main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Daylight Savings: Keep or throw away?

Discussion in 'Community' started by AstroDroid88, Feb 27, 2016.

?

Should we keep or throw away daylight savings?

1. Keep

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Throw away

26 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    With daylight savings time beginning just around the corner, I thought it'd be interesting to see what you guys think about whether or not we should keep it. Should we keep daylight savings and have it be light out at 8 or 9 all throughout the year or have it be shorter days? Because every year, almost ever state in the U.S. switches their clocks twice a year. The only states I know that don't do this are Arizona & Hawaii. In your mind, what are the benefits of keeping daylight savings or what are they when we throw it away? Personally, I love having daylight savings. Sure, I do lose an hour of sleep but I get used to it and I just love having the sun out later during the evening. There are pros and cons to this but am interested to hear what you think

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is this a hidden poll? Declare yourselves, you cowards. Have the courage of your convictions.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not "shorter days." The days are the same length. The sun stays out the same amount of time no matter what we do to the clocks. The difference would be that without daylight savings time, the sun would come up an hour earlier and go down an hour earlier.

The entire idea of "saving energy" is bull****, especially in warmer climates. The sun stays out later in the day means the temperature remains hot which means the air conditioner runs more.

It's stupid and outdated and needs to be gone. The only arguments I have ever heard for keeping it were emotional, not scientific. "B...bu...but I don't WANT the sun to go down before 9 or 9:30 pm!"

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I voted to throw it out.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I voted to keep it. Here, it is very nice to have light late into the evening, especially when hiking. Besides, I'm not a morning person.

Jhawk117 likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    None of the above, thankfully.

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I vote to get rid of it. The changing of the time messes me up for at least a week and it's annoying.

And when you work over the time change it's quite a pain. Not only do you have to work an extra hour when we 'fall back' but then I'm always confused as to when to give things. If I have to give a medication at 0100, do I give it at the first one or the second? Also, if I document something happened at 0130, how does someone know if it was the first one or the second? No matter what, it can screw things up.

10. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    I always forget to change my clocks for a few days [face_tee_hee] If i didnt have a device that does it itself (Phone/PS4) i'd be lost until someone mentions it to me.

11. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Precisely this.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Technically we'd be throwing out standard time, since daylight saving (no "s") time is what we're on for the majority of the year. [face_beatup]

But yeah, there's never really been much point to time changes.

13. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    keep it cus that day you get an extra hour of sleep is the best day in the year. it's better than my birthday. and everyone else's.

tom and jp-30 like this.
  14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Throwing out standard time makes sense, throwing out dst is stupid. As you'll find out when you have kids. Keep the little tykes outside an hour longer.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I just stay up an hour longer on that night. :(

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Yeah.

There's no reason to support the constant switching, just stick with the one that everyone seems to like.

AmySolo likes this.
  17. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013

does such a thing exist?

18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Also, sending them to school in darkness during winter is not a great start to the day

jp-30 and AmySolo like this.
  19. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
  20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It means nothing to me except that some favorite TV shows are earlier in the evening than I'd prefer. So throw it out.

21. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    The switching back and forth is pointless and dangerous. Get rid of standard time and just stick to 'savings' time.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want to get rid of daylight savings and stick to standard. I like an early sunrise and as I said...energy savings during the summer.

23. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    One of the things that bugs me about it is solar noon is at 1:00 during DST. I've never been a fan of it and would not lose any sleep over losing it.

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'd be all for getting rid of standard time and keeping DST. Being to work before 6 often means I don't see the sun early anyway. I'd rather it stay lighter when I do notice it.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I say we get rid of time altogether.