main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion DEADLINE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I think they should rerelease the originals maybe around 2014 so they can stick the first trailer/teaser to Episode 7 at the end of Return of the Jedi.

The Bops likes this.
  2. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    why are people upset about this? I think this is great news to be honest.

DarthVengeant likes this.
  3. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    This is good news, they should focus on future projects and not try to milk old ones.

4. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Because Star Wars should be seen on the big screen and re-releases are another chance to do so? Why else would people be upset? >_<

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I would love to see the OT in Theaters. I hope I can someday

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was not too dissappointed. I didn't want to admit it to myself (since it's SW), but I really was not impressed with TPM in 3D. And I AM a fan of 3D, so that is saying something.

I would've been willing to see these other ones and give it another chance, but I'm not to sad about it. I'd rather they focus on the Sequel Trilogy anyway.

7. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Postpones episodes II and III. When were/are episodes IV, V VI 3d due? It doesn't say that they are postponed. If II and III due this year then IV in 2014, V 2015, VI 2016. I'm not holding out any hope!

For me only Avatar seemed to be made with an eye on 3D and Phantom was far too subtle.

By the way does anyone what commitments ILM have in the next two years?

Does this indicate that that they are pushing in for a 2015 release date and that hey are furiously at work now!

8. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think it's a great idea for them to focus all their resources on Episode 7. Rereleasing old movies in 3D is a lazy way of making a few extra bucks off of movie going audiences who are already paying too much. I never saw TPM in 3D and I don't plan on seeing any of the others that way either, including the OT.

DarthApprentice likes this.
  9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    If Lucasfilm can't figure out how to throw of a few 3D converted releases while working on the new movies, they're not building much confidence for their ability to expand their large screen and small screen efforts.

If this is based on the performance of TPM 3D (which was always going to be weak) then why announce the 3D schedule in October?

10. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It's possible this is actually due to the Disney deal... Fox may no longer be willing to distribute the 3d versions and negotiations broke down, or Disney didn't want to do it.

11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    That makes sense. But again, why wouldn't they have talked it out with Fox before announcing it to their shareholders and the public?

12. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    The 3D releases were always a bit of a joke. I think most people saw it as an excuse to squeak a little more cash out of the franchise.
    The PT simply wasn't good enough to garner much of a response to a re-release.

13. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    wait, they are talking about the original trilogy to or just the prequels ?

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The idea was to do all of the movies in 3D

15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    How could watching Empire Strikes Back in the theater, under any circumstance, be a joke? I don't care if there's smellovision or vibrating chairs. If the OT are in the theaters again, I wanna see them.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's hope so.

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Agreed. And so did my kids, who haven't ever seen the OT on the big screen in any format.

Darth Chiznuk and LawJedi like this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I just want to say that I understand why some people are bummed. I too am excited for re-releases, spinoffs, TV shows, etc. But, the ST should definitely be the priority over everything else. That includes any other projects of yours Mr. Abrams. Star Wars makes other movies it's prison******!

Darth Chiznuk and LawJedi like this.
  19. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    This is a shame if true.

Episode I, in my opinion, did not post-convert to 3D very well.

Episode II and III, both shot fully digitally, would have made for an easier conversion, and a better 3D experience (Battle of Geonosis, Battle of Coruscant, etc.)

I was kinda fine with the decision, until I realised that this also meant that the conversion of the Original Trilogy into 3D would be cancelled as well?!

NOOOOOOO!!!!! I think they were the films that most of the people were looking forward to see!

20. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Again, if Lucasfilm can't seem to pull off a fraction of what Marvel Studios is doing, pumping assets into multiple movie projects and a TV pilot in the same year, then they don't need to be talking up all of these spin-off projects. This isn't breeding faith. Or they need to get their act in gear before making firm announcement about their intentions and release dates.

Let's be honest, we would have been just fine on October 30th 2012 without being given a release date year for Episode 7, as well as a release schedule for the rest of the 3D conversions. They made the decision to put these in stone.

But hey, Lego Yoda Chronicles in 2013 on Cartoon Network, so it's all good. :rolleyes:

21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well they would have only made $30 mill Domestic each so it;s not really worth it anyway however I was looking forward to EP3 in 3D that would have been awesome ....It could be good news though if the focus is now on EP7 they may reach the 2015 target date afterall .

22. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Freeing up ILM. Excepting the designers ILM won't sniff Episode 7 for months and even then the SFX and 3D departments would seem to be two different things. It may still get done for Blu Ray. They won't do only four of 6.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm really upset. I was looking forward to seeing AOTC and ROTS SO MUCH! At least they're not outright cancelled.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I bet they will get released on 3D Blu-ray. There's no sense in bombarding the market with Star Wars movies now. Episode 7 is marketing itself.

It's a shame though.

25. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I was looking forward to Leia in the bikini in 3D :D

DarthBrian and Darth_Articulate like this.