Discussion DEADLINE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by rezpen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Gallandro Force Ghost

star 4
    Could not agree more. Well said sir.

Yancy
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. metr0man Jedi Padawan

star 1
    I suspect there is a br
    I suspect there's a branding issue at work here... they know that for Ep 7-9 to be truly mega blockbusters (as opposed to just successes the way the top grossing films every year are), they have to tie into that OT nostalgia and feeling. It's not just drawing in the "new" fans, it's way more reliant on drawing in OT fans who feel burned. The prequels sucking is a very common sentiment I hear in day to day life whenever star wars comes up. Yes there's a bit of a myth aspect to it and many do like it, but it's hit the culture like a meme. People say it without thinking. Ask politicians how dangerous an "accepted" impression can be. Mitt Romney lost the "which candidate cares more about people like me" question by something like 70 points (!). I could bring up an example from every single presidential campaign in the last 30 years.

In other words, they are going to try and train the fanbase to think of "Star Wars" as the original movies, and not the prequels. Having theatrical releases of the prequels in the theaters is pretty contrary to that.
    Pro Scoundrel and The Bops like this.
  3. TheManFromMortis Jedi Knight

star 3
    _ _ _ _

I expect that the reference to "rebooting the franchise" is just clumsy use of language.
    kevmp likes this.
  4. kevmp Jedi Knight

star 3
    Exactly.
  5. TheManFromMortis Jedi Knight

star 3
    _ _ _ _

I'm not a lawyer, but I agree with you wholeheartedly.
    Julius Vernon likes this.
  6. TheManFromMortis Jedi Knight

star 3
    _ _ _ _

The problem with doing something like this is - and I think I'm right here - that 20th Century Fox actually still owns ANH, whereas all the others are owned by Lucasfilm and were distributed by Fox.
  7. LawJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with the general premise that Lucasfilm needs to retrain kids minds around being interested in a different era of Star Wars, assuming 7-9 actually represent a return to OT characters. This is made a little easier with Clone Wars basically dropping off the map as a merchandising property. But methinks someone is overestimating the importance of the 40 yr olds to the Star Wars fanbase. Abrams isn't going to get the jaded back until they hear reviews telling them otherwise, and Lucas wasn't able to acquire much of that political capital during the PT by putting Chewbacca or Vader in their branding.
    Vale Man likes this.
  8. Motterman Jedi Master

star 2
    Yes, and these are clearly Sequels to the OT, not the PT.
  9. TheManFromMortis Jedi Knight

star 3
    _ _ _ _

To clarify my last post, here's the text from an article relating to who owns what etc.

"Well, it turns out that further Star Wars home video releases are tied up in a tricky bit of legal shambles, as 20th Century Fox still owns Episode IV: A New Hope. Hit the jump for more.

With the release of a new Star Wars in 2015, it’s safe to assume that there’s some money to be made in also releasing some sort of box set of the films around that time. Though Disney is now in control of the Star Wars empire, Fox will still release Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith in 3D next year. Per THR, Fox owns the distribution rights to Star Wars: A New Hope in perpetuity in all media worldwide. They also hold theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights to the other Star Wars films through May 2020, but their ownership of A New Hope is without an end date.

As such, quite a bit of legal wrangling will need to take place before we see another complete box set home video release of Star Wars. A collection of all the films cannot be released until Disney and Fox strike some sort of deal, given that the latter company wholly owns A New Hope."
    _ _ _ _

This is from: http://collider.com/fox-owns-star-wars/
  10. fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'll own up to that rabbit trail. Sorry everyone!
    I apparently live in some type of Star Wars ghetto where my minority has a disproportionally large representation.
  11. DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Flip ROTS and ESB and that's pretty much my order. TPM and AOTC are so close to each other they flip sometimes too.
    Darth Chiznuk and Gallandro like this.
  12. Boxster Jedi Knight

star 1
    I want to watch Ep3 in 3D and in the cinema! But, if they go concentrate on Ep7 and other SW projects, I am fine with that too!
  13. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "Methinks." Ugh.

That aside, you're right. My generation was immensely important to the prequels not just because we had a nostalgic attachment to the OT, but also because we were part of the core moviegoing demographic AND because we had started having children of our own by the time they came out and had a choice about taking our kids to see them.

Now, we've aged out of the core moviegoing demo, and our kids are in many cases more than old enough to make up their own minds about what to go see. We're more or less irrelevant to the Star Wars reboot.
    Gallandro likes this.
  14. kevmp Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes. And try wearing said headwear when you already have to wear headwear...3-D isn't a great experience for the ocularly challenged
    Gallandro likes this.
  15. LawJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Everyone's a critic. I am the Jar-Jar Binks of vocabulary. :p
  16. DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    "The lady doth protest too much methinks". - William ****ing Shakespeare
    LawJedi likes this.
  17. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Have you ever read a movie review by Harry Knowles at Aint it Cool News? I only have one rule for online English: Look at what Harry Knowles does and never do that.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Jan 29, 2013
    Pfluegermeister and Gallandro like this.
  18. GunganSlayer Jedi Knight

star 3
    This news doesn't bother me too much. I know some of you like to rag on the "theater experience" these days, but I do enjoy having the opportunity of seeing older films re-released theatrically (especially Star Wars). That being said, I care little for 3D. Forget the whole "it adds new depth" or "new experiences" to films, especially post conversion to old films. There's no point to it other than being a simple cash grab.

Lots of folks on the internet have been quick to bash Episode I 3D's box office haul (some outlets even incorrectly stating it only made $23 million; that was its domestic opening total). Honestly, I think its domestic $43 million haul is about as much as you could have asked for a 13 year old SW movie that "everybody hates." (It's worldwide total was around $100 million, I believe). Other major 3D conversion re-releases of older films did about the same business. With the exception of the surprisingly near $100 million domestic total for Lion King 3D, all other films fall in about the same range as Episode I: low $30 million to low $40 million. These include: Toy Story 1/2 3D, Finding Nemo 3D, Monsters, Inc 3D, Nightmare Before Christmas 3D, and Beauty and the Beast 3D. Titanic 3D did about $60 million domestic.

That being said, even those low $30-40 million hauls aren't necessarily bad. The budgets are relatively low (costs for conversions, prints, etc) and the films often have minimal advertising. In some ways, the film's release itself is just a big ad for another product: Toy Story 1/2 3D were released ahead of Toy Story 3's release. Monsters Inc 3D (still currently in some theaters) is gearing up for the Monsters Inc prequel, Finding Nemo, Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast (and even Titanic) were released more in mind with the selling of its Blu-Ray product. So: advertise another related product, earn cash off a low cost release, and provide audiences with a new opportunity to watch older films in theaters (some adults today have the chance to share a childhood viewing experience with their own children). Again, I don't like 3D technology and I do not like converting older films into 3D, but, it's not the most terrible of business plans.

But even then, I think there are those studio execs out there that are starting to realize that people are getting weary of these 3D re-releases (I am, lol). And while conversions might not be that expensive, perhaps the 3D re-release films are still not bringing in enough revenue to please the execs. Considering Disney would lose out on box office revenue on the 3D Star Was films to Fox, it makes sense for Lucasfilm to "postponed" them. I"m sure House of Mouse lawyers are working hard trying to work out a deal that would see distribution rights revert to Disney before 2020.

I think this move might also be about trying to avoid brand saturation. The new film is still several years away, but you don't want to inundate audiences with so much Star Wars; you want them to crave the new experience of Episode VII. I expect they'll stop airing the films on TV as well, for the time being. But who knows, we may see all the 3D SW films a few weeks before Episode VII, as some sort of marathon event in select markets, similar to what has been done with the LOTR and Twilight films. Even Die Hard is doing this next month before its Part 5 releases.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read anything concerning theatrical and home video distribution rights to the Clone Wars film and TV series? What sort of deal does WB have?
  19. LawJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with you as far as vaginal analogies.
  20. aguywithabiggun Jedi Master

star 4
    The 3D thing was stupid in the first place. Waste of time. I say good!
  21. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The re-release needed a better gimmick than 3D, something more on the order of the digital effects added to the special edition. What I'm lobbying for is that the new trilogy be a reboot of the franchise with OT sequels based on the original characters (Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie).

For the new re-release of the OT, Ford, Fisher and Hamill should be digitally replaced with the new cast, thus providing continuity into the sequel trilogy. Problem solved. It's something Lucas would have done.
  22. LawJedi Jedi Master

star 4
  23. Darth Chiznuk Superninja of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Wow, that's really wonderful that you have two 3D TV's; but guess what, not everyone can afford them (me!) Not everyone can afford the blu-rays or an HDTV or anything like that. Don't just assume people can just go to their neighborhood Best Buy and get these things anytime they want. Myself, I have four children to cloth and feed and so I can't go out and just buy a new TV (my 43' Vizio came from my sister who was moving and I was able to buy it cheap and I just now got the blu-rays about a month ago.) I can't afford to take my kids to a movie every weekend but for something special like the re-releases you bet I was planning to do so. So pardon me but I am upset about this.
  24. KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight

star 3
    welp, I guess it will keep the other two prequels from sinking into the certified rotten zone....
  25. Blur Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well put, well said. The forthcoming ST films are not aimed at older fans (like me) who grew up back when the OOT was originally in theatres, but to the newer generation.

My movie-going was at it's height during the days of the PT, and has dropped off significantly. Now I'm only interested in going to see 1-3 films a year (in the theatre, that is). Sure, I'll go see the ST in the theatre, but it won't be with the enthusiasm that newer fans will have...
    Last edited by Blur, Jan 29, 2013