main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Day of Defeat

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DUM-4, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    I don't even have Half-Life installed anymore. Think I should pop it back in to give DoD a go?

I find DoD a mixed bag. The background warfare sounds and the Axis soldiers uttering the usual commands in German is a nice touch. However, the innacuracy of many of the weapons will give the casual Counter-striker or HL-mod player some pause. You basically have to stop completely on your tracks to accurately fire your semi-automatic rifles, or crouch or go prone to deploy your machine gun. The obvious problem there being you become a sniper meat if you don't have good enough cover. Or my favorite, seeing a grenade land in front of you and your soldier takes forever to get up and run away from the grenade (in most instances, you can't). This in a type of game where you should be constantly moving. But I guess that this is one Half-life mod where camping or staying put is more than acceptable (if not mandatory) in other to defend your control areas.

If you're into the whole WW2 game mania that's currently reigning right now, go out and D/L DoD. Just like any other HL mod, you can run this on nearly any current computer and doesn't ask the system reqs of MOHAA or BF1942. The models are pretty good, but the gameplay is rather simple, since the mod currently consists of Checkpoint/Control Area dominance maps.

2. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Or my favorite, seeing a grenade land in front of you and your soldier takes forever to get up and run away from the grenade (in most instances, you can't).

You could always pick it up and toss it back. :p

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Like that's possible. I have no idea how many times I've tried it, but I've always managed to blow myself up in the process.

4. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    You could always pick it up and toss it back.

Oh, yeah right. You try it. :p

5. DUM-4

Nov 19, 1999
    Done it. It's not easy, but it can be done. Nothing's better than killing someone with thier own nade. :p

6. DUM-4

Nov 19, 1999
    Forgot to mention, but Tuesday they started asking for people who can host the update.

Edit: Just read an interview on HomeLan that had this piece of info.

" DoD v1.0 is scheduled for in-store release around the world on Tuesday, May 6. The update for the MOD version will be released Thursday, May 1."

Looks like the patch should be out today. I'll buy the retail version too since it has some added features, as well as showing my support for this great game.

7. DUM-4

Nov 19, 1999
    Update:

The much-anticipated Day of Defeat v1.0 modification for Half-Life / Counter-Strike retail will be released today on the internet via mirrors around 1pm PST. Client and server files will be available.

8. DUM-4

Nov 19, 1999
    Am I the only one here who has this? I haven't even played Planetside since I downloaded it.

9. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Yeah, I've been playing it for the last two days. I love it. DoD blows away BF1942 in terms of infantry gameplay. There is just no comparison.

10. DUM-4

Nov 19, 1999
    Glad to hear you're playing it. I totally agree. BF1942 is fun if you want tanks and planes, but DoD is still king in urban fighting. I'm glad they have some more objective based maps now even though capture points are still the norm.

11. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    I would but i dant have the game.

12. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    I like DoD a lot, haven't played teh lastest release but I feel that Battlefield is a bit ahead of DoD in terms of overall experience. The infantry combat and large amount of classes + weapons are one thing I like about DoD, however it's the scale and vehicles in Battlefield that edge it ahead. The ships/tanks/planes take large scale WWII combat to a new level. It will be interesting to see what both offer in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.