main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion DEADLINE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Disney's whole business plan with Star Wars is all about splitting resources, spinoffs, TV.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. But I am a lawyer and for obvious reasons I detest the misuse of vocabulary.

3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    The reality is that Disney understands the prequels were not that well received, critically, nor has their legacy been embraced. It would be like negative advertising to some.

I think Disney wants the general public to forget the prequels and bring the original trilogy back to the forefront.

Kinda goes with my thinking that, someday, that they may remake episodes 1-3. Depends on how well the sequel trilogy is received.

KilroyMcFadden and FinleySlade like this.
  4. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I'm sorry but if Titanic 3-D, which had a huge promotion behind it, could only muster $57 million in 3-D receipts (and mind you this number also includes a number of theaters which showed it in standard cinemas), there's really not a lot of motivation to release the OT either.

This is not 1997 where you could only watch the OT on your crappy little 32" screen TV on VHS or Laser Disc, so a theatrical release could naturally make a lot of money. Now people own the OT in 1080p on Blu-Ray and can watch the film from the comfort of their home on their glorious 55" HDTV with Dolby Digital 7.1 surround. I suspect an OT re-release in 3-D MIGHT muster numbers slightly better tan Titanic. But again the shine has worn off on the 3-D fad, and while it is still doing well overseas there are definite signs it is stagnating here in the US.

Yancy

Dranem likes this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And if that's true then fine, as long as it's not hindering the ST. I care WAY more about the ST than 3D conversions or spinoffs.

DarthApprentice likes this.
  6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think its more in line with "getting back to its roots" than a reboot. I, for one, will be happy that I won't have to see Doug Chiang's design work in Star Wars anymore.

They need to go back to the Mcquarrie WW2 inspired utility stuff.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, I have a 60" plasma. Just saying. :D

Gallandro and Julius Vernon like this.
  8. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    This is how I feel. There's NOTHING like seeing a Star Wars movie in a public theater with other Star Wars fans. A re-release is the perfect way to promote and generate buzz.

I do have one hope, and it's a long shot, but: Disney is known for releasing it's cartoon classics back in theaters for a limited time! Go figure. It really doesn't cost them anything to ship out the films to theaters and do a limited release. It's just will the theaters want to take the risk of displacing NEW movies with old ones? If they re-release in "slow" movie season, I don't see a downside.

Padme501st and Julius Vernon like this.
  9. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    I personally think 3D is an unecessary rip off. I quite liked watching movies on a little TV, as long as it had a worth while story that is.

Gallandro likes this.
  10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This doesn't bother me, to be honest. I'm not into the whole 3D hype and the only reason I would go see them is to experience the films themselves in theaters, not for a gimmick. I'm not a fan of the PT and didn't see TPM 3D in theaters and I had no intentions of seeing the other two either, so no real loss for me.

Plus, I'd rather they focus on making Episode VII the best it can be rather than wasting money and effort on something like this.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if we get a re-release of the whole saga before the ST release.

12. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Ditto. And my whole reason for a full sound system is Star Wars, it just gets used by other movies. ;)

Pro Scoundrel and Vale Man like this.
  13. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Not a big surprise for me and I can understand why they're cancelled. With the release of Episode VII in 2015-2016 It would've been loads of SW in theater and perhaps too much for the public. The focus should therefore be put entirely on the new trilogy and the promotion around it. It makes sense. Plus, in a small amount of time there have been many 3D converted films in theaters and the sucess is simply no there. People got tired.

I see that Lucasfilm do not mention the OT so we should not ruled them out. But not for any time soon.

Vale Man likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This doesn't bother me in the slightest. Gives them more time to meet the 2015 deadline hopefully.

15. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Agreed. I enjoyed the TPM 3D presentation, but I generally avoid 3D like the plague.

Yancy

Vale Man likes this.
  16. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    "Disappointing sales"? Not really, considering that TPM is known by the general public as "the *****y one", I think it did rather well. If they had kept this going you would have seen consistently higher sales for AOTC and ROTS, a d no doubt there would be huge amounts of people turning out for the originals in 3D, especially if they had released them at peak hype for episode 7.

Real, missed opportunity, methinks.

Padme501st and yodasbum like this.
  17. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    That all depends on Fox now. Remember, they own the distribution rights to the PT and OT through 2020, and they own the distribution rights to ANH in perpetuity. But they would definitely be smart to at least consider it.

Yancy

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Ha ha!! This is 100% true!! Back when Lucas FINALLY decided to release Star Wars on DVD (remember those days when we couldn't even get a release date?) I actually converted a bedroom in my house to a home theater! I did a two row setup, second row elevated. Sound and a 8ft screen with projector. Even drapes on the wall. The things I do for Star Wars!!

19. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    It's kinda crazy how different the plans for the future of Star Wars were back in 2005.

I'm pretty sure all 3 of these things were announced at Celebration III in 2005. They were all supposed to be huge deals, but out of all of them, the only one that has made a big splash really was The Clone Wars.

-Animated TV series (Took 3 years, began in 2008)
    -3D Movie Releases of Episodes 1-6 (Took 7 years, but only TPM was in theaters in2012)
    -Live action TV series (Still hasn't happened after 7 1/2 years, probably never will)

While I get that it is more important to focus working on Star Wars Episode VII, it seems like it would be a great way to keep people excited about Star Wars to release all 6 of the movies in theaters again. Maybe they could just release them in theaters without the 3D conversion?

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah, indeed you are correct, sir. Excellent point.

21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I think this is a good move. Buzz for SW is more positive than it has been in ages. No point in stirring that up by risking disappointing box office and the media raking over the coals of the PT again. Wise choice by Kennedy to keep the SW powder dry until episode 7 and allow the team to concentrate on that.

Gallandro likes this.
  22. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Personally, I never got into the 3D fad. I couldn't care less about the rereleases in 3D. I'm glad they're focusing more on the ST.

Gallandro likes this.
  23. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'm not really disappointed with this news, since it allows them to spend more time on the new trilogy. The only reason I feel bad about it is that lost opportunity to see the other five movies in theaters (again for the prequels, and for the OT for the first time since I wasn't able to get to the 1997 theater re-releases), even if they were in 3D and therefor rather gimmicky.

Padme501st likes this.
  24. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm not even going to tell you what I thought you said... (I misread the P word)

Kinda seemed random and out of place.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I never cared for the 3D Star Wars myself. So it's all good.