main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census DC vs. Marvel

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Which is better: DC or Marvel?

1. DC

32 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Marvel

60 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. I can't pick

23 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah guys Val Kilmer was clearly the best Batman.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, part of the issue there is that watching Clark isn't tremendously interesting in other media, but yeah, basically starting in the 1970s they began making Clark more and more interesting, until eventually in John Byrne's new origin this happened:
    [​IMG]

And, well, I think that says it all. In fairness, there are still writers who try to emphasize the Superman first angle, but those tend to be weaker stories.

3. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I've heard that the current Superman comics are really terrible? Like all he does is walk around and tell people to behave?

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  4. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I would say I like DC better than Marvel, because I like DC characters more... However, Geoff Johns, as Chief Creative Officer of all DC comics, has run the company into the ground. When a big company like DC, with big characters like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, gives emergency powers to a fanboy like Geoff Johns, it spells trouble. It's no wonder DC doesn't own their own characters. Their business plan stinks, and they have very few talented writers. The writers who are talented don't stick around very long. I'm just glad Johns is off of Green Lantern, so that someone (VanJensen) can breathe life into John Stewart again. I feel horrible for all Justice League characters. Johns is currently in the middle of turning them all into a bickering pack of hens, without a prestigious bone in their bodies. (Reference Just League #11, where Wonder Woman beats the snot out of the other members out in public, simply because they want to help her save her friend) I will say that he's doing some interesting stuff with Shazam, but for the most part, the artists Geoff Johns works with make him look good. The fact that he has the license to use any character, and as many characters as he wants, in his stories keeps his fans coming back for more.

Mr44 likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Ur wrong :p

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Funny you should mention Grounded; that is precisely what I was thinking of for that last sentence.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh yeah you're right!

I forgot George Clooney.

MrZAP likes this.
  8. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Some might consider the current Superman unnatural a disaster. They've had some writer issues with one of the Superman titles...
    Everyone knows there are several Superman comics coming out simultaneously. And they're written by different people. This has
    caused his reboot to become something of a confused mess.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/06/george-perez-couldnt-wait-to-get-off-superman/

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

No, it wasn't a misreading. That was Superman until 1986 and "The Man Of Steel" mini-series rebooted things. "Superman II" also says the same thing.

LOIS: "It must be tough, having to be Clark Kent."

SUPERMAN: "Oh no. I really like it sometimes. And if it weren't for him, I wouldn't have met you."

LOIS: "But he is you. It's kinda confusing."

Clark Kent was a fiction that Kal-El invented in order to blend in with humanity and to try and be like us. He had memories of his life on Krypton and knew about his heritage growing up. At least the Silver Age version. Anyway, that's how it was. It was John Byrne who came up with the notion of Superman not knowing of his life on Krypton and as a result, he grows up thinking of himself as Clark Kent first and foremost. Since then, DC has retained the concept and it has bleed over into the other media.
    Not quite. That was a story arc called "Grounded" in which in the aftermath of "War Of The Supermen" and the death of New Krypton, Superman is blasted by a woman who blames him for not being their to save her husband, while he had been off Earth. Superman then decides to walk from Metropolis to the west coast, in order to try and reconnect to humanity. At times he did use the full range of powers, but mostly was just passing through town. However as time went on, Clark began behaving erratically and it was revealed that he was being affected by a piece of New Kryptonite that affected his personality. Eventually, he was able to recover from it and completed his journey, before being brought into a confrontation with Lex Luthor and later, with the Doomslayer.
    Currently with the reboot, the story is much different.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Although, admittedly, that's something of an understatement. I also think you're underselling just how wretched the JMS issues of Grounded were, but that's more of an opinion thing. :p

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm one of those who prefer the "Clark's the actual person, Superman's the alias" template. It makes him seem more like a fleshed out person rather than some untouchable God - like being. Thinking of himself as Clark first and foremost makes him the seemingly perfect being to have the powers that he does because he himself doesn't think of himself as above everybody else. He thinks of himself as being like everybody else, even if the rest of the population doesn't see Superman that way. It also provides a nice contrast with some of the Batman lore of recent times where it seems that Bruce thinks of himself as "Batman first, Bruce Wayne Second."

MistrX and TrandoJedi like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You have a very productive backside, to have extracted all that information from it.

However, I have to ask - do you hate paragraphs? It wouldn't hurt to throw a few there.

Scott Snyder is an enormously talented writer, too.

13. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Haha. Extracted all what info from what exactly?
    If you didn't read what I said because of the paragraphs. I can understand that.
    If you did read it, and didn't understand it, then that's a funny comment to sling at me.

Everyone's got an opinion. And there are gonna be plenty of people who say things you don't like.
    I'll probably say a lot of things you don't like. But I assure you. My backside will never enter into it.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I didn't say "Grounded" was the best, though Chris Roberson did salvage things.

True and I like it that way for Superman as well, though argue with a Pre-Crisis fanboy and look out. The public persona for Clark Kent can be a fiction, which is fine. There should be a balance at least.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

TrandoJedi likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  17. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    lol. I love Deadpool. Marvel all the way!

18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    DC for Batman's universe alone

19. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm mostly a DC man. I mean I like both, but at the same time no Marvel Title has really ever blown me away. Granted I read pretty much only Batman stories, and for the most part he has the best. Clairemonts X-Men is probably the most impressed I've been with Marvel work.

I like DC's universe more. I like the hero's being God like, mainly because it allows for the hard questions for what they do to come up. I mean would Batman trying to conquer the world be that out of character for him? He was almost that way in KINGDOM COME. Which is another thing, DC has the comics that pretty much changed the industry, DKR, Year ONe, Watchment. Marvel doesn't really have a defining story, it has defining runs, but so does DC.

In saying that, even though the Nu52 has had some great things, I personally think it's been mostly a disaster. Destroying that pre-52 mythology was probably one of the worst decisions ever.

Alan Moore was right, the continuious reboots have caused the DC hero's the become bland. I urge some of you to look up his pitched 80's event called "TWILIGHT OF THE SUPERHEROS." On paper it reads good, but with his execution it probably would have been the big event that do this day would never have been beaten.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just read that New 52 Superman is at the ridiculous past Superman levels, able to life the Earth in weight for 5 days straight. Lame.

21. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007

Yeah I haven't read it in a while with this "Doomed" crossover thing happening. When Lobdell was on Superman it was damn terrible, I have no idea why he continues to get work. Greg Pak on the other hand...his Action Comics run (outside of the crossover) is currently pretty amazing, he really goes to the heart of the character, I could not recommend that enough.

As for which I like better...for movies I like DC. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the Marvel movies but ever since Iron Man 2 they've been production line movies, at least to me. The first Iron Man was superb, it's right up there with The Dark Knight for me. It had the perfect amount of seriousness and humour. Now it seems they just go for shock moments and laughter which is very disappointing but I enjoy them for what they are.

The comics I'm a DC guy as well but I do read Marvel occasionally. I like Ultimate Spider-Man and the new Thor: God of Thunder (fantastic read, definitely recommend it!). I like DC's world more than Marvel but that being said I don't buy a lot of DC Comics. I buy Batman, Batman Beyond, Action Comics and Batman/Superman. I used to get Justice League but ever since Forever Evil had Lex Luthor leading the Justice League...no thanks. I've tried and dropped so many titles since the beginning of the NEW 52. If I hear a particular run is good I get it in trade.

22. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    DC. What can I say? The cartoons made the biggest impression on me.

23. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    The problem with DC movies is a) WB is not nearly as organized as Marvel and is pretty much copying what Marvel is trying to do and b) Superman is an outdated superhero and it's difficult to write a good movie with him in it. Seriously, the last really good superman movie was maybe, Superman II. DC movies will always make money, but I don't think they will ever be as popular as Marvel from here on out.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I've been a Marvel fan since I was little, introduced to X-Men and Spider-Man comics at a early age. I do consider myself a Marvel fanboy but love DC as well, superheroes and comic books really. My problem with DC is I don't care for their recent "direction" with TDK, TDKR, MOS, and The New 52. Marvel Comics are up and down for sure for the past few years, but Marvel Studios is just on a unstoppable roll IMO, I haven't disliked a single film in the MCU yet(there are quibbles here and there, but there is with everything right?).

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

This is likely the worst post I've seen on these boards in 11 years.