Before Days Like These (creche Qui/Kyran and other OC's) co-written with Neon_Star Updated 2/21!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Title: Days Like These
    Author(s): Layren and Neon_Star
    Timeframe: Pre JA
    Characters: Qui-Gon, OC's
    Summary: A series of snippets about Qui-Gon's early life with his best friends.
    Author's Note: Hopefully this will be the first of many snippets to be in this series :) I explained how Kyran and Qui-Gon met in Repercussions and I thought it might be fun to expand on their early relationship.. and meet some new friends.

Edit -- Nasty mousepad editing my story without me knowing it...grrrr...*disables touch pad*

Someday

Prologue:

There were many gardens in the Temple, but this one was typically used by the children. It was full of places to run, climb, play and learn the joys of Living Force. In one corner was a pond, deep enough for both children and small schools of fish to swim in. It was the fish that held five-year old Qui-Gon's attention today. He had discovered if he climbed out on a branch of one of the trees that arched over the pond, he had a perfect view of the silver fish that darted near the surface of the water. Leaning out just a little bit further, he could almost touch them.

Eleven-year old Kyran looked up from the literature homework he had been working on, absently pushing his sandy blond hair out of his eyes. He supposed he should have been doing it in his room or the library, but the urge to sit in the sunlight gardens was too strong. A loud splash from the near by pond had drawn his attention.

Without thinking, Kyran dove into the pond and with strong, sure strokes headed towards the child, taking care to keep his head above the water as he swam. Flailing wildly, the brown hair initiate was quickly losing his struggle to stay afloat.

"Keep still," instructed Kyran, wrapping his arm under the boy's as he had been taught. He reinforced the direction with a burst of Force suggestion. Instantly, the boy went limp in his arms. Kyran towed him to the shore, turning him on his side to let him cough out the water he had swallowed.

It felt like he had coughed up the entire pond before Qui-Gon could sit up again. Shivering in reaction to his near drowning, he looked at the boy who had saved him. Kind green eyes were looking back at him in concern out of a slightly round face. Without knowing exactly why, Qui-Gon liked him. Before he could say anything, larger, stronger hands had gently taken hold of him.

"Qui-Gon, are you all right?" asked Perchel, her nose and whiskers twitching slightly.

At Qui-Gon's nod, the Togorian female turned to Kyran. "What happened?"

"I was reading when I heard a splash. I saw that he was in the water over his head and starting to go under, Creche Master. I pulled him out," answered Kyran.

Returning her attention to Qui-Gon, her voice grew stern. "Qui-Gon, were you told not to go into the water without permission?"

"Yes, Master Perchel," said Qui-Gon, pulling his knees up to his chest and wrapping his arms around them.

"This is not the first time you have not obeyed the directions you have been given. You will be spending this afternoon in your bed, thinking about the importance of following instructions." She stood, holding out her hand for the young boy. Bowing slightly towards Kyran, she said, "Thank you, initiate, for helping Qui-Gon."

The five-year-old's chin began to quiver slightly and not all the moisture on his face came from the pond. He got to his feet, placing his hand in the Creche Master's. With his free hand, he waved a good-bye towards his rescuer.

"My name is Kyran, Master Perchel. He didn't mean to go into the water," said Kyran, jumping up. "He was looking at the fish and lost his balance."

"Is this true, Qui-Gon?" asked Perchel.

"Yes. I couldn't see them good from the grass and the branch was near where they were." Qui-Gon explained earnestly, pointing to tree that had served as his observation post.

Sighing, Perchel did not ask Qui-Gon why he hadn't just told her that in the first place. She knew from experience that Qui-Gon would simply
  2. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Did I get first reply???? [face_praying] I hope so! I can't wait to see where you take this. What a great start! Loving this! =D=

3. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey this is great! Loved seeing Shane again! :D He was sooo cool in that lil snippit before :D

Poor Kyran :( he'll get chosen soon otherwise how'd he become a Knight then a Master? ;) hehehehehe!

Great job you two!
  4. Durhelediel Jedi Knight

star 3
    Very nicely done! If you need a beta for stuff, don't hesitate to ask. I know I have a TON of stuff to do in my BUSY day but I'm sure I can squeeze it in... lol Waiting for more!

A question thrown out to the cosmic void: Would anyone care to see Lana's childhood? Could I technically put that in BtS even though she's an OC? If you are interested, let me know please. I've got some great stuff on her stirring...

Again, great job Master Layren and Neon Star!!
  5. SarkaVrae Force Ghost

star 5
    cool! very nice pacing in this--and i like this Shane, he seems pretty nifty! :)
  6. LukesTheMan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Woo hoo! A great story! Loved seeing Qui as a young 'un! :D
  7. CodeName_Targeter Force Ghost

star 5
    Well Layren, you said you liked long replies so now then, I present, my "novel"!! :p

There were many gardens in the Temple, but this one was typically used by the children. It was full of places to run, climb, play and learn the joys of Living Force. In one corner was a pond, deep enough for both children and small schools of fish to swim in. It was the fish that held five-year old Qui-Gon's attention today. He had discovered if he climbed out on a branch of one of the trees that arched over the pond, he had a perfect view of the silver fish that darted near the surface of the water. Leaning out just a little bit further, he could almost touch them.

Ooo, lovely description there, ladies!

Without thinking, Kyran dove into the pond and with strong, sure strokes headed towards the child, taking care to keep his head above the water as he swam. Flailing wildly, the brown hair initiate was quickly losing his struggle to stay afloat.

Hmmm, a young brown haired initiate... Layren's co-writing this story... I wonder who it could be... :p

"Keep still," instructed Kyran, wrapping his arm under the boy's as he had been taught. He reinforced the direction with a burst of Force suggestion. Instantly, the boy went limp in his arms. Kyran towed him to the shore, turning him on his side to let him cough out the water he had swallowed.

Yay for Kyran and the saving of the mysterious-youngling-who-I-am-pretty-sure-is-Qui!!

It felt like he had coughed up the entire pond before Qui-Gon could sit up again. Shivering in reaction to his near drowning, he looked at the boy who had saved him. Kind green eyes were looking back at him in concern out of a slightly round face. Without knowing exactly why, Qui-Gon liked him. Before he could say anything, larger, stronger hands had gently taken hold of him.

I knew it was Qui-Gon! I just knew it!!! And of course he likes Kyran, everyone loves Kyran!! :p

"Qui-Gon, are you all right?" asked Perchel, her nose and whiskers twitching slightly.

At Qui-Gon's nod, the Togorian female turned to Kyran. "What happened?"

Ooo, a Togorian! Very cool! I always loved that species, they're so neat.

"This is not the first time you have not obeyed the directions you have been given. You will be spending this afternoon in your bed, thinking about the importance of following instructions." She stood, holding out her hand for the young boy. Bowing slightly towards Kyran, she said, "Thank you, initiate, for helping Qui-Gon."

Even at the young age, Qui's quite the little rule breaker. ;)

Sighing, Perchel did not ask Qui-Gon why he hadn't just told her that in the first place. She knew from experience that Qui-Gon would simply inform her she hadn't asked. The child was good hearted and never seemed to mean to cause trouble, but somehow trouble always managed to find him. Still, there was something that did puzzle her. The tree was some distance from where the older boy's datapad was. The heavy foliage of the tree would have easily prevented him from seeing Qui-Gon.

Teehee, Qui Qui Qui.... I'm pretty sure that trouble is Qui-Gon's middle name.

Perchel laid a hand lightly on Kyran's head. After a moment, she said, "There is a newly formed bond between you. Most unusual. Come, initiate. We will seek out what this means." Crinkling her eyes, she added in an amused tone, "Although not until we get both of you much drier than you are now."

Ooo, I had been wondering where their bond had started! It started with fish, very interesting. :p

Stones skipped across a still lake and landed in the pond with a splash much too small for the young boy's satisfaction. He picked up another stone and hurled it across the lake, using his Force abilities to try to make a bigger ripple. He knew that was cheating to widen the ripples -- but he didn't care. He was tired of losing. Earlier that day two Master's had been watching him spar with other initiates. Each of the other boys had been chosen to be padawans. But he had not
  8. China_Doll Jedi Padawan

I can completely imagine Qui climbing out a little further to see the fish. (This is coming from a mom who has made 3 emergency room visits, and my oldest is only 5 years old.)

I am all too familiar with that "help mode" Shanes seems to have.

Oh that was so sad with Kyran. I have often wondered about the wisdom of this system with the Jedi. It's hard enough to be that age as it is without having the pressure of being picked or not picked.
  9. Durhelediel Jedi Knight

star 3
    First rule when someone's tring to help you: Don't punch them.

[face_laugh]

That just cracked me up!!!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]
  10. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I liked how you structured this - starting out with the introduction of the two friends and then poor Kyran being upset about not being picked. Terrible age to be so insecure and the Jedi's system of chosing needs serious work!

Good job. I look forward to more.
  11. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    VaderLVR Yep you got it! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy this next bit!

Kynstar You'll be seeing a lot more of him here soon :D Shhh don't spoil the story ;) hehehe. Thanks for reading padawan :D

Durhelediel Thanks ! Glad you enjoyed reading it.

SarkaVrae Glad you like it! We're having lots of fun writing these little fics. Thanks for reading!

LukesTheMan Yay! Another young Qui fan :D more will be up soon!

CodeName_Targeter Dang girl you deliever don't you? :D That first part of the vig was taken from Repercussions that I co-authored with Greencat336. I thought it was perfect just the way it was so I didn't think it needed many changes and there was no better way to describe how they met.

As for Kyran he was just really frustrated and SHane was egging him on :p He has a problem with his temper once in awhile and he's been losing for so long now that he lost his control. Poor thing. Thanks so much for reading and your long review!

China_Doll The system is really hard on little kids especially the longer they have to wait before being picked. It's almost deceptive because each parent gives up a child with the knowledge that they will become a Jedi Knight. Thanks for reading!

Dianethx I most heartily agree with you. The Jedi need to seriously evaluate that system. Thanks for reading!

A new post will be up in a few minutes!
  12. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    This next bit is part one of two. Our first short story arch :D I hope you guys enjoy it!

Nothing Else Needed

Several months later..

They had noticed him as he had entered the garden. They knew him as the loner, a kid that didn't mix with his own age group, preferring to instead spend his free time with a much younger crèche child. They knew him as the one that no Master wanted. But those were just their excuses. The mixed group of young Padawans and initiates were mostly merely bored, and the boy that had entered seemed a good enough target as anything else that had come their way that day.

Kyran headed to the gardens to meet his friend for their daily meditation. The bond grew stronger with their meditation and the grownups had agreed that it would be for the best to meditate daily.

"Hey, Josel?" one of the older boys called as the group approached him.

Kyran's eyes narrowed seeing the group approach him. "What do you want?"

"Gonna meet the baby again?" one of boys sneered as they stopped near him, watching him like a pack of hungry wolves.

Kyran's scowl deepened. "What does it matter to you?"

"Oh, its just that you're an embarrassment to the rest of us, always hanging around that toddler rather then your own age mates."

He glowered at them and stepped away. "Well it's no business of yours. I'm busy. Leave me alone."

"Oh, so you think you're too good for us?" the eldest snapped, stepping in Kyran's path and pushing back. The other boys circled around, the six of them all ready for the fight they were sensing.

"No. I have to be somewhere else. Now get out of here," he tried retain his temper, working hard to keep it under control.

"I think not. Instead, how 'bout we teach you a lesson?" another shove from the eldest, which seemed almost a signal as one of the other boys behind Kyran grabbed the smaller boy's arms.

Kyran fought desperately, bucking hard in his captor's arms as he lashed out with his legs trying to free himself. "Let go!"

The boy behind avoided his kicks, while the eldest approached, "Stay still, Josel, and maybe we'll get this 'lesson' done quick." He drew back his fist, aiming it for Kyran's face.

Kyran ducked the punch and it hit his captor in the face. He smirked as he was freed.

This set the other boys into action, where they automatically jumped in to attack Kyran.

Kyran fought to get out from under and reached out trying to push them off him. "Get off!"

They merely fought harder, some moving to pin him while others set to work punching and kicking at him. Kyran grimaced in pain as he was pinned to the ground and gasped as the breath was taken from him.

"Had enough?" the eldest sneered, finally getting a hit in between the numerous ones his fellows were landing, though much harder then they were aiming for.

Kyran fought harder in reply, groaning a little as he was hit hard. From the feel of it, he knew he would have a black eye forming there later.

A slight sadistic smile, another, harder hit to the face, "You're too stubborn."

Kyran's breath left him as bone crunched in his nose. "Get off me."

"Not a chance," another boy answered, before hitting the ground, due to the sudden weight of a certain winged Padawan.

Shane looked at the other boys with a calm face, though underneath the almost icy blue color of his eyes was near pure rage, "I believe he said get off," came the cold voice.

The eldest waved the other boys away, "Stay out of this, Callister."

Kyran gasped as a foot came down heavy on his back to keep him from getting up from the floor where he'd been pinned.

Shane glared at the boy half standing on his friend, ready to go against his normally passive nature to help his friend, He shifted his weight on top of the boy he had knocked down, "Get out of here. Kyran didn't do anything to you."

"Why? What are you going to do?" the leader sneered.

Something rather dangerous flickered in his eyes, but just as he was about to jump the boy on his friend, a firm voice stopped him, "
  13. SarkaVrae Force Ghost

star 5
    first post?? yay! that's in honor of you, Layren ;)

you guys did another wonderful job! bravo!

I swear he's infected with your stubbornness.. that was too funny! :)

this is a cool story, keep up the good work! :)
  14. Master_Noi Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, poor Kyran! Not only did he get the stuffing beat out of him, but someone else's master had to take care of him b/c he still doesn't have his own.

Shane is fun. Looks like his master has his hands full.

And we see that Qui was even stubborn and did his own thing at a very early age.
  15. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Sarka Vrae Yes I saw you steal the first post ;) Thanks so much hon I'm glad you're enjoying it :D Yes even at a young age, Qui is very stubborn ;)

Master_Noi Yes Kyran is quite depressed at this point because he still doesn't have a Master. However things will get better for him :D Thanks for reading!

Here is a new post for y'all ;) Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~
    "I think you would like this child, Drex," Ke'dran Zephir said as he watched his long time friend, Carth 'Drex' Rixar, train. "And the Force knows you've been in need of a Padawan for a long time," he added mildly.

Drex scowled at Zephir. "What makes you think that?"

"He's got your attitude for one," Zephir said, unaffected by the look he was receiving, "And he's a fair fighter for his age."

Drex arched a brow and turned to look at his friend for the first time. "Oh really? How do you know?"

"I had to break up the fight he was involved in. He was doing well enough against six larger opponents. Also, my Padawan tells me he's very stubborn, but loyal, and honorable. Instantly reminded me of you, actually," a vague smile, then a shrug, ?I just think he would make a good match for you."

Drex looked vaguely impressed at that knowledge. "He held his own against six?"

"Yes, They eventually got him to the ground, but I am sure many of them will be hurting come morning."

Drex smiled a little at that and chuckled softly. "Well, where is he then?"

"At the healers, or at least he was when I left. He should still be there, unless Shane and young Jinn have broken him out," another faint smile from Zephir.

He chuckled heartily at the image. "Our illustrious healer probably would not appreciate that."

Amusement shimmered up in the normally cold eyes, "No, he wouldn't."

"Well I guess I'll talk to him then. How old did you say he was?"

"Twelve."

Drex frowned a little. "When is his birthday?"

"I believe Shane mentioned once that his birthday was five months from his own. Shane is a week from turning thirteen, so that leaves the boy about five months and one week till they ship him off to some crude little planet," Zephir said, guessing what was on his friend's mind.

Drex frowned at that and nodded. "Can you take me to him in the Healers? I'd like to meet him and talk to him."

Zephir stood, "Of course. I have to go pry my Padawan away anyways."

Drex followed his friend to the Healers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kyran was sitting up in bed doodling on his sketchpad when he saw Shane's Master and someone he didn't know trailing in his wake.

Zephir looked around, before nailing the wounded boy with a questioning, but soft gaze, "Hello, Josel. I trust you are doing better?"

He didn't bother to introduce Drex yet. He was saving that for the moment.

"Yes, Master Zephir," he replied politely. He was doing better; at least the room had stopped spinning.

"Good. Do know where my Padawan has flown to now?"

Kyran chuckled. "He took Qui-Gon back to the crèche after the Healers chased them out."

"Ah...Then I had best go clip his wings and get him home. He has much to meditate on..." he moved to walk out, but stopped, as if suddenly remembering something, "Oh, and this is Master Rixar, an old friend of mine. He was interested in meeting you. Be nice to him, Drex." He was then gone.

Kyran's mouth was dry. A Master wanted to talk to him? His heart hammered in his chest and he found he didn't know what to say.

Drex wasn't much better. It had been a long time since he had even considered taking a Padawan, especially since his first had died on that ill fated mission. What Zephir had told him had intrigued him, enticing him to meet the kid, but now that he was faced with him, he had a hard time finding what to say. Finally, he decided on simple conversation, "So, Zephir told me you were in a fight."

Kyran's face reddened at that. "Yes I was. But I did what I could to defend myself," he chewed his lip. "There were more of them than there were of me."

"What were the odds? And why would they jump you li
  16. Master_Noi Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I'm glad Kyran had something good from his misfortune. His new master seems like a good match.
  17. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yay! Kyran has a Master now! :D hehehe what a way to have one find you *snrk* in the medical section hehehehehe

Great work you two! :D
  18. CodeName_Targeter Force Ghost

star 5
    *echoes Kynstar* Yay for Kyran having a Master! And I have to agree with Kynstar, having one find you in the healer's ward is kinda funny. :p

I like Drex, he seems like a very down to earth and cool character. :)

And I'm really really getting to like Shane a ton!!

Great posts you two!

~Jenn

EDIT: And of course, as always, I still love Kyran! :) :p
  19. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Master_Noi Yep Kyran is most relieved that something good came out of so much bad :D Thanks for reading!

Kynstar Hoorah for Kyran! Masters are all over the medical wing you should know that :p Thanks for reading!

CodeName_Targeter I'm glad you like Drex. He's a very new character that we've created. Originally Kyran's master was a man named Master Lan'al but that was before he got married later in life to a woman named Lana. I decided that Lana and Lan'al were too close together and came up with a new character in Master Carth "Drex " Rixar. Thanks for reading!
  20. kateydidnt Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh! Creche Qui! can I just cuddle him up in my arms? Very cute story.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.