main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DC Or Marvel?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by -Courtney-, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    Which comic art do you prefer? I like DC because it looks as it does in the cartoons but Marvel looks like it is done entirely by computer & the characters look kind of creepy. In terms of stories I prefer Marvel.

2. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    i like both but prefer DC

3. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
  4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Marvel. From what I've seen, they tend to have a more varied art style, and I tend to like their artists more.

5. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I'd go with DC I like the characters better.

6. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    At this point I am digging DC far more. The stories are more engaging and meaningful to me.

7. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
  8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm definetly a Marvel man. With the exception of a lot of the Vertigo books, ther is very little that interests me that DC puts out.

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I don't really think you can separate the two companies in terms of artistic differences. Different artists work on different books and different books necessitate different styles. It isn't uncommon for artist to bounce back and forth between the big two (or writers for that matter) so you end up with the same people at different companies.

Neither company has a definitive "style" anymore. It isn't like Image in the 90's where you would see a book on the shelf and say "yep, thats and Image book". There are times when a particular style becomes more popular then another (Madureira's "anime" style seemed to be in every Marvel book for awhile) but even then it tends to blend between company lines. You can end up with a very different Spider-man between his books just as easily as you can get a vastly different Superman between his books.

I can't for the life of me think of a single DC book that looks like anything from the Timmverse nor can I picture a single Marvel book that looks computer generated or "creepy".

Either way DC pwns Marvel.

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Overall, I think I like Marvel's characters better.

11. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I don't care if it's DC, Marvel, Dark Horse or whatever. If it has great writing, lovely art and characters I care about, I'll check it out. That being said, Marvel dominates my comic book collection by a pretty wide margin.

12. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Marvel has Wolverine. Therefore Marvel wins. :p

Seriousy though, back when I was first getting into comics I first was attracted to both DC and Marvel equally. For whatever reason I drifted almost completely over to Marvel.

13. resnictem

resnictem Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 3, 1999
    This is like the Simpson's episode where Bart's teacher couldn't marry the Comic Book guy, explaining, 'I'm DC, your Marvel', which he understood perfectly.

I'm partial to Dark Horse, but I also enjoy good story, clever dialouge, & beauitful illustrations.

14. wukeskywakur

wukeskywakur Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2006
    In terms of art it's kindof hard to say because they trade artists back and forth (writers to for that matter) on a pretty consistent basis. In terms of art on individual books I have to say I've been really impressed with astonishing X-men, and though I don't read it the art I've seen from all star superman has been pretty awesome as well.

In terms of which universe I prefer, I have to side strongly with Marvel. I find DC overburdened by their top tier, and by the black and white morallity these characters have had since the 30s. I also feel like because there's less of a top tier at marvel their middle tier has alot more interesting powersets, and they are a more 'diversity of powers' oriented univers. In marvel many powersets can be considered top tier, in DC being really strong and punching hard is as good as it gets. (to the extent that their reality warpers typically operate through strength see SuperboyPrime punching through reality, or Superman 1g punching through to his own time) This and the fact that I am a sucker for the old stan lee characters, He was brilliant at creating charcters who were on the surface very simple and accesable but who were also very complex under the surface, and having both of these realities co-exist within the same character. The great examples of this are Spider-man and Thing, both very complex internally, and both very simple and accessable on the surface.

Also Marvel does have my favorite characters (with the exception of batman who I've had a mad on for ever since I scared the piss out of one of my neigbors by sneaking into their house in a batman costume at age 6 sneaking around behind them, with them knowing something was up but not knowing where or who was quite the adrenaline rush, and I sortof got the fun in batmans fight by fear way of doing things, course they laughed the neigbor was releived and laughed his ass off when he finally caught me, but that's a story for another day) namely Beast, Thing, Magneto and Nightcrawler. (yeah alot of blue fur, I know)

Anyway there's most of my answer in terms of mainstream universes the MU is just more fun in my opinion. The other factor however is that DC's non-central universes (Wildstorm and Vertigo) are head and shoulders above Marvel's spinoff universes. Typically both in terms of art and writing. (although the art on ultimates is great and saves the book from itself alot of the time) In all likelyhood wildstorm may well be the most compelling and best drawn of any of the comic book universes.

wow that was quite a ramble.

15. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I read mostly marvel. I'm very pleased with their art.

16. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I read almost entirely DC. I have little patience for Marvel's shenanagins. I only read Marvel when Stracynski writes.

17. jediDaria

jediDaria Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2006
    MARVEL. And thats that.

18. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Marvel. Freaking love the X-men.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  20. DarkLegacy

DarkLegacy Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2006
    DC

Batman can't be beat.

21. Closson_Chris

Closson_Chris Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    Ya, I am going to go with Marvel.

It put 4 super hereos in one comic.. That's creativity

22. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, I just don't think that DC has a great variety of superheroes.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    DC wins, but only because of the Vertigo imprint.

For the most part, I have little patience for the popular mentality that ensures properties like X-Men and Superman are unquestioningly definitive when comes to shaping the past, present, and future of the medium.

24. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Whose mentality is that?

IDK, it just seems like a lot of the DC heroes are such black and white heroes, whereas everything in Marvel is shades of grey. Well except Cyke.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Whose mentality is that?

Uhh, pretty much the majority of fans and publishing big-wigs, from what I can see. Otherwise, would Superman, Batman, X-Men, etc. still be the biggest thing going in the comics? world after 40+ years?

Take a look at some recent sales figures, and you?ll see what kind of books dominate sales charts.

Obviously, comic books are for good reason still viewed by ?outsiders? as a medium primarily where perennial superheroes go out to fight evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.