main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dead Ancestor Collectors

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Jedi Girl of Corellia, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I figured since we're such a global community it would definetly be interesting to see who else is involved in Genealogy. Personally I'm obsessed with it. I'll stay up for hours neglecting my RSA duties just to figure out when my second cousin four times removed was born.

So who else is an aspiring Genealogist? How far back have you been able to trace?

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I always wanted to do a family tree, because it can be really interesting, but somehow I never did it and I don't even know why. I think there was a reason, but I forgot about it. :(

I know that my mother has a "little" family tree somewhere, but I don't know how many ancestors are on it.

3. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    It's a lot of fun! I suggest that you do it :) I've found out so many cool things about my relatives, good and bad, and it makes great stories to tell when the family is gathered.

4. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I have done a little digging in my family's past and found that I am related to Frank and Jesse James.(mother's side of the family) Other than that, I haven't found anything that anyone else might find interesting.

5. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    I've tried, but as all the family on my grand father's side has disappeared during the Russian civil war, it's a dead end on this side :( and it was the side I was the most curious about...

But being related to Jesse James, that's pretty cool :D

6. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I always wanted to do it but wouldn't even know where to start.
    I would love to find out about the German side of my family.

7. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    My father's side to the American Revolution.

My mother's side - 385 A.D.Viking.

8. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    I'm supposedly from "the wrong side of the bed" a descendent of Napoleon..

How dare they say that he was unfaithful.... :eek:

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Maybe I will do it, JGoC. Thanks for your encouragement. :)
    Do you have any suggestions or tricks who to ask or where to look if you get at that point you can't ask any living person or a war makes it difficult?

10. LadyZaraMarta

Aug 21, 2004
    Courthouses, seats of government. Internet is a great source. Family bibles.

11. Baby_Death_Star

Baby_Death_Star Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    385 A.D., LadyZM?????

:eek:

Surely you must be joking??

Or ... not??

And I thought I had a large family-tree (going back 11 generations, to "Wolf Pauriedl", who married 1680 (date of birth & death unknown)).

A problem for all Central-Europeans: In the years of the "30 Year long War" (1618-1648) almost all monasteries and courthouses were burned down/destroyed, where the records were stored unless you've been from a noble family. So there's a "big black hole" for most of the documents before 1648. At least in the hinterland, city-based monasteries/courthouses were less devastated.

12. LadyZaraMarta

Aug 21, 2004
    No, not joking, BDS.....

Want to hear something really, really funny!

I am the 24th or is it 25th great grandaughter of William the Conquer...you know the guy who took England in 1066. The line to 365 goes back through him.

Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine the original dysfunctional family....my greats....grandparents...all on my mother's side.

I think its hilarious. All that DNA.....

Continuing on my mother's side

Charles Carrol who was the only Roman Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and at that time was suppose to be the richest man in the colonies.

If you saw the movie 'National Treasure' Carrol was a character.

My family owned half of what is now Washington D.C.

It goes on...blah blah blah.

My father's side of the family came to Kentucky after receiving a land grant in Virginia.
    Virginia owned Kentucky. After the Revolution they could not pay their veterans with money so they paid them with land in Ky.

My grandad on my father's side. (great great etc) owned a ferry service than ran from Kentucky to Indiana. He helped a family move from Ky to Ind. Family named of Lincoln....

I think the whole thing is hilarious...

EDIT 1: True, I'm sure WWI & WWII destroyed many documents.

The person who inspired me was Alex Haley, the author of 'Roots.' Had the honor of meeting the man. He was able to trace his 'roots' back to Africa and the very slave ship that brought his ancestor, Kunta Kinte to America.

If no one has read the book, I urge you to do so.

13. Baby_Death_Star

Baby_Death_Star Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    WOW!!!!

You've met Alex Haley?? I loved his book! I was fascinated by his struggle to find his own "roots", as impossible as it may have seem at first.

Boy, what an astonishing ancestry you have! A great family to marry in, I guess, "pulling a Schwarzenegger". ;) And here in "old Europe" many superficial people even think there is no "real family history" in the USA.

You don't happen to have a sister?? :D :D

14. LadyZaraMarta

Aug 21, 2004
    Nefertiti is my sister!

I've always wondered how much of that DNA is still in me...

Frightening thought.

15. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I have always wanted to research it but never knew where to start. Its I dont know too much about my family history at all. I know I am part irish and um... heinz 57 ;)

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    And you're in Germany right?

Here might be a good place to start.

Census records are great places to start. And if your relatives are no longer with us, you can try ordering Death Certificates or Birth Records. Those usually let you know the names of their parents and the place and dates. (but only if those records still exist)

You should also check out the LDS site.

LadyZM, that is amazing you're able to trace that far back! :eek: Of course with royalty they've always kept good track of their records.

As it goes for famous people, Edvard Grieg is my g-g-great uncle. That whole side of the family has a ton of music talent. Me, I'm tone deaf :p

It's also funny looking back at the ancestors that came to the US. They all fought for the British and moved to Canada. Then they came back here.

On my moms side we have Welsh relatives that were some of the first Mormons in Utah. They WALKED all the way from New York!!

At the moment I'm just waiting for military records from Scotland, England and Canada before I can really move a head in those areas. My Hungarian/Austrian and German roots would actully require me to go out and dig through parish records. (and I don't have any objections to that! ;) )

Ah, and I have access to most of the US, UK, Canadian, Welsh and Scottish censuses, so if anyone wants any look ups I'd be more than happy to assist.

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks JGoC! :D
    I'll remember the links and the hints you and Marta gave me. :)

18. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    what does one do when they dont know their roots at all?

19. LadyZaraMarta

Aug 21, 2004
    There's always evidence, Strawbary.

Its just knowing where to look. Don't give up.

20. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    what if that information is inaccessible LOL ;)

what if what if what if LOL

Yes I sound like a little kid now :p

21. LadyZaraMarta

Aug 21, 2004
    I think I know what you are saying strawbary.

There are records that should be opened after a person reaches a certain age.

I don't know what the laws are in Canada.

Original birth certificates.
    Again, not being Canadian , I do not know the specific laws.

22. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Start out with your parents and grandparents. Find out at least their names and their date of death (if they've died) Usually you can go from there.

If you want some help, pm me and I'll se what I can find for you :)

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    On my father side I know the lines back until the early 14th century, and it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out further, since that person was the equivalent of minister of justice in Denmark. Funny thing is he became an outlaw, fled to Norway, his son became an outlaw and fled to Sweden, and that's where my family history starts. I have a friend who's very interested in genealogy, and he's from the same family even if our branches split in the 15th century. Anyway he says that it's possible to trace the family history back to Charlemagne, and the Carolingian family claimed to be descendants of the Asir gods. So in that case I'm related to Wotan. I have more gods in the family since one member of the family, but a different branch, is Emanuel Swedenborg who founded the New Church. He's seen as a Messiah by some in that church, the father of the Messiah should be God, and I'm more closely related to his father than himself.

Other people in the family: Georg Stiernhelm named the father of Swedish litterature

On my mother's side I know that my grandfather's family came from Belgium to Sweden in the 17th century, and I have the full lineage clear from about the middle of the 19th century. There is also a Swedish nursery rhyme about the person who was the first to take on that family name.

On my maternal grandmother's side I know generally where they were from and what they were doing. My mother has always said that her grandfather said that he started searching for the family lines but stopped when he came to the pirates. I'm not sure how much of a joke that was.

In general I can say that my father's family is from the mining region of Sweden and were influential in the middle ages. They come from social class that was somewhere inbetween nobility and rich farmer/miner. On my mother's side it's more craftmen of different sorts, mostly glass and ironwork.

Personally I think it's fun knowing about the family but I haven't done any research myself. What I know is the things that have been passed on from the older generations of the family, and this friend who's almost obsessed with genealogy and thinks it's fun just researching other people's families as well as his own.

24. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Some fantastic information in this thread. Especially from ObiAnne - fascinating!

Personally, my Dad has done a very extensive geneology, and still works on it. Not quite 385 CE, but down to the Second Fleet of convicts ever to come to Australia.

25. LadyZaraMarta

Aug 21, 2004
    Interesting what makes us who we are!

My question is this:

Just how much of that DNA is still floating around inside us?

Are we truly unique individuals with our own personalities or is there a little something of our ancestors still inside us, influencing our decisions, our physical selves?

I've located an 18th Century portrait of my great...etc. grandmother. My mother in her 20's looks EXACTLY like our ancestor. Uncanny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.