main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census DC vs. Marvel

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Which is better: DC or Marvel?

1. DC

32 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Marvel

60 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. I can't pick

23 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Amen. But I think Reverend Custer's story had a clear beginning, middle and end. I really can't see how Ennis would be able to fashion a decent sequel when none is needed, just like Sandman. Though Gaiman can get away with penning a special story here and there across many epocs or universes considering his characters are...Endless.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  2. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Agreed. I think it's clear Ennis had an end in sight for Preacher when he started it. I like when there's actually an end in sight. Ongoing titles are problematic because they're forced to tread water all the time.

If I were the god of the comic book industry, I'd make most releases either one-shots, mini-series, or maxi-series. Cut the chaff.

I'm digging this comic book talk, btw :)

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I remember when I was a wee lad, one of the first films I ever saw was Richard Donner's Superman. Though it's dated as hell with 70's cheesigoofiness, my respect for the second half of the World's Finest duo grew from there. Though I never cared much for the comics, I knew that, well, Superman is the ****. If WB only makes Superman and Batman movies, rebooting the franchises every once in awhile, I really won't care if they don't make anything else or even what seems to be a mandatory Justice League movie that in all likelihood will turn out to be utter rubbish.

So yeah, Bats + Supes + Vertigo > Marvel.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I know, I understand and love the concept of Superman. Sadly, 99% the people who've ever worked for the Superman books apparently don't or think it's not a good one and try to make him go on a walk through America and other BS. It's a strong concept with unlimited potential but it's almost never realized, so it's not surprising everyone finds him boring.

And well, I don't count DC's Vertigo for the same reason I don't count Marvel's Epic Comics (which, by the way, had Dreadstar, Akira, Xenozoic Tales, Marshal Law, ElfQuest, The Incal, Sam & Max, Groo the Wanderer, Wild Cards... more than enough talent and quality to make Vertigo go home crying and listen to some Bauhaus): I understand this is between the Marvel Universe and the DC Universe, not the companies behind them.

Souderwan likes this.
  5. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I hear ya on the 99% (though I think that figure might be a wee bit inflated ;-)

The problem is the writers are often afraid to take risks with Superman, because he's such a cultural icon. I'm sure DC's put the kibosh on plenty of badass, cutting-edge Superman stories for fear of rocking the boat. So you get a lot of rehashing old plots, treading water, and changes that are retconned within months.

But, in the wealth of material, I maintain that there are plenty of great and compelling stories about Kal-EL.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've been really impressed with what Geoff Johns did on Earth One and Secret Origin. I need to get Superman/Brainiac next.

Drawing Supes like Chris Reeve FTW.

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I agree with much of what JTS is saying about Superman. He could be interesting. He should be interesting. But in the comics, he often isn't. In point of fact, he's most interesting when they do something out of the normal timeline--the kind of what if storylines like Red Son (probably one of my favorites). And I especially love when he is juxtaposed with Batman and in no storyline is that petter portrayed than in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns (probably my favorite comic book of all time). Alas, most of the time, Supes is just "really strong guy" and that just gets old after a while. I think that's why I liked Superman: TAS because they powered him down a lot.

All that said, DC conversations always hover around Superman and Batman. Occasionally we'll draw in other characters from Gotham like Nightwing and Batman's villains. I happen to like John Stewart as Green Lantern because he's a black superhero who isn't defined by his skin color (Marvel is pretty terrible about this--especially in the 70's and 80's). Once you get through about 10 or so characters, you're left with...

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, it's totally not like we're seeing the base of space exploration already.

Oh, wait.

(It's not that I have a problem with comic superheroes; i just think the rabid pro-one group anti-other group is dumb considering tehy tend fo share the same strengths and weaknesses in terms of storytelling.

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I find it unendingly amusing when one set of nerds bashes another set of nerds because the second set of nerd's particular brand of nerdiness is just "ridiculous!" or dumb or whatever. Fanficcers vs costumers is always a funny one. But "I'M A REAL SCIENTIST" vs "YOU READ COMIC BOOKS! HAHAHA!" is right up there.

You clearly have nothing but condescension to add to the conversation, Vivec, so why participate? Does it give you a thrill when people walk by and snicker about your physics diatribes? We all have our passions. We don’t begrudge you yours, no reason to begrudge us ours.

Also, there is nothing rabid in this thread. Most of our disdain for the "other" side is all in good fun. I suspect that every comic book reader has happily read both DC and Marvel comics no matter what camp they're from.

11. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Amatsu Mikaboshi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    ~begins to foam at the mouth~

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Timely and National Allied Publications were both so much better.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002

I know I've posted this in the past before but, here we go again...
    [​IMG]

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Marvel. DC has diamonds in the rough. 80's Batman stuff was gold as was Wonder Woman via Perez, Hellblazer, etc. Marvel is just consistantly better in the comics.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Batwoman, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Jonah Hex, The Demon, OMAC, The New Gods (Which is like a dozen but I'll count it as one), Hitman, The Spectre, Robot Man...

The list could go on. Also Aquaman has had two or three (Depending on how you feel about Geoff Johns' tenure on the book) really awesome runs on his title. :p

That said, I don't put a whole lot of stock in the intrinsic "worth" of a character because any character owned by any company is basically one really good run away from being awesome. Hell, look at Prophet, which in its original form was the Liefeldiest Liefeld book to ever Liefeld. Now it's a sweeping episodic sci fi saga full of (intentionally) outre imagery.

MrZAP likes this.
  16. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    When you take all the Kirby out of Marvel they've got nuthin'!

17. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, nuthin' but Wolverine and Spider-Man! Who the hell has ever heard of those guys?

Souderwan likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No love for Dr. Strange?

MrZAP, Spider-Fan and Souderwan like this.
  20. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I'm sure it wouldn't surprise you that I find most of the characters on your list either wanting or unrecognizable (I'm a terrible nerd. :p ), so your challenge to my statement kinda falls flat. That said, I completely agree with this sentiment. Even Batman--arguably DC's best character--went through some seriously bad runs.

Wolverine has always been awesome, though.

21. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I love the Ditko art for Dr. Strange

22. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Wolverine suffers from over-saturation presently.

23. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I have fallen out of the comics scene over the last few years (should fix that at some point--it's been like a half decade!), so I can't dispute that.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I just rattled off a bunch of characters with one or more series I really enjoyed. I could do the same for Marvel, honestly, I just love comics.

That said, I do not really share your love of Sniktbub.

25. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    No character is immune to poor writing and every franchise has it's lows. But on the flipside, as it's been pointed out, any character no matter how ridiculous has the potential to be amazing in the right hands.

I think what's important here is we all remember how awesome Spider-Man is and the rest of you can suck it.