main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DC Shakes Up Batgirl

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Johnson, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I couldn't find a comic specific thread so admins feel free to lock and redirect. Gail Simone just went on Twitter and announced that DC Comics has pulled her off of Batgirl. Not sure why they are doing this as Simone's take on New 52 Batgirl has been really good. Its one of my monthly must read books despite my worries about doing away with Oracle to put Babs back in the cowl.

Via: Twitter

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Dan Didio's DC reign is bad and he should feel bad.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Funniest thing I've read all day.

4. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Robin just got pulled off Batman.

5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Which one? His ward? His adoptive son? His biological son? His adopted son's girlfriend? His wayward ward?

6. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I was prepared to hate on the new 52 Batgirl. But the last few books have been damn good. Especially the Death of the Family tie-in.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, I know my first reaction to the Joker doing something - quote - "for the lulz" was "Ah yes, truly this is the pinnacle to which comic writing should aspire." What's most aggravating is that she actually is a good writer - as demonstrated by Secret Six, and yet the book has been a constant barrage of "gems" like "I knew it. He's smart. Like me." and "Gordon Barbara Gordon."

Edit: That said, the book's been selling pretty well, so I'll be interested in seeing the office politics that led to this decision once the details start to leak out.

8. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I'm not a fan of the New 52 Batgirl, but it has nothing to do with the writing (which was fine if nothing special in my book.) I just think Oracle was one of the best characters DC had and they took a step backwards in making Barbara Gordan back into Batgirl. I would've much preferred that they use Cass Cain or Steph Brown (neither of which seem to exit in the New 52 universe.)

This seems weird since Batgirl was selling better than expected. It reminds me a little bit of when artist Amy Reeder left Batwoman a few months ago.

And while Batgirl never clicked for me, Batwoman is all sorts of awesome.

GenAntilles likes this.
  9. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    So when will they get rid of the new DC logo in favour of something that looks good again?

[​IMG]

Not that it really matters.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Pity. I've always liked Gail Simone. time to head over to Jinxworld to get gossip (reprehensible, I know).

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Said to hear. I greatly enjoyed her work on Birds of Prey, and she did the best she could with what DC gave her/let her do with Barbara Gordon as Batgirl from what I've seen.

Honestly, still hate the new 52 and still not buying many books.