main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V.C, CA Dead Board

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by YoungJedi11, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, you'd have a hard time with us if you had an Applebee's phobia. ;)

2. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    Ok, all you cell-phone-owning technology-savvy folks: this here Luddite wants to buy a cell phone. Recommendations would be welcome: what provider should I go with? What plan? What model of phone would be good? How does one influence the other?

Requirements: When in California, I need to be able to call Pennsylvania cheaply, and vice versa: when in PA, I need to be able to call CA cheaply. I think I would use it about 450 to 500 minutes a month, but then again, what do I know. I also would like to be able to call Europe with the phone, but this is optional. I think I would prefer some sort of flip-open phone, or at least something long enough to have some hope of reaching from my mouth to my ear; I've always thought it looks silly to hold a credit-card-sized device to your ear and yell out your conversation into empty air, hoping the microphone will pick it up. I also need a headphone or other hands-free option; talking in the car is already distraction enough, without having to actually hold a phone. The phone also needs to have easy-to-use, clearly-marked buttons that can be used in the dark, if needed. This precludes those phones with identical off and on buttons placed right next to each other.

Non-requirements: Pictures (I have a camera). Email (I have a computer). Text messaging (see email). Web surfing (why the hell would I want to look at websites on a cell-phone-sized screen? Also, see email). Any other newfangled thing they decide to squeeze into the way-too-small confines of a cell phone.

(Hmm. Maybe this should be in its own thread. But I don't want to be accused of spammage.)

3. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    LOL...you, spam?

:~)

Yeah, you could definitely start a whole thread on this, no problem.

But, since it's here, here's what I'd do:
    You're a strong person...go through the mall one long afternoon, list in hand of exactly what you want. Period. Talk to the salespeople, but don't commit to anything until you've talked to everyone. Tell them, repeat often if necessary, exactly what you need. If some of those "extras" come free with a basic plan that fits your needs, great. Otherwise, remind them, "no, that's NOT something I need." Tell them what you use the phone for, and what you'd expect out of it. *Don't* let them get sidetracked on just any one of the things you need for it to do. Steer them back...remember, some of them are young and overeager to sell, so you might need to redirect them, often.

The Europe part of it will be the most difficult, is my guess.

I can' really comment on a nationwide plan, as our calling plan allows us to *call* almost anywhere in the country, but only *from* the West Coast.

Best wishes!

4. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
  5. Keiran_Horn

Keiran_Horn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    I have a new AIM name.

Read my profile, and add it to your buddy lists. :)

6. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    I'm very bored. *random*

7. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    So Larena, I heard it's illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon. Is that true?

8. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Man, Oregon must suck.

9. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    It's illegal to pump your own gas in a lot of East Coast states also. It really is great though, because you end up paying prices less then our self-serve, for full service. Plus, it provides more jobs for people.

10. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Uh... sure. I dunno. I think there are places you can pump your own gas but not very often. I don't know if it is against the law, I've never tried just cuz the workers are already there. I should see what happens if I get out and try next time, hehe.

11. darkknight_152002

darkknight_152002 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    So Larena, I heard it's illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon. Is that true?

I've been to Oregon before, and it is true.

12. Sith_241

Sith_241 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Yes, its true. its also funny when you are from CA and when you first get there you forget, they get really mad when you try to pump your gas. :p

13. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    I'm Dead Board-Bored again. * Pouts*

14. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.

15. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I like peanuts.

16. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
  17. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
  18. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
  19. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Is that Hayden?

20. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    I have returned after a rather lenghty ban. I trolled someone with whom I was feeling hostile, but the Admins allowed me to return. I emailed the person an apology several months ago, so she knew it was my sock who trolled her. Yes, it was an IP Ban.

GentleBant isn't the CR anymore...

Oh, I added my pics to my bio. If you wonder what this Darkknight looks like, just take a look. What do you think of the pics? Isn't my grandmother's dog cute?

And I'm a bit nervous to go to a meeting mainly out of my anti-social tendencies and major depression which has haunted me for a few years. I'm certain you're friendly people, but I have a difficult time socializing.

21. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Don't worry, we're not really all that social. Don't feel pressured to come to a meeting either, if you want to be mainly a board prescense, then that's fine.

But, if you're every feeling particularly sociable, stop on by.

22. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    Since we're all local, if any of you see me out in public (Oxnard/Port Hueneme area), just calmly tell me your username. It'd be cool to meet another board member, even if it would merely be a chance encounter. :)

23. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    Did any of you see the new Harry Potter film? I saw it last Sunday at the Edwards Cinema in Camarillo.

24. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    I saw it twice last weekend. It kicks some major booty. :D

25. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    Yup, I've seen it twice and I'm hoping to see the IMAX version soon. Harry Potter rocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.