main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

Saga - PT [DDC 2018] Shaman, Traveler, Oracle: Journal of an Exile of Lasan (OC; pre-Rebels, Lasan Series)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Findswoman, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Shaman, Traveler, Oracle
    Journal of an Exile of Lasan

by
    Findswoman

Era:
    Saga—PT, at the time of the Siege of Lasan and afterward. (The “18 to 1 BBY” tag above is the best I can do in terms of dating, as there is, oddly, no established date for the Siege of Lasan!) If it happens that the action extends into the Saga—OT timeframe, I’ll update the era prefix accordingly.

Characters:
    Shulma Trilasha Orrelios (OC, Lasat female); other OCs (who will be identified as such in the notes); occasional EC appearances and mentions, especially Garazeb “Zeb” Orrelios and Chava the Wise

Genre:
    Diary (DDC 2018), drama, introspection, adventure

Summary:
    A chronicle of the exile, travels, trials, and adventures of a young Lasat shaman following the Imperial invasion of her homeworld and the near-genocide of her people.

Author’s Notes:
    This is a “half-marathon” diary project written for the 2018 Dear Diary Challenge (DDC). Shulma is one of the central OCs of the Lasan Series; for other stories about her, see the link. By the time this diary begins, she and Zeb have been married a few years. He is captain of the Lasan High Honor Guard, and she is a first-degree shaman of the Royal Lasat Academy of Shamans under the mentorship of Chava the Wise.

Like the other stories in the Lasan Series, this diary incorporates the Lasat fanon lore devised by @Raissa Baiard and myself and detailed in our Lasat fanon post. In particular, most of the details concerning Lasat shamanism are fanon. In general, whatever Lasat lore you can’t find on the Wook can probably be found in our post. Many entries will include explanatory notes.

I thank Raissa for beta reading and for her invaluable feedback and support throughout the writing of this. And I thank all my readers, whoever you may be! @};-

Length:
    There will probably be between twelve and fifteen entries in all, of varying lengths. If all goes well, I hope to update this roughly every other Sunday. (That means some months will feature two updates, some three.)

Contents: 1 (below) | (more to come)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 7:56 PM
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2014

The sunrise over the cliffs was most magnificent this morning. It was as though all of Lasan’s colors passed before me within the space of half an hour: deep violet to crimson red to ruddy gold, with a tinge of lush green. The guard towers, the cliffs, the spires, the treetops were washed in light as in dew; I could feel its luminous coolness on my face and my footpads as I walked along the trail to Mount Straga. And the view of the transfigured landscape from the funicular car—truly with each dawn Lasan is born anew and births us all anew.

I try to remind myself of this each time I awaken with one of the headaches or cramps: it is merely the same process taking place within, the Ashla working inside me. But they are becoming more frequent of late, and more of them have been bringing me visions. Wise Chava has advised that I continue to keep track of them in this journal, and I try to do so, though I do not always remember them once they have happened. Many are just shadow-images: I am walking through some ruined town, or some barren landscape, that moments later disintegrates into reality; it never lasts long enough for me to be able to tell if they are places I know or not. This morning it was a mountain with its top strangely scorched and blunted; I do not know which mountain, or where. It disappeared, and only searing pain remained.

It is all particularly worrying in light of what G. has said about the mounting tensions with the Empire. It has grown so serious that he has put the Honor Guard on high alert. There are threats of invasion, or worse...

Dearest G.—as if his military duties didn’t already weigh heavily enough upon him, he has managed to be quite the mother avian about these headaches of mine. He insisted that I not go in to the Academy today, that I stay home and rest and finish the pot of blumfruit-queen’s heart tea he made for me. He relented somewhat when I reassured him that transcribing ancient manuscripts and teaching chant to the initiates is not likely to stir up my currents beyond normal parameters; if anything, my Academy work has brought me calm during these tense times. Still, G. has been comming at regular intervals throughout the day to check on me. (I suspect he is concerned about another eventuality, too—though there seems to be little chance of that, given what Yhazi said last season about my predisposition to vision shock.)

But my Zeblove should not fret so much over his wife’s silly ailments, not when the safety of all Lasan is at stake. May the four protecting cloaks of the Ashla be over him and his comrades!

In the meantime I am once again in the funicular car, traveling down Mount Straga as the shadows lengthen over the cliffs. It has been a calm and productive day. I am almost finished with Osthi’s early journals, and the initiates are doing beautifully with the daily rites; in not too long they will be ready to learn the ancient modes. Tomorrow, if all goes well O ASHLA O SOVEREIGN SPIRIT WHAT HAS HAPPENED WHAT IS HAPPENING

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2004
    SHULMA DEAR SWEET SHULMA! [face_dancing] Oh I will be devouring this one for sure, for sure! And Zeb :) [face_sigh] He is such a nurturing darling, isn't he? :)

=D=
    [:D]
    !!!!!

Kahara, Findswoman and Raissa Baiard like this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Force Ghost star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    =D= Hurray! So glad to see this diary coming to life! Of course I’ve loved Shulma from the start and it’s fabulous to this look into her thoughts. She’s a bit older here—a full shaman and a wife (squee! :zeb:), instead of the young initiate we’ve seen her as before, it she’s still the same sweet young woman with the same dedication and joy in serving the Ashla and the same tender love for her dear Zeb!

Your opening description of the sunrise is so beautiful and lyrical[face_love] and so very Shulma, both in the way she enjoys the beauty around her and the way she connects it back to the glory of the Ashla creating life anew each morning, and even ties this process to another, less picturesque “birth”, her headaches that give rise to strange and sometimes disturbing visions, And then comes our first hint of trouble—the visions are doubly concerning because of the situation with the Empire and threats of invasion!

But dear, sweet Zeb...in the midst of all his worries still has time to fuss over his beloved wife (squee again!). Of course he does! He’s above of all a man of honor, and though Shulma is no doubt capable of taking care of herself, I’m sure that Zeb sees it as his duty (and privilege!) to protect and care for her nonetheless. I can completely see Zeb as mother avian making tea! (and I love that it is “queen’s heart” tea; Shulma truly has the heart of a queen!) But of course Shulma isn’t one stay idle, and I can see that her work would give her both something to take her mind off the political situation and give her some spiritual comfort as well. It’s nice that we get a little peek into her daily activities here...and I see she still has an interest in the prophetess, Osthi.

And then CLIFFHANGER! :eek: Wow, you’cove gotten us off to a momentous start here! I can’t wait to see how this plays out and I look forward to further entries!

Keep the purple prose coming! =D=

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Shulma!! [face_love][face_love]

First off, I have to say that I love the voice you gave your heroine. She's grown so much from what I've read of the Lasan Series. She's so . . . earthy and spiritual at the same time. I honestly felt like I was reading an Emily Dickenson poem with your prose - with the colors of the sunrise, and the presence of Ashla being reflected in the rebirth of the land and even in the cycles of her own body, for the good and bad. I love how much ambiance and scenery you were able to build, even with the sometimes limiting first person POV of the diary - your doing so was a deft turn of the pen, and rewarding for your readers! [face_love]

As for plot particulars, I love that her Zeblove ([face_love]!) being such a mother avain. Of course he is concerned about her physical and mental ailments, and he's trying his best to alleviate both. But he understands that there's fulfillment in her work, and he appreciates that her staying busy helps take her mind off of her maladies. He's striking a beautiful balance that is sometimes hard to find in a mate! :p It seems that Shulma has similar concerns for Zeb, though, with the tension with the Empire and the threat of invasion building as it is. But one of the things she loves most about him is his honor and his sense of duty - which is definitely a trait they seem to share. I look forward to seeing how she's going to get through the dark days that are to come. Especially with the cliffhanger that you left us all at for two weeks. [face_worried]:eek: [face_waiting]

But this really is off to an excellent start, and I can't wait to see where you go from here! =D=

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Padawan

Jun 20, 2018
    Love this so far :) Zeb and his people very quickly became one of my mew favorite Star Wars species during Rebels. Always excited to read more about them, fanfic or canon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk