main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Daylight Savings: Keep or throw away?

Discussion in 'Community' started by AstroDroid88, Feb 27, 2016.

?

Should we keep or throw away daylight savings?

1. Keep

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Throw away

26 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I agree with Frieda... ditch standard time and make DST standard.

2. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I don't know. Everyone always makes a big deal about needing the extra hour in the winter, but I don't really understand that. If the sun sets at 5 and the clocks go back in the winter, then the sun would set at 4.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    As much as I love falling back and gaining an hour of sleep [face_laugh] no one else on the globe is on it and it's ridiculous. Springing forward :rolleyes: that whole week after I'm sleepy. :p Besides what AFS1983 said:
    The entire idea of "saving energy" is bull****, especially in warmer climates. The sun stays out later in the day means the temperature remains hot which means the air conditioner runs more. And as one who lives in a very very warm part of the U.S., that is definitely beyond dispute!

4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    don't they mean the extra hour in the morning, tho?

i mean, here the sun rises at 10 in december. it would be 11 if we didn't adjust the time. it's dark when we leave in the morning and dark when we go home in the afternoon. just one hour earlier helps a lot, at least now when the sun rises around 8. it would be tiresome to go another month without seeing any light in the morning when i go to work.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm at about 35 degrees north in latitude. In the summer, the sun rises around 6 am and sets at around 9 pm. Without DST, the sun would rise at 5 am and set around 8 pm. I'm not sure why an 8 pm sunset would be "too early." I have stayed that late at the pool with my kids before but it's not a necessity.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ~first shift problems~

(Put me down for either scrapping Standard Time and replacing it with DST, or for reversing them; I hate how early it gets dark in the winter; and I don't care what time the sun comes up because either way it's always going to be too soon for me).

AmySolo likes this.
  7. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    They might. I feel like people say they don't like to come home to darkness, which doesn't make sense, because dst makes that happen. I am probably wrong. Of course most of the US isn't as far north as you are, so I don't think the morning change has the same impact on a lot of people here.

8. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    well then they're stupid. and it wouldn't surprise me if people actually believe that that is how it works.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Like the old Native American said, "Only the white man would be so foolish as to believe he could stay warmer by cutting a foot off the bottom of his blanket and sewing it to the top."

10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Just like Zapdos I live so far north that it's dark when I get up and dark when I get home most of the winter. DLS does have an effect, but only if we were to switch earlier. Now the switch is so late that the mornings are a bit brighter for a week and then it's dark again.

Skickat från min GT-I9515 via Tapatalk

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Daylight saving is great, I love being able to be out after work with the sun still up.

It goes on for too long though.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  13. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Yeeey.

Cheersandwhiteflagsfrombehindtherock.gif

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    my only day off this week and i lose an hour of it. :(

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Now if we lost an hour during the work week, I'd be more prone to it, but it needs to go.

AmySolo likes this.
  16. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Will somebody please think of the dairy farmers?

AmySolo likes this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The sun has been consistently waking me up early for the past couple weeks so I'm eager for DST.

But they can pry that hour out of my cold, dead hands.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    When I use to work in the inpatient hospital setting I worked every other weekends, for 30 years. Until they changed when DLS happened it was always my weekend to work. After I changed positions we work no weekends and then they changed when DLS happened and it wasn't on my work weekend any longer. UGH!

19. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Okay I will.

I think they've had their fun and it's time to change. :D

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Doesn't matter to me IMO

22. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I live fairly north also (grew up literally right on the US/Canadian border, now live about 2.5 hours south of it). While I like having the earlier light in the winter, I prefer it not getting dark so early at night. There are days during the winter when I literally don't see the sun as I am at work before it fully rises and by the time I get off work it has already set again.

That said, I would rather just set the clock and keep it there, not constantly changing it. With all the places here in the US that do and don't honor DST it just gets too confusing.

Living on the border it was even weirder half the year SK would be on the same time as us, and half the year there would be an hour difference. Other places have the same issues where one places has DST and the place next to it doesn't.

I say we pick a setting and just stay with it.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  23. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    DST: Now we can spend all summer pretending we have some control over the passage of time.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Being a night shift guy, at the summer solstice, the sky starts turning light around 3:45 AM here. Without daylight savings time, that would instead be 2:45 AM. People would be sleeping through several hours of daylight.

Conversely, if it were daylight savings time all year, at the winter solstice, the sun would rise around 8:45 AM rather than 7:45.

The system is fine the way it is.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No one likes losing that hour of sleep, everyone likes gaining that hour of sleep. Therefore I propose we scrap springing forward, and instead fall back twice a year.