Amph DC: Infinite Crisis

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

Well, it's half over now, but my goodness, it's holding true to what DC said it would be. A major event, affecting every book.

And how about last Wednesdays latest development, in Nightwing? Of all the spinoffs, of all the things Devin Grayson has written for that matter, I'd say that that last page takes the cake.

(Dick asks Barbara to marry him!)

And we have Batman acting better, Superman being inspiring, Robin being really smart, and all sorts of other great things. In my own personal opinion, Infinite Crisis is by far the greatest crossover that any company has done. It's practically infinite!
  2. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I am enjoying the sheer scope of the whole thing. You have the central mini-series and then the preceding four mini-series, but also dozens of individual issues that have built it up and are moving things forward. DC is great at this, though. Their big events are BIG, unlike Marvel's.

Just compare the ramifications that are going to be felt - or currently are - in the DCU: many heroes and villains have died, predominantly second- or third-tier, but that's not the point. In the comparable event, House of M, some mutants lose their powers. That's it. Most of them, we didn't know nor were we invested in them. I know some claim the landscape has changed in the Marvel/Mutant world, but look at the DCU half-way through!
  3. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    Nightwing's ending was very good which surprise me because Grayson isn't a very compotent writer.

Infinite Crisis as a whole has been excellent(especially for a Batman fan like me).
  4. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Agreed on both counts. After years of DG destroying Nightwing, her closing arc was actually... good! It came as a shocker.

Some other highlights for me:
    -Superboy going crazy killing heroes trying to stop him.
    -The new Spectre!
    -Batman making Earth-2 Superman admit that Dick Grayson is better in the existing world than in Earth-2.

It's all so cool.
  5. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    It really has been outstanding.
  6. Obi_Will_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    I am and always will be a Marvelite at heart. DC, for me, is not as good as Marvel!

Marvel had and still does have more believable characters and the storylines are better as it focuses more on the emotional aspects of their character. Im waaayyy too tired for all of this right now, butI have to admit that Marvel HAS gone a tad bit down hill in recent years, but in my humble opinion, it is miles ahead of DC in the comic book biz.

'Nuff Said.
  7. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    At least Batman seems to be realizing he was a total ass for a while now and is changing it. The scenes with Dick and him are highlights so far. And Dick asked Babs to marry him? What about Starfire in this scenario? I had thought that IC #1 pointed to those two getting back together more than Babs and him. You're right though, it's all being done so wonderfully. Such a fantastic story.
  8. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    DC has more majestic characters than Marvel, more iconic ones. Something that Grant Morrison did well to recognize is that they're properly treated like gods â?? characters like Batman and Superman are the modern equivalents of the Greek or Norse gods. Marvel characters tend to be more down to earth, with day jobs and a greater need to team-up to get things done. Marvel tends to go for character driven soap operas, DC for huge cataclysmic events that threaten everything. Marvel tends to go from moment to moment fairly quickly, with little time in between to let things stand â?? we havenâ??t even gotten very deeply into the repercussions of House of M yet, and weâ??ve already got Civil War on the horizon. Marvel feels to me like it has to go from problem to problem, always something new. DC feels to me like it can rest on its laurels and just tell good stories for long periods of time.
  9. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Guys ready? All the Crisis Counsoling!

The countdown has begun. Over the course of the last year, the heroes of the DCU have been tested like never before. Villains are pooling their resources, former friends are questioning each other's actions, and no one is safe.

Across the entire DCU, events are transpiring at a rapid pace...and as the developments of the last year have demonstrated, what might appear unrelated may actually be interconnected and leading towards a dark horizon.

In IDENTITY CRISIS:

Jean Loring, during a twisted attempt to get back with her ex-husband the Atom, accidentally killed Sue Dibny, the wife of Elongated Man.

During the investigation of the murder, seven members of the Justice League?the Atom, Black Canary, Elongated Man, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Hawkman and Zatanna?met, discussing how they once mind-wiped Dr. Light after he was caught assaulting Sue.

Calculator resurfaced, setting up assignments for metahuman mercenaries.

Dr. Light, seeking protection from the Justice League (who considered him a suspect of Sue's murder), hired Deathstroke. Slade Wilson fought them to a near standstill until Green Arrow plunged an arrow into his eye.

During the battle, Dr. Light remembered that the heroes had purged his memory, altering his personality and intelligence.

Further covering her tracks, Loring arranged for Jack Drake (the father of Robin) and Captain Boomerang to kill each other.

While questioning the Shadow Thief, Firestorm was stabbed and detonated, disappearing in an explosion of energy.

The Flash learned that the Justice League also mind-wiped Batman, who walked in on them as they were "operating" on Dr. Light years ago.

The Atom figured out what Loring had done and turned her over to Arkham Asylum.

In THE FLASH #214-#216, Wally West learned of Barry Allen's involvement in the Dr. Light mind-wipe. He also discovered that they had done the same to multiple villains over the years, including the Top, who in turn had altered the personalities of several of the Flash's rogues.

In ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #636, the Man of Steel learned that the villain called Ruin was targeting his loved ones. Unbeknownst to Superman, Ruin is working for Lex Luthor's newly formed secret Society of super-villains. Following a battle with Ruin, Superman then met with Wonder Woman and Batman, who discussed the option of mind-wiping him, as they had done to Dr. Light.

In MANHUNTER #6, Kate Spencer began the prosecution of Shadow Thief for the murder of Firestorm. Also in that issue, the Society employed Calculator to find someone to "deal with" Shadow Thief.

In GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH, Hal Jordan returned to claim his mantle of the Green Lantern of space sector 2814. In doing so, he gave up the mantle of the Spectre, freeing the entity to once again become the embodiment of God's wrath.

In FIRESTORM #9-#11, Ronnie Raymond returned to life, now bonded to the mind of the new Firestorm, Jason Rusch.

In TEEN TITANS #21, Dr. Light attacked the Teen Titans in an effort to rehabilitate his reputation.

In OUTSIDERS #21, Nightwing learned that Batman had been funding the team. Meanwhile, Arsenal discovered that Deathstroke had been masquerading as the Dark Knight and manipulating the Outsiders for over a year.

In JSA #70, the Society successfully recruited Black Adam.

In BREACH #3, Kobra agents?working for the Society?encountered and battled the transformed Major Tim Zanetti. Luthor's group is now greatly interested in the power that Zanetti possesses.

In WONDER WOMAN #214, Cheetah introduced Zoom to Dr. Psycho, a member of the secret Society.

In COUNTDOWN TO INFINITE CRISIS:

Batman told Alfred that he knows "everything they did" in reference to the Justice League's memory-wiping actions in IDENTITY CRISIS.

Lex Luthor, Deathstroke, Dr. Psycho, Talia, Black Adam and Calculator stood revealed as a cabal of super-villains known as The Society. Its goal? As Luthor told an angry Dr. Light, "retribution."

Adam Strange sent a desperate emergency message to
  10. Obi_Will_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Raven, who would you rather to see stories about? A farm boy with the best powers out of the bag and no apparent weaknesses other than a green crystal or a teenager given superpowers by an accident and stuggling to make ends meet and who is more real in that he can be killed at any time and he stuggles with the same problems many of us face in our lives? I know who I'd choose!
  11. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    As those characters are being written currently, I'll take the farmboy. With the exeption of JMS's Amazing the Spider-Titles have been lack luster. I like two of the Supes titles.
  12. Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i'm really enjoying the read as well
  13. citizenjohn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    WOW

Thanks for the complete update :D
  14. Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yes....wow Soontir-Fel what a post =D=

EDIT; hey we have 2 open spots for the comic book draft if any want to play...
  15. Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    just one spot left if anyone wants to play
  16. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I don't care for Superman at all.

But I'd rather read about a man who lost everything that was most important to him when he was eight years old, who devoted his life to fighting a hopeless battle to try to prevent it from ever happening to anyone else, who transformed himself into a legend: a regular human being who is the match for any god. I'd rather read about a group of young superheroes who have problems like anyone else, and more besides, who know that they?re the best hope for the next generation but who are afraid of what they themselves might become. I?d rather read about a District Attorney who saw one too many criminals who?ve gone on murderous rampages get a too light sentence decide that enough is enough, break into an evidence locker and make herself into a superhero in her own image. I?d rather read about a guy with more problems in his personal life than any Marvel character, who is the sole heir and lone defender of a 10 billion year old tradition of protecting the weak and upholding intergalactic law.

And when it comes right down to it, lives in the DCU in this Crisis period are being lost a lot more than in the Marvel universe.
  17. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Master

star 4
    How did Gordon react to finding out Barbra was Batgirl?
  18. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Batman, Teen Titans, (current) Manhunter, and Kyle Rayner?

And Gordan said he knew about Babs being Batgirl.
  19. citizenjohn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So if Gordon knows his daughter is/was Batgirl, does that mean he knows Bruce Wayne is Batman? I havent read Batman in over a decade but Im slowly getting back into it.
  20. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    So from the "This is your Life Superman" arc in the Superman titles it looks like they're going to rectify the differences between Byrne's "Man of Steel" and Waid's " Birthright" for a difinitive Superman origin.
  21. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Right on all four counts.

As for what Gordan knows, I don't think that he knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman - if I recall correctly, he did not know as of No Mans Land, and I don't think that anything since has changed the status queue. He was unaware that his daughter was Oracle, so as on the ball as he is, he's not infaliable.
  22. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    SCORE.

And Gordon's NML comments were ambiguis.

Batman/taking off his mask: It's the only thing I have to give. Words won't fix it, only actions.

Gordon/turning around: Put it back on. If I wanted to find out who you were I would have done it 10 years ago. For all you know I might have.

It doesn't make anything definient either way.
  23. IceSycle Jedi Padawan

I didn't like the new crisis at first, but it has REALLY picked up.
  24. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    It's been a very slow build. They're not going to be able to maintain something like this, so they had a huge build time on it. Now, we're getting pay-off for three years worth of stories all at once.
  25. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    I thought the second issue was the weakest one so far. Issue one had without a doubt one of the greatest Batman quotes :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.