main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY DB516 2nd Year Anniv. trip to Montauk Lighthouse via LIRR 10/3/04

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MasterSifo-Dyas, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterSifo-Dyas

MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    - Docking Bay 516 2nd Year Anniversary trip to Montauk Lighthouse via Long Island Railroad Sunday 10/3/04 time TBD -- DB516 will meet at the Merrick Long Island LIRR station (plenty of free parking there) and take a group trip to the Montauk Lighthouse for a picnic. In the event of bad weather, contact will be made on the message boards that morning or by cellphones. Raindate 10/10/04.

This is a great idea. Leaving from Merrick, it should be a scenic ride through Long Island. I hear the trip is about 2 hours. Anyone have a definite number?

Lets come up with a departure time from Merrick.

--Billy

2. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Um, I have something to ask...I know you guys really can't change the date because of one person's clash with it, but just thought I'd say anyway--Oct. 3rd is the same day I'm going with Tim to a RenFaire in far Upper Manhattan, and because he's taking the trouble and expense to fly all the way from the UK just for the weekend I'm going to that no matter what. But I really really really didn't want to miss this picnic trip, I wanted to see the Lighthouse and the shore very badly. I love any trips involving the ocean. I won't die if I miss this, but I'll be quite depressed... :_|

3. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    I wish we could change it for you but that date seemed to be the only one that most of us could attend in October. If we get into November its gonna get cold Brrrr. --Billy

4. Moorglade

Moorglade Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    We need to pick a time, since it's coming up in a few days.

5. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    How about 2:00 PM?

Apparently the train station is nowhere near the lighthouse. What does everyone think we should do?

6. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    Apparently the train station is nowhere near the lighthouse. What does everyone think we should do?

Um... exactly just how far is it from the train station? Is it in reasonable walking distance?

7. Trooper-C

Trooper-C Jedi Master star 1

Oct 14, 2003
    We should take the Montauk express which leaves out of Jamaica station.Otherwise,we'll be spending a good chunk of the day just traveling to and from hitting every stop on the way and having to switch trains.We could still all meet up at the Merrick station and go to Jamaica to catch the express.Ark said he would look into it.

8. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    The problem is getting from the Montauk station to the lighthouse. From the maps, it looks really far. But maybe not. Does anyone know for sure?

9. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    According to my Dad it is not within walking distance of the train station. Its nowhere NEAR the train station.

10. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    Yeah, I just checked a map. The lighthouse is at least 5 miles from the train station, possibly 6 or 7.

Maybe we can find out if there is a bus from the station to the lighthouse...

11. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    There is a bus... but it doesn't run on Sunday.

So, we have two options.

Option A: We all meet at Montauk Point Lighthouse

Option B: We all meet at a predetermined location and caravan there and carpool.

So, what does everyone want to do?

12. ark3

ark3 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2003
    Between the various issues associated with taking the railroad (station too far away from the lighthouse, it takes three hours on the weekends, etc.), I think we should fall back to the carpooling idea. I've discussed this with Dana and we've come up with the following:

Let's all meet at Dana's house at 11 AM on Sunday, October 3rd. Promptly at 11:30 AM we will depart in caravan formation towards Montauk. I expect we should arrive before 3 PM. If you're running late, call me for directions.

You may want to bring:
    - A jacket (it's colder there than it is here)
    - Your lunch (in case you want to eat)
    - A sheet or blanket to sit on the grass
    - A camera
    - Money for dinner (in case you want to eat some more)

(Can you tell Dana was on the phone with me?)

Please let us know if you're attending to help us figure out the cars situation.

Also, if you need directions to Dana's house, please PM StarFromIHJ or email <chapterrep@db516.com>.

13. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    I'll be going, but as of right now I have no clue if Tim or Marie plan on going. As of right now just assume they won't be going.

I'll probably catch a ride with someone else, I really have no desire to drive all the way out to Montauk.

14. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    Well, none of us really have the desire to drive out. That's the problem.

This is what Billy and I are thinking: putting the trip off to next week, and going on Saturday when the busses are running.

15. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Hey Guys,
    I was looking forward to this whole thing because I wouldnt have to drive. The train sounded like fun.
    Additionally, Sunday afternoon - evening will be a nightmare of traffic of people coming back from the Hamptons too. Nice weather is expected this weekend so people will be out there.

Here are the options from my point of view:
    1. See how many volunteers we have who want to drive a car pool. And how many people are coming.

2. Put this off until next Saturday when we can take the train and bus as planned.

I vote for next Saturday. I really wanted to take the scenic train ride.

Let's hear from everybody and make a decision by Saturday night October 2. Majority vote goes.

VERY IMPORANT NOTE: Check your e-mail before you leave Sunday Morning, this trip may be cancelled.

16. ark3

ark3 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2003
    Well, let me remind you guys that it's about a three-hour trip each way if you go by train. If that's what you guys want to do next weekend, enjoy... My vote is for this Sunday, of course, since that's the only day I can make it. And, as always, there is room for three passengers in my car.

To be a little more precise about the LIRR stuff, it's two hours fourty-five minutes from Jamaica departure to Montauk arrival. Take a look at the eastbound weekend schedule and the map for more info. Generally speaking, there are three trains that you'd possibly take, arriving in Montauk at roughly 11 AM, 1 PM, and 3 PM. Each of those trains does not stop in Hicksville or Babylon. So you guys will end up either driving or taking a different train out to Bayshore, or taking a train back to Jamaica first. I would estimate total travel time from wherever you meet to be three hours or more, unless you meet at Jamaica.

EDIT: Chris, the only info I can find on an express train to Montauk is for the Cannonball. Although the linked page doesn't say it, the Cannonball only runs eastbound on Friday evenings. You can see a note about it on the eastbound weekday schedule (scroll down to Note 1).

So anyway, everyone cast your vote. If it turns out that Saturday/LIRR is the way to go, I'll make sure to figure out all the details and coordinate everyone before I disappear.

17. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    I don't think I'll be able to make it next Saturday due to the fact I need to do homework. I got all of my homework out that I was supposed to do Sunday out of the way.

I spoke to Chris today and he offered to drive. So that's already two cars willing to drive and six people attending. That's three in each car.

18. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    I'll go with whatever is easyer. I am available both tomorrow and next saturday, so it really doesn't matter to me. Just let me know what you guys decide.

19. Trooper-C

Oct 14, 2003
    Hey gang,
    As Dana said,I'll be driving tomorrow.I can't go on Saturday because I will be working every Saturday this month(joyous of joys!).Besides,this weekend is the Merrick street fair and finding parking near the train station would be a pain.So,if it's a go or no-go for tomorrow call or email me either way.
    -Chris

20. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Well it looks like were a go for tomorrow (Sunday). See yall at Dana's house at 11 am. The only thing that can stop us now is the weather.
    I'll check here last minute before we leave the house at 1030 Am. --Billy

21. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Well that was great fun. Thanks everybody for making it a success. --Billy

22. Trooper-C

Oct 14, 2003
    Hey gang,
    I had a fun time,also.Couldn't have asked for better weather.The drive was long but scenic.If anyone has doubles of the various group shots we took,I'd like to get a few at the next meeting.I will make doubles from my film roll,likewise.Speaking of anniversaries,today the 11th marks the one year anniversary of my joining DB516 when I met everyone at Star Wars Day #2 in Plainview.One of the best decisions I ever made.I've never been part of something like this before.The things we've done,the places we've been to,the people I've met,it's all been very rewarding.My thanks to all for making this a very eventful year(not too mushy,right?).
    -Chris

23. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Hey Chris,
    Wouldnt be where we are without ya.
    We have great photos of the group that we will put up on the DB516 site soon. You can get them off there. --Billy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.