Story [Dead Zone/Robocop: The Series] To Dance [Costume Party Challenge]

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by DaenaBenjen42, Oct 28, 2011.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Title: To Dance
    Author: DaenaBenjen42
    Fandom: The Dead Zone(TV series)/Robocop: The Series
    Characters: Johnny Smith, little girl, the big metal guy, Diana Powers, Sarah and Walt Bannerman...
    Timeframe: Season Three for the Dead Zone, end of Speak Now, and for Robocop... both way pre-series, and during the teaser of Heartbreakers
    Disclaimer: Stephen King, USA Network, Piller2, Orion Entertainment... none of whom are me.
    Note: I wasn't going to do these two fandoms for the Mod's Costume Party, but this is what I got plotbunnies for, so this I did. And Mav? Thank you for the motivation. It helped.
    My Costume: I normally would not go anywhere near Stephen King (or anything inspired by him) in writing because he scares me, and I definitely would not usually put these two fandoms together by any stretch of the imagination.

~*~*~*~

He'd just gotten off the phone with Rebecca when someone pulled on his suit jacket sleeve. Frowning, he looked down to find the daughter of the bride and groom smiling up at him. "Oh. Hello."

The smile turned into a grin. "Dance with me, Mr. Smith?"

Johnny blinked in surprise. "You want to dance? With me?"

"Yes!"

He took a moment to glance around, wondering where her parents were, and spotted the bride and groom watching them while talking to other people. They were both smiling, and the girl's father nodded in acknowledgement at him. He needed no further prompting, and turned his attention back to the girl. "All right. Then we dance."

At the touch of her hand to his as he allowed her to lead him to the dance floor, he was suddenly sitting in the backseat of a car... and listening to someone tease about gambling on sports?

"What would I do with the money if I won?"

"You could give it to Murray and me."

Johnny frowned and looked out the passenger side window to find that the car next to this one was a police car... from Detroit? That didn't make any sense. Presently, his attention was recaptured by a car door, singular, closing with a clunk, and he looked at the driver to find a person in armor behind the wheel.

"They're right, Alex," a woman's voice suddenly said, only the voice didn't sound quite right, and he looked in the passenger seat to find a woman was indeed sitting there, only she was translucent and seemed to glow. Like a hologram. A very true-to-life but still obvious hologram. "Lighten up a little."

"I am on duty," came the stiff, almost computer-like reply.

She sighed. "Tell me about it. I'm never off duty!" Then she looked at the man in the armor with a smile. "You know what I miss? Dancing. I used to love to dance."

And then Johnny found himself on the dance floor again with the little girl looking up at him expectantly, and he smiled. "You lead."

A little ways away, in the arms of her husband, Sarah watched as Johnny danced, cane in hand, with the daughter of the bride and groom, and wondered what it was he'd seen when she touched him.

"He'll probably tell you if you ask," Walt murmurred to her. "Not often that he smiles after one of those, so it couldn't have been bad."

"You saw?"

"Was hard to miss and I was watching, too." And then they were lost in the dance again, Sarah occasionally catching glimpses of Johnny enjoying himself even though she knew he'd never been much for dancing. At all.

Later, when she did ask him what he saw, he simply shrugged and said that it was odd and made him appreciate dancing a little more than usual. And something about two people sharing a platonic moment in a car, but why he'd seen it, he couldn't say. It reminded her again of what he'd said before about his visions not coming with helpful footnotes.

Fini
  2. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Who would have thought that mixing Robocop and Stephen King would make something so nice. :)

Great work, Daena! =D=
  3. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    So I don't know anything about Dead Zone, Robocop, or Steven King (he also frightens me and I don't like being scared)... but I like these characters together, and Johnny especially and his thoughts. Very creative response to the challenge, being brave enough to write so many things you've never done before and a crossover to boot. Great job!
  4. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    A very interesting combination, indeed. [face_thinking]

Great job stepping outside of the box! =D=

~MJ @};-
  5. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Darn it! I never seen Robocop: The Series so I'm not understanding the references. But still, it is well written. You haven't seen Dead Zone? You should it is King's least scary movie (I didn't read the book so I don't know how scary that is).
  6. mavjade It's so FLUFFY Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I've only seen an episode or two of the Dead Zone, I had no idea Robocop even was a series and I try and stay as far away from Steven King as I can, not because he creeps me out but I just don't enjoy his books (they make great movies, though) but I really enjoyed this.

I'm sure it has more meaning when you know the series' but I found it very touching.

And Mav? Thank you for the motivation. It helped.
    Glad I could help, though I wasn't sure I did actually help or not! 8-}

Great job, Daena! Great Costume! =D=
  7. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Hazel: Thank you, Hazel!! [:D]

Luna_Nightshade: Thank you, Luna. :)

Mira_Jade: You haven't seen the box I stepped out of, have you? Thank you, Mira. :)

Jedi_Lover: No, I haven't watched it in it's entirety... mostly because Christopher Walken has creeped me out ever since Communion. (And as for least scary King movies: The Langoliers... which is also the only thing by Stephen King I've ever read.) Thank you. :)

mavjade: Well, then, I'm glad you came along for the ride, even with all of that standing in the way. [:D]

Glad I could help, though I wasn't sure I did actually help or not!

Let me put it this way: there were seven other pieces that didn't make it to typed for this, all of which were totally things I would have done under normal circumstances. It took that many to get to this one. So... thank you, Mav. :) Really.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl