main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Dead Jedi disappear?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by EricG, Dec 22, 2015.

1. EricG

EricG Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Hoping for some help -- my daughter asked I question I couldn't answer.

When Obi Wan and Yoda die they vanish -- so I had told my daughter that is what happens to Jedi when they die....but, Darth Vader and qui-gon do not vanish but end up on a funeral pyre?

Any explanation for why Obi Wan and Yoda vanish?

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I think if you are one with the Light Side of the Force, you disappear on death.

The novel for The Phantom Menace had that Qui Gonn was more a sort of Grey version, where he was with the Jedi Order, but followed his own path more than theirs, which is why he had a physical corpse.

Vader was pretty obviously a dark dude, or Lord of the Sith; deep-sixing the Emperor cos he is electrocuting your son does not equate to total Light Side redemption.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They vanished because their work was done.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    To become a force ghost you most go through training Obi Wan and Yoda completed there training while Qui Gon did not.

5. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    Although it is sometimes debated, my belief/understanding is that Anakin actually did disappear after Luke left, and that it is just some pieces of the suit on the funeral pyre.

However, it is true that only Jedi who have learned a special technique for retaining their identity after becoming one with the Force (dying), can disappear. Qui-Gon was the first of the Jedi to become aware of this technique, but either he learned of it after death, or his training was incomplete (which might explain why his ghost is audio-only), so he did not disappear. However, Qui-Gon did retain his identity, and Yoda was then able to commune with him while meditating. Qui-Gon taught the technique to Yoda (it's possible Yoda also "tweaked" the process a little), and Yoda taught Obi-Wan.

Anakin observes Obi-Wan using the technique in Episode IV, and although he is puzzled at the time, apparently he is able to figure it out in time for his own death (possibly because he is the chosen one).

6. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Yoda and Obi-Wan completed their training. I thought Anakin disappeared and the only thing Luke burned was the suit.

Welcome to the boards

Any more questions, please feel free to ask