main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before the Saga [DDC 2017] Mirror of the Knowing Soul--OC's--Deleted

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by leiamoody, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, this would be another POV of the proposed chapter five of this?

Definitely on board. And glad to see how all these things connect, that Meaithe becomes the Jedi archivist and chronicles the encounters Chevor and his Master had with this entity. Wondering if we will see Zia at some point, too. :)

And the Dante-ish vibe is all there, plus I recognise all the instances of this character where she previously appeared.

The idea with a limited number of incarnations is frightening and wonderful at the same time. The Living World being imprisonment is a...very different way to look at it. Curious about what all facets of physical life are.

Kahara and leiamoody like this.
  3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    So cool. I love the framing here, the diary within the archive. Your writing is so lyrical and beautiful. It's like a gorgeous, detailed stained glass window or a beautifully luminous Renaissance painting.

The idea of a nearly immortal soul keeping a diary is intriguing and I am looking forward to finding out what Nellith has to say.

Kahara, leiamoody and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
  5. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    This looks really interesting! :) I've always liked the hints in your other works about the existence of a complex Force afterlife and of beings who cycle through that life. (And hey, I notice that one of Nellith's names was Sibylla -- that sounds familiar! :D ) Liked the way that the opening notes frame the diary as a document being curated by the new Jedi, and the way that it puts it into context.

Findswoman , leiamoody and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    More from the Moodyverse—hooray! =D=

I like the concept of this already from this short entry. Reincarnation is of course a recurring theme in stories within your universe, but what's especially compelling here is that this particular story is going to address the issue of the very last reincarnation—we now know that there are a limited number of them, that the cycle eventually comes to the end, and that reincarnation doesn't mean "lives forever" in whichever way(s) we Earthers often tend to think of it.

It turns out that this short entry answers a few questions that were in my mind about the phenomenon of reincarnation: yes, it looks like one can take on the form of the opposite sex, or even of something not usually considered sentient, like a tree (and I bet that was therapeutic). Also interesting is that yes, the adept does learn and gain wisdom from the previous incarnations, but the process isn't totally cumulative, and memories don't just continue to constantly build up the way they do with, say, the Trill symbionts of Star Trek lore. The memory will come later, as part of the final joining with the Shining World—and the idea that perfect memory is part of ultimate enlightenment is a super cool one. :cool:

And of course I smiled upon recognizing several other names in the preamble paragraphs: Chevor, Aduman, and of course Meaithe. I have a feeling that what we have seen of those three in previous stories featuring them is going to end up being only the tips of three very big, very deep-penetrating icebergs. [face_thinking]

Glad to see more of this universe, and looking forward to the next installment! @};-

Ewok Poet, Kahara and leiamoody like this.
  7. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Deleted.

Findswoman and divapilot like this.
  8. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    nm

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    The Cosmic Rose! @};- [face_love] It's wonderful to see that beautiful motif not just continued here but also expanded upon in such exquisite detail—it's kind of like the mystical rose at the center of heaven in Dante's Paradiso (and of course I'm curious to know if that was part of the inspiration—apologies if I've asked you that already). Though different too, because it's not just a final destination—it's also (in the starlike center of the rose) the source of all new souls. And the way
    a rose's petals fold into each other is the perfect way of expressing the interconnectedness of the various planes of existence.

I have to say, I appreciate very much that your afterlife is available to all beings, and not just to Force sensitives (and indeed we saw in the prequels that even only certain Force-sensitives got to the point where they could become blue ghosts). Also, I like that this universe has something akin to the bodhisattvas of Buddhism: people who achieve enlightenment and are worthy of nirvana (or the Oneness, in this case) but opt instead either to help out with the work of the Universal Archives (and with all those trillions of memories, I bet that's by no means trivial work) or to go back to the physical world to teach others about the afterlife and help them achieve enlightenment.

Of course, Nellith's own personal remarks on her opinion of the Oneness throw an interesting wrench into things—but in a good way! Her words of caution about the total loss of identity attendant upon joining the Oneness are well taken, and I don't blame her for not being eager to achieve that particular brand of enlightenment. There's a lot to ponder there, almost paradoxically so, as Nellith observes. I'll keep pondering myself, as well as thanking the Eternal Light that I have such good guides in you and Nellith! :)

Kahara likes this.
  10. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.