Beyond - Legends Dawn Over Endless Night (Z/OC, J/TK, J/J) UPDATE 2-5! Survey up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lusa_Thul, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Ok, this is my first fanfic (on this site, anyway), so lemme know how I'm doing. Hope it's ok!

Oh, also, I should note that I have a strange habbit of putting songs at the begining of my fics which I think fit the mood of the post. If they weird you out, just ignore them, but they amuse me. The song at the begining of this post basicly states what I feel my relationship as a writter is with Zekk. Alright, got that explained, lets get going...

Author: Me! Lusa_Thul

Rating: PG-13

Genre: Romance, angst, action, I dunno, its got a little bit of everything in it.

Disclaimer: I don't own Star Wars, which is a major bummer, but what can you do? I do own the character of Deirdra though.

Summery: About a month after The Unifying Force Zekk plans to go find the missing Jedi Raynar Thul. Before he can depart, Master Skywalker assigns him an apprentice who has emerged shattered from a horrifying past. The two have lots of lovely adventures Jedi-ing around and stuff. Should be fun.
    Part 1

O courteous mantuan soul, whose fame still lasts
    in the world and will last as far as the world will go,
    my friend, not the friend of fortune, on the
    deserted shore is so blocked in his journey that he has turned back for fear;
    and I am afraid that he may be already so lost
    that I have risen too late to help him, according to
    what I have heard of him in heaven.
    Now go, and with your ornamented speech and
    whatever else is needed for his escape, help him so
    that I may be consoled.
    I am Beatrice who caused you to go
    I come from the place where I long to return.
    Love has moved me and makes me speak.

Beatrice
    , Mediaeval Baebes, (Original text, mediaeval Italian, excerpt from Dante?s Inferno)

The warm, red sunset reflected dazzlingly off the Mon Calamari ocean as it sank below the horizon. Its rays illuminated the neat, sparse room that Luke Skywalker used as an office, casting golden highlights in his graying hair. The Jedi Master sighed in contentment, enjoying the fact that he could watch such a sight in peace, now that the war against the Yuuzhan Vong had finally ended. His ice blue eyes clouded over as his thoughts strayed back to the friends he and the rest of the galaxy had lost over the course of the fight.A soft knock of the door drew Luke?s attention back to the present, and he turned away from the window, and took a seat at his desk. ?Come in.? He called.

The door opened, revealing a tall, wiry young man standing behind it. His long, dark hair brushed the shoulders of his dark grey jumpsuit. It contrasted sharply with his pale skin and deep, emerald green eyes. Luke nodded in greeting. ?Zekk, please, come in.? He said, gesturing at a seat across from him. The young Jedi did so, regarding Luke curiously.

?I suppose you are wondering why I asked you to come here.? The older man began, considering the best way to say what he needed to. He decided to get straight to the point. ?Zekk, have you ever considered training an apprentice??

To describe Zekk?s expression as ?mildly shocked? would have won the Understatement of the Year Award. ?What?!? The Jedi spluttered. ?I mean, no Master, I hadn?t. Why do you ask?? He sounded nervous, as if he expected Luke to pull out a blaster and shoot him.

?Because we recently received a new trainee, a girl about your age.? Luke replied, struggling not to laugh. ?She desperately needs training, and most of the other qualified Knights are off on missions or working to help restore order to the galaxy, so I thought I would ask you.?

?You said most of the other Knights. Not all. Couldn?t someone else train her?? Zekk begged. He knew he sounded selfish and whinny, but he couldn?t help it. He had always been something of a loner, even more so after the war, which had cause him to drift away from the few friends he had. Taking an apprentice was not something he had planned on doing in the near future. Or in any future, for that matter. What?s more, Zekk had been planning to go search of Raynar Thul, who had been missing in action since Myrk
  2. RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Master

star 7
    Very intriguing, Lusa. And she's mute? That's quite unique and interesting.

'I shall follow your career with great interest...'
  3. -Tenel-Ka- Jedi Master

star 4
    I like this!! Keep on posting cause it's quite interesting so far~ :D
  4. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    *Does the 'I have readers!' dance* Thanks! Glad you like it. The first two chapters are gonna be kind of boring, because I'm doing the whole setting up the plot thing, but then it gets more exciting. :)
  5. AvenKiel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Awwww Zekkie...

Nice first post! Keep going, this looks interesting!
  6. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    If it involves NJO, I normaly shun it.

But if involves NJO and Striker likes it, I read it.

good start young one, youve just taken your first steps into a larger world.
  7. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Gasp, even more readers! How exciting!

I really can't stand NJO either. I'm using this as an attempt to fix Zekk after NJO messed him up. It made me very sad! :( I was also bugged by how Raynar just disapears, so I wanted to send someone off to find him. Oddly enough, those were the two things that bugged me the most about NJO. :p

K, I wanna get the boring parts off and posted, so heres the next post.

Part 2

At the spring-head, under the thorn,
    There was a cure for evil, not long ago.
    There beside it stood a maid
    All filled with love unbounded!
    Whosoever seeks true love,
    In her it shall be found.

At a Springe-Wel
    , Mediaeval Baebes, (Original text, 14th century English poem, anonymous)

Zekk arrived at the hanger bay later than he had intended to. He had overslept, mostly due to the fact that he had stayed up half the night worrying about this whole apprentice thing. He was growing more and more annoyed as he entered the hanger, practically slamming the door shut behind him, and earning the angry glance of a nearby mechanic. His green eyes scanned the area, taking in the various pilots, crew members and workers going about their business. There were very few of them about at this hour of the morning, which cheered him slightly. The less people there were, the easier it would be to get out of here on time.

His gaze settled on the Lightning Rod, and a small smile crossed his face at the sight of the battered old ship. He had received a Sekoten seed ship during the war, but it could never replace the old freighter that had been with him so long. His mood brightened as he crossed the grease-stained floor. Soon he would be back aboard his ship, and off where he could be of some use.

As he neared it, Zekk saw a small, slim girl standing near the boarding ramp, her back to him. She was wearing a long, deep blue dress, with long sleeves and a high collar despite the tropical Mon Calamari weather. Her hair fell in long, thick waves to her hips, and, to his surprise, was pure white, like newly fallen snow. He wondered if she was completely human. She must have heard him coming, because she turned to face him. Zekk blinked in surprise. Her skin was the same ivory color as her hair. Not simply pale like his, but stark white. Her eyes, in contrast, were a deep, enchanting blue, like a twilight sky. Her delicate features only helped to heighten her appearance of exotic beauty. He understood now why she had been spared the fate of her family.

The girl?s eyes widened as she saw him, and took a small steep back, betraying her nervousness. Zekk smiled to reassure her, as he asked, ?Excuse me, are you Deirdra?? The girl seemed to relax slightly at the sound of her name. She nodded, her lips moving in speech, but no sound emerged. ?I?m sorry, I didn?t catch that.?

Her face fell slightly, but she repeated herself, this time speaking slower. ?Yes. You must be Zekk.? He nodded ?That?s right. Are you ready to get going, or do you need time to pack up and say goodbye??

He found it easier to understand her this time. Luke was right that once you got used to this way of communication, it was not so difficult. ?I am already packed.? Deirdra gestured to a small black duffle at her feet. "And, besides Master Skywalker, you are the only person I have had contact with so far.?

?Well then, let?s get going.? Zekk replied with a smile as he headed up the boarding ramp. He tried to sound cheerful, but privately wondered just how hard this mission was going to be.
  8. Lonewolf89 Jedi Master

star 5
    Interesting beginning, Lusa! When I noticed that Zekk was in this fic, I just had to check it out. I also loved his character in the YJK books, and I really like how you've written his personality. His reaction to getting an apprentice was very believable considering his past.

?You knew I?d say yes once you told me that.? Zekk accused. :D That?s the way to get him, Luke!

I think I?m going to like Deirdra. Her backstory was interesting, and I?m looking forward to seeing how her relationship with Zekk unfolds.

Very good job, so far, Lusa. I enjoy your writing style, and I can?t wait to read more!
  9. RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Master

star 7
    Nice little transition post.

Yes, I agree with Zekk keeping the Lightning Rod. And the description of Deirdra was quite lovely. It sounds almost like Tionne.
  10. AvenKiel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I also agree with the Lightening rod, Zekk kind of reminds me of Han Solo. Yuo know, orphan, lived on the streets, rogueish pilot? All he needs is a certain Solo companion and he'd be a dead ringer.
  11. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Happy that you all liked it! :)

Lonewolf89
    I really like how you've written his personality
    Thanks! That really means a lot to me, because Zekk is my favoret Star Wars character ever! I've worked realy hard to make sure he sounds and feels right! :)
    I think I?m going to like Deirdra. Her backstory was interesting, and I?m looking forward to seeing how her relationship with Zekk unfolds.
    Hehe, thanks! I have fun writting with her! She and Zekk have some fun scenes comming up! ;)

K_Striker_JK_5
    I agree with Zekk keeping the Lightning Rod
    Me too! I was almost upset when he got a Sekoten Ship. ;)
    And the description of Deirdra was quite lovely. It sounds almost like Tionne.
    Thanks! You're right, actually. I never thought of that. :)

AvenKiel
    Zekk kind of reminds me of Han Solo. Yuo know, orphan, lived on the streets, rogueish pilot?
    Yup, he sure does! 'cept Zekk's cuter! [face_love]
    All he needs is a certain Solo companion and he'd be a dead ringer.
    Maybe, maybe not. Wait and see! :D
  12. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Yay! Part 3. :)

Part 3

Love delivered me
    And love created me
    To be your companion?
    So you should fear nothing
    For I have looked for you
    Both day and night
    In order to be your haven;
    I have done well
    For I have won you in battle.

Love Me Broughte
    , Mediaeval Baebes, (Original text from ?The Commonplace Book of John Grimstone?, 1372)

Zekk had decided to start his search for Raynar at Myrkr. It was the last place any one had seen him, and Zekk hoped that with his talent for finding things, he might be able to pick up on something there. The journey would take several days, both because the Lightning Rod was not the fastest ship in creation and because Zekk had purposely programmed a course that would take them on a longer, more round about way, in order to give him more time to train Deirdra.

Training her did not prove to be as difficult as he had feared. She was a surprisingly quick learner, with a sharp memory, so she had no trouble picking up the skills he taught her. The one think she had trouble with, if it could be described as such, was lightsaber training. When Zekk handed her a stunbaton, showing her the basic stance, and picked up another for himself, Deirdra had shook her head, lowering the weapon, and refusing to power it up.

?I won?t fight.? She told him. ?I have seen too much violence. I will not be the bringer of it to others.?

?There might be times when you don?t have a choice.? Zekk replied, mildly annoyed by her protests. ?Suppose you are attacked by an opponent with a lightsaber, and you are unarmed. What than??

?Attack me, and you will see.? Deirdra mouthed, as she tossed her weapon to the ground. Zekk sighed, raising his stunbaton and advancing slowly. He didn?t want to attack her at all, but maybe if she thought he would, she would raise her own weapon. He respected her views on violence, but he would have blamed himself if she was killed someday because she refused to carry a Jedi weapon. He brought the baton downwards in a slow swing, giving her plenty of time. Instead of grabbing her own weapon, however, Deirdra took a small step back, slipping easily out from under the attack. Zekk tried again, faster this time with the same results. Impressed by her agility, he began to fight in earnest, the blade flying through the air in attack patterns to fast for anyone but a Jedi to dodge. It was like fighting a shadow. Deirdra danced out of the way of each of his moves, never once letting the stunbaton touch her, or retaliating against him. Finally, after almost 15 minutes of this, Zekk stopped, steeping back and lowering his weapon. ?Alright, you win.? He said with a laugh.

Deirdra grinned, the first true smile he had seen on her beautiful face since they had met. Her white skin was slick with sweat, but her blue eyes shone with triumph. ?Thank you, Zekk.? Her lips said.

Zekk had decided to bring the Lightning Rod out of hyperspace over Yavin 4, before laying in the final course to Myrkr. Deirdra sat in the copilot?s seat watching, though she had not buckled her crashwebbing. Zekk flipped a lever, bring them back to realspace, just in time for a laserbolt to strike the ship.

Zekk cured, throwing the Lightning Rod into a spin, as he took in the situation. It was a motley collection of ships, though more than enough to take out his. The comm unit crackled to life. ?Unidentified ship, this is Traitor?s Death, of the Peace Brigade. Power down your weapons and prepare to be boarded, or you will be destroyed. Repeat, power down, or you will be destroyed.?

He could feel fear pulsing off Deirdra, but she kept herself under control, despite her past experiences with the Brigade. Zekk was surprised to find them here, but not shocked. After the war, most of the members of the Peace Brigade had opted to go rogue, knowing they would be treated as traitors and betrayers in the Galactic Alliance. As a result most of them had become little better than pirates and thieves. He glanced at his apprentice, muttering
  13. Agent_Jaid Jedi Master

star 5

*squeals happily* :D [face_love] :D Ohhh!! He's so pretty!! *stares adoringly at Zekk*

Lusa!! It's perfect!! I love it!! Zekkie lives!! And he's not an idiot!! And he's really cool!! And I'm speechless! And I love it!! I really really do!! :D

*bounces around gleefully*

:eek:

I was suprised ad Deirdra's (did I spell it right? :confused:) skill at evading. Will she ever really fight? [face_thoughtful]

14. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    [face_laugh] Lol Mel, I'm overwhelmed! Glad your pleased with it! *joins in staring adoringly at Zekk*

As to whether or not Deirdra (yeah, you spelled it right! Yay!) ever gets to fight, just wait and see! ;)
  15. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Oh, man, I really like Deirdra. This is a great start, Lusa_Thul.
  16. Dalsy2025 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i wonder whats going to happen next
  17. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
  18. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Yay! More readers! How exciting! :)

DarthIshtar
    Oh, man, I really like Deirdra.
    I do too! I had fun creating her! :)
    This is a great start, Lusa_Thul.
    Thanks! :):):)

Dalsy2025
    i wonder whats going to happen next
    Wait and see! :D

Wes_Janson
    I like, I like
    I'm glad, I'm glad!
  19. Vongchild Jedi Master

star 5
    Wonderful, Lusa! Your chapters are the perfect length (I have no clue what you meant about them being to short) and your writing is wonderful.

attention span of a goldfish my foot.

To describe Zekk?s expression as ?mildly shocked? would have won the Understatement of the Year Award.

LMAO!
  20. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Yay, its my sidekick! *high five* Oh, oh! *points at first part of signature* Look look look! Guild buddy! :D Well, if I don't have the attention span of a goldfish, how about a rodent?
  21. RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Master

star 7
    Nice little post, Lusa. Pretty smart of Zekk there, and Peace Brigadiers? Darned traitors.

Nice method of nonfighting with Deidra there.
  22. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Ok, Here's part 4! Hope you like it.

Disclaimer: The song sung in this part is An Adult Lullaby, by the Mediaeval Baebes, origional text 14th century English, anon. As an interesting side fact, this is the oldest known lullaby. Cool, no? :)

Part 4

No more talk of darkness,
    forget these wide-eyed fears;
    I?m here, nothing can harm you,
    my words will warm and calm you.
    Let me be your freedom,
    let day-light dry your tears;
    I?m here, with you, beside you
    to guard you and to guide you
    All I Ask of You
    , from Andrew Lloyd Webber?s The Phantom of the Opera

Zekk managed to stay in his seat, but Deirdra was not so lucky. She was flung across the cabin, and bounced off of the control panel. Reacting quickly, Zekk stood and caught her before she could hit the floor. Her body instantly stiffened. Before he could react, she spun and punched him hard in the eye. Zekk bit back a cruse. He wouldn?t have thought such a small girl could hit so hard.

She tore herself out of his arms, backing away until she ran into the wall. Her deep blue eyes were wide with horror, and her lips were moving to fast for him to follow all of what she was saying as she sank to the ground. Most of it was clear though. ?No!...please, no?oh stars?no, oh please no...!? She stared past him, unseeing, and through the Force Zekk caught a flash of an image. A man grabbing her as he had done, striking her when she resisted, ripping off the pitiful rags that were all that remained of her clothes, laughing drunkenly as he ran his hands roughly over her body?

Of course, Zekk realized in dismay. By grabbing her, I reminded her of her past, of what has been done to her. He looked at the girl huddled against the wall. He had never felt anything like the sheer, raw terror that radiated off of her. Not knowing what else to do, he slowly lowered himself down next to her. She was so lost in memory that she did not even notice him. Carefully, he put his arm around her shoulders. She froze for a minute, then continued with her trembling, although she did not pull away from him. After a moment, Zekk began to sing a lullaby from Ennth.

?Lollay, lollay, little child
    Why are you crying so hard?
    Because you have good
    Reason to cry.
    It has been your destiny
    for a long time
    to live forever in misery,
    sighing and mourning
    forever
    just like your ancestors
    have always
    done before you
    while they were living.
    Lollay lollay little child.
    Child lollay, lullow.
    You have come into
    an alien world.?

Zekk was mildly surprised at the sound of his own voice. He tried to remember the last time he has sung, and failed. He doubted it had been after his parents were killed, over a decade ago. After that, he had never really had much in his life worth singing about. His singing voice was a deep, soothing bass, the type that sounds kind and trustworthy no matter what the song. The lullaby he had chosen was depressing, but it had been the first one to pop into his head. And it somehow seemed fitting for Deirdra.

He glanced down at the girl curled in his arms. Her fit had passed, and she was staring up at him with wide, tear filled eyes. ?Oh Zekk, I?m so sorry.? She said wretchedly, burying her head in the hollow between his throat and shoulder. He stroked her hair gently as she cried against him. He had to resist the urge to kiss the top of her head, but managed to restrain himself. Finally, after an eternity, or a moment, he wasn?t sure which, she pulled away, wiping her eyes. He released her, and they both stood slowly.

?You should put bacta on that.? Deirdra suggested, gesturing at the spot where her fist had made contact with his eye. Zekk could feel that it would be a nasty bruise. ?Did you hit yourself when we crashed?? She asked.

He regarded her in surprise. She doesn?t remember punching me. He realized in surprise. ?Yeah, I hit it on the control panel.? He replied. No need to make her feel worse than she already does. ?It looks like we are going to be stuck here for a
  23. Agent_Jaid Jedi Master

star 5

Awww!!! It's just so sad!! :(

Poor Zekkie got hit, but, I can see why..

Poor Deirdra!! :_| I feel so sorry for her!! *hugs the poor lil' girl*

:D YAY Lusa!! It was a pretty post!! :D

*dances*

I love it, I love it, I love it!! :D

24. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Hehe, thanks Mel! I felt bad hitting Zekk, but it had to be done. *noble look* :D
  25. RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Master

star 7
    Oh, quite nice. The lullaby was pretty, and the fact that ist's the oldest known lullaby is pretty cool.

Zekk singing? Hmm...neat.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.