main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Deadpool, the (Golden Globe-nominated) Movies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, May 6, 2009.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There are some amazing cameos in this movie. And yes, the end-credits are amazing.

EDIT: I've now realized (checking IMDB) I even missed a few...

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Whether I end up liking DP2 more than the first will rest on how much this issue gets better or worse for me the more I re-watch the movie.
    The biggest drag on the movie for me was Russel's comedy....it went downhill for me after the Bieber joke....I did like his and Wades ending....but I felt he and Wades bits felt off compared to how well I enjoyed seeing Deadpool interact with everyone else. Not terrible by any means but considering the importance and time spent with the character....I wanted to like that character more than I did....but hey that's comedy for ya...what really works for some might just not be your cup of tea

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    One thing's for sure: the Music Supervisor on this film earned every cent of his pay...

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Wow. I just found out about two more cameos.

So obviously Brad Pitt was Vanisher, I noticed that on the first watch. Once I found out Alan Tudyk played one of the toilet paper hillbillys, he was noticeable.

But... Matt Damon played the other hillbilly. And you know who played Juggernaut?! Ryan Reynolds! Wtf!

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So, did I miss the Stan Lee cameo?

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh wow, I just realised he wasn’t even in it. That’s a shame.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Probably wasn't healthy enough to do the cameo.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    His face is in it, but not him live in person

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So Ryan Reynolds likes beating up/attacking himself: Juggernaut ripping Deadpool in half; Deadpool killing the "other Deadpool" and Ryan Reynolds. :p

10. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I've avoided this thread since I could see the movie. Now that I have, looking forward to having fun on a re-watch for things I'm sure I missed but I quite liked it. Several things I was not expecting but I like how it played out.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught this last night. I think I left a little disappointed. It is funny throughout, but it definitely leans more into the comedy this time, underuses several characters and the first 15--20 minutes (up until the prison) drags a lot.

I kinda felt Wade's motivation in the film just isn't as strong as it was in the first film, like he's along for the ride. Him trying to kill himself works as a motivation, since that's something that has had entire arcs set around it in the comics, but that doesn't last for very long in the film. And he's never really out for revenge and the "protect the kid, I care about him" stuff never feels genuine.

Surprised they killed off Morena's character so soon. Feels a little cheap to not give her much more than the girlfriend role for even so brief of screentime. On one hand, I'm not too annoyed because Deadpool isn't really supposed to get the girl, yet, well, that's what the first film was kind of centered around so it kinda undermines itself there since they did it.

Also disappointed that they killed off a character like Shatterstar as a joke before he could even do anything. I mean, that whole sequence was hilarious, but, still. Feels wrong to off a name character as a gag.

Likewise, NTW was barely in the movie and didn't really do anything in her screentime, either. Was hoping she'd get a larger role this go around (the shots of her in the trailer were pretty awesome and worked well with the vibe being sold by the music).

Action was good, though. Cable and Domino were well done. Ryan is still perfect as Deadpool.

And, on the upside, at least it clarified that we're in the McAvoy timeline [face_laugh].

Lastly, folks will probably want to know that there's no post-credits stinger, just midcredits. However, if you stay to the end of the credits you do get to hear the epic music again. :D

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  12. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Avery timeline? :confused:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Saw it opening night

I lost it with the wind up Logan toy at the beginning

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That should have read “McAvoy”.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Review:

Baby legs[/url]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How many people knew before this movie came out that
    There's an amazing unplugged acoustic version of Take On Me that a-Ha performed for an MTV Unplugged Europe special?

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So about the report of bad test screenings

which I thought was bunk cuz the movie was great but it seems like someone who saw it was ticked that Vanessa was killed off. However, her death was tenuous at best the moment I saw it because "Hey, it's Cable! Time travel! She'll be fine!" Now it's possible the Vanessa resurrection was a last minute reshoot but I kinda doubt that, the people who make these movies seems smart enough to know that would have been a built in escape hatch and an awesomely subversive post-credits gag. So I'm saying despite reshoots, she was probably always resurrected in a gag post credits scene at the end. Worked great for the dramatic propulsion of the film by opening with her death and then just to completely undermine it flippantly so we get her happily alive again.

I saw the movie twice already and that even hit me harder the 2nd time

and I knew it was going to turn out fine! But Baccarin's "Kiss me like you miss me, Red." line delivery, holy heck!

Oh and they were giving out "Deadpool Desk Buddies" at the Thursday night show (he made a fine addition to my collection. Spoilered for size
    [​IMG]
    And also bought a Deadpool collector's cup the Friday show!
    [​IMG]

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Perfect. [face_laugh] And a friend who said no to seeing Deadpool 2 suddenly wants to see Deadpool 2 next Friday. I am looking forward to Brolin's Cable, laughing hard, and all of those goofy cameos.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Honestly, I’m surprised enough people in the audience even got the music video reference.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah when Vanessa pulled Wade through the wall, and he became unscarred Wade, that was a pretty direct reference. Oh and also the unscarred Wade change moment is just brilliant.

I actually think this movie may hit people a bit more harder emotionally than the 1st film, at least it does for me. I think because Wade in the 1st movie is more just horrified of what he's become with his looks (which is a bit shallow because we get the feeling Vanessa wouldn't care what he looked like) but here he's comfortable with what he's become and then has it taken away from him and then the world proceeds to kinda kick the crap outta him to the point where he's actually comfortable and embracing of death. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have tumours to grow. Vanessa awaits."

And, like I said, which is why I just loveeee the post-credit teaser that saves her. It's brilliant cuz it's a super funny way to fix the emotional turmoil that he just went through in the movie. Suddenly in about 30 seconds take a pretty heavy movie and cranks up the mega happy ending.

And the last 2 post credit scenes even amp it up even further. Well mega happy for Deadpool with lots of gun murder.

Anyway I know there were power-cancelling collars in The Gifted, did they use these exact props? Did the Gifted reference the Icebox?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The ones in this film are chunkier looking than the ones on The Gifted, but the overall design doesn't seem too dissimilar.

Not sure about the Icebox, except it reminded me of the prison from Escape Plan at first.

As for the emotional story- after seeing it a second time, I think it flows a little better, but I think those dream sequences don't quite land the way they were hoping, which hurts that angle of the story (which, again, I'm all for suicidal Wade).

Second time through allowed me to catch references i missed due to laughter the first time, like "Brown Panther". Also reminded me to comment on the clever way they got Deadpool into his grey X-Force uniform.

And, yes, the three stingers were amazing. If there is a DP3, though, I hope they let this be the last Green Lantern joke because I think it might get old (and be able to top) after this.

The XMOW scene can be time traveled back to in the opening credits of every remaining X film from now on, as far as I'm concerned. Man, it's been 9 years since that abominational version of Wade. That doesn't seem like that long a period of time, all things considered, for us to have gotten this moment of catharsis, so I feel we should be thankful.

(Amusing that the two worst parts of the franchise [X3 & XMOW Wade] have been retconned via time travel)

As for that first stinger, yeah, it will be interesting to see if, in DP3/XF, Vanessa is alive again or if her being svaed will be discarded as a joke.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There's a few solid comic book references in there that I noticed

when Deadpool is going on a rant about Dominio's luck powers being lame, he basically drops a Rob Liefeld reference ending with "WHO CAN'T EVEN DRAW FEET!"

Deadpool calling the X-Men "An outdated 60s metaphor for racism"

and one of my favourite ones is Deadpool saying "Nothing can stop the Juggernaut!!" Which is the title of a classic Spidey / Juggernaut tale

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, the Liefeld jab was marvelous. And not only does Deadpool say the Juggeraught catch phrase, but it's also part of that epic Juggernaught theme music choir that we can't quote here.

The Easter egg I caught during round two was that, during the X-Force try-outs, there's an illustrated poster of Outlaw behind everyone on the door. Nice nod to the Agent X/Agency X era of the character.

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I remember the power-cancelling collars from X-Men: The Animated Series when mutants were used as slave labor on that island, Genosha, I think.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved the continuation of the "superhero pose" gag from the first one. Now it's just visual.