main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DC Or Marvel?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by -Courtney-, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Over the last thrity years, DC hasn't been as black and white as it was during the Golden and much of the Silver Ages. A trend began of pulling the heroes into the realm of reality and then into the realm of gray. Since 86, the lines became less defined. Some stories were stunts and some were genuine quality stories. Take 2004's "Identity Crisis". We learn that not only had certain members of the JLA erased the memories of certain villians who discovered their dual identities, but they went one step further with Dr. Light and as a consequence, with Batman. On the one hand, there was plenty of justification for what was done. But then there was the moral and ethical question of what they did. "Countdown", "Crisis Of Conscious", "The OMAC Project", "Sacrifice" & "Infinite Crisis" took it further from "Identity Crisis". In 2002, there was Action Comics #775's "What's So Funny About Truth & Justice". The story featured Superman vs the Elite and the question of which way is the best. Superman who avoids excessive force that will result in death, or Manchester Black's Elite, which has the mentality of "Victory no matter the cost." The Manhunter series features a lawyer by day and vigilante by night, but she's willing to go further than even Daredevil. 1996 had "Kingdom Come" where the issue of which form of superhero was best. Superman's JLA, Batman's JLA or Magog's Justice Battalion. Suicide Squad was made up of former villians forced to work for the government. The current members of the Secret Six are villians who are willing to work both sides, for the right price. Booster Gold in 52 is back to being a hero who wants the fame and glory that comes with his occupation. Green Arrow always wants to take a stand politically. The Outsiders are now covert, willing to go where others fear to tread. Willing to break international laws to get the job done.

2. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Good point. But...I don't think it's really the fault of anyone at the respective companies, because the fans rule the market. If the fans decide one day that superheroes aren't the comic thing anymore, then who knows what we may see.

Thanks for the explanation, darth-sinister.

3. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Marvel, by a long shot( :p ). DC's characters are very uninteresting to me. Hold Batman.

4. Darth_Hoser

Darth_Hoser Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2004
    Marvel all the way! DC characters dont pique my interest the way the x-men and spiderman do. The only good thing about DC is the Man in Black(batman, duh)

5. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    :oops: ugh, that joke was mojorally lame.

As for me, I am almost toally undecided. it goes in phases for me. For about 6 months to a year I'll be totally into a few comics from DC, then it'll switch to marvel in a heartbeat. right now I'm enjoying Marvel. Just picked up the Ultimate Iron Man hardcover origin written by Orson Scott Card. :cool:

6. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well for me its OYL + 52, so my vote goes to DC ^^

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I used to be a Marvel-only fan. Somehow, I started reading DC once in a while and got into it

What I like about DC is that their stories have an impact on the world, especially the "events" like Infinite Crisis. They effect the geo-political climate of the whole world, whereas a Marvel "event" only seems to effect the Superhero community, and not long lasting at that.

8. sarlaccpit_48

sarlaccpit_48 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    It's like this, fans who are asked this question are split right down the middle. Half are for DC. While others are for Marvel. This is like the never ending debate of Star Wars and Star Trek.

Personally I'm split right down the middle. I like DC for Batman and I like Marvel for Iron Man.

Im sorry to tell you -Courtney- but your question will never be answered. So I suggest you move on to bigger and better things.

9. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Mavel. The have better and more original ideas.

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Cool link, Ezekiel.

Heh, Star Wars was quite low in those stats. KOTOR sold under 22,500 quartet issues. I thought USA was fanatic about this stuff . . .

I see thou point, though: it's nothing but the same cliche superheros. This is interesting. I must give it more thought. When you read Batman, it's not like he'll die in the average issue, is it?

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, no and not because they'd never foolishly kill him. But because he's so experienced that Batman is able to defy the odds. Stories set during the early days, where he isn't as experienced, you can see him learn as he goes along. But then, Star Wars has characters that will never be killed off because Lucas says so.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Sure you can. In a trilogy duration, I'd murder them myself.

My innocence and honesty, however, is the question . . .

13. Jedi_xLathrem

Jedi_xLathrem Jedi Knight

Jun 28, 2006

I would choose DC for useing more science fiction in their comics and not just fighting robbers like spider-man. but the good thing about marvle is that they have a little more action. The thing that i dislike about DC and Marvel is that their is an over reaction to their daily life like love and their so called solemates tend to get in the way of the comic but this mosty occurs in movie versions.

14. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Make mine Marvel. I don't mind DC, but really the only characters in DC that have appealed to me have been the Flash (Wally West and Barry Allen) and Batman. Marvel has Spider-Man and Iron Man and those are my favorite characters. I rarely miss an issue of Spider-Man.

15. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    vintage Marvel and modern DC

16. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    I'd probably have to go with DC on this one. Superman and Batman are really my only two favrotie heros and I feel that DC comics have more substance to the characters. What I mean is, that the stories just seem more real to me. I never really liked Marvel because most of their superheros end up fighting these weird villains that don't really make sense to me and that just gets boring after a while. DC tneds to go with science fiction as one person said and really starts to get interesting.

17. Darth_Veliz

Darth_Veliz Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Right now I'm undecided I like a lot of Vertigo comics i.e.
    "The Losers", "Loveless", "100 Bullets" but I'm also really into Marvel's Civil War Summer Crossover.

18. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    I havent read comics in years, but I would have to go with DC for the art, and Marvel for the stories/characters/everything else.

19. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm not a particular comics reader -- I mostly read TPBs well after the fact -- but my interest is almost exclusively in DC. No particular reason, just tend to be more drawn to that universe.

-Paul

20. john_locke

john_locke Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2006
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have not regularly collected comics in some time, but I think I've always like Marvel just a bit more. DC is great, but I think Marvel characters I done just a bit better, or the characters just appeal to me just a little more.

22. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Well, after being away from comics so long and getting back into them with 52 and Civil war comming out. Marvel was easy to catch up on. All the back stories and side stories.

I had to do a bit of research when i started 52 just to figure out what was going on. Batman is my favorite though.

dkt

23. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I like both companies. Here's a list of comics I get from both:

Marvel
    New Avengers
    X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Fantastic Four
    Runaways(decided to give it a try and picked Digests #4&5 and issue #18)
    Mighty Avengers(when it starts)

DC
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Batman
    Justice League of America(and I followed it while it was JLA)
    Supergirl

I'd read more Bat-family books but I really don't want to shell out $100 per month. Also, I don't a LCS so I'm stuck with titles I can find out at my Waldenbooks or Books-A-Million.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.