Lok banished... he was also practicing that "Mind Twist" on people.

23. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I couldn't disagree more with everything you've said.

24. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    This issue mentioned he was also doing some crazy mind stuff to people. Convincing other they are burning alive just isn't cool.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Considering the time, I expected something completely different. Jedi who work as bodyguards for powerful rulers (like Samurai) using blasters instead of swords. Jedi who don't know yet there are two sides of the force. Something wild, something new.
    Instead the order functions pretty much like it functioned later. Everything is already in place. Swordfighting, Master-Padawan relationship, oligarchical rule by the wisest Je'daii, babbling about "balance"...