main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Deadpool, the (Golden Globe-nominated) Movies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, May 6, 2009.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I know just enough about Deadpool (meaning his background, wise mouth, 4th wall) and that's it. He truly does make fun of the superhero assassin etc. and that's plenty for me.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    That'd be such a shame, and such a waste of Morena Baccarin.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Why would it be a waste? She's a great actress, and the role is pretty good. She doesn't need to play a mutant, especially one that's basically identical to an existing one.

And, anyway, the end of the script kind of hinted towards Vanessa receiving an, let's say, upgrade.

4. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Because, unless they're written REALLY well, straight-up love interests tend to bore me. There's a reason why my favorite MCU "love interests," Peggy Carter, Pepper Potts, Claire Temple, etc AREN'T just that. And Morena has proven she can be awesome, so seeing her reduced to just "Deadpool's GF" and used for sex appeal just sounds like a waste to me. There are plenty of ways to differentiate her from Mystique (unless you believe that powers are the defining part of a character's character, which I don't).

And as for the last part, it sounds like another "just wait, we'll get to it eventually," type of deal. And I'm getting really tired of studios doing that. I didn't like it with Hope van Dyne in Ant Man it sounds equally lame here.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    But Dave's correct... there is a reason she is:
    literally labeled Copycat. The X-Filmuniverse is still rather small and Mystique is one of the more prominent characters within it. Vanessa having blue skin and shapeshifting abilities could be detrimental with casual fans if they kept her comic accurate and catastrophic to knowledgeable fans if they alter her appearance or powers in the films to put distance between her and that other blue shapeshifter. Particularly when even the adverts for this film are mocking films that screw with source material.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, like giving her no powers. There, completely different and able to become a character instead of a CGI orgasm. Ta-dah!

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    It looks like if a Kevin smith movie mixed with a Marvel movie, Sign me up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus,
    If Deadpool does eventually cross back over into the X-Men movies, AND Jennifer Lawerence doesn't return as Mystique in future movies, then they have Copycat origin in reserve to play out as a replacement for Lawerence's Mystique.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Mr. Sunday Movies: DEADPOOL Trailer Breakdown - Six Things You Missed

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It's like a masked avocado is dry humping a carrot.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Reynolds described Deadpool as a "heavily armed talk show host" which I think is oddly apt. I think having Deadpool swear is a tad odd considering when he swears it gets ampersand speak in the comics but the violence in the books is pretty rated-R anyway (even though the comics are labeled "teen audiences". Meh, comic book rating system is wack.) and that angrily "look through the hole in his arm" gag very much feels like out of the book. I hope this movie does well because we kind of need the superhero comic book genre to start pushing the envelope and instead of just being mired in PG-13 blockbuster mode forever and ever. Also Baccarin looks amazing and the Negasonic Teenage Warhead chick I think is gonna be real fun just because she looks annoyed at the whole thing.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    LOL, I love this thread. Hopefully the movie will as much fun/hysterical as seeing Black Dynamite and the Hangover (for the first time) in the theaters. Right now, I think I will probably be [face_rofl] and that's great.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Go back to page six and see all the excited gifs The2ndQuest posted when the news about the movie finally getting greenlit was confirmed.:)

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Well, not all of the comic book films need to be R rated. Parent groups won't be happy with that and merchandising will have a fit. Having Deadpool, Blade and the Punisher be R rated works since it fits with those characters. Marvel and Fox can take a loss on that kind of venture. But it doesn't need to be that way all around. Having Batman be a hard PG-13 like with "The Dark Knight" is fine.

16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't care about hypotheticals. There's is ZERO reason to take a character who's a Mutant in the comics and make her simply human here. And why is it always FEMALE (and minority) characters who get the "wait and see" treatment? Seriously, it's always "just wait, we'll get to them eventually, maybe, possibly" and we never seem to get that with Male/White ones. No, just do it NOW for once instead of this "maybe/possibly in a few years" crap (especially since this franchise has already gotten a lot of flak for underusing/underserving female/minority characters (which they have imo).

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I hear you, but Copycat is ****. No loss here. Should have gone with Outlaw.

hudzu likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Huh, is Jessica Chobot is still trying to convince us she's into this geek ****? :p

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Her inclusion in Mass Effect 3 was....odd.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well that's interesting, at least he can't lie about not having a cameo this time.

23. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    It's semi-amusing when Stan Lee has a cameo in a movie featuring characters he claims to have co-created, but when he shows up in Deadpool or Captain America, when even he doesn't lie and say he authored them, it's cloying and stupid IMSIO.

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    He's the public face of Marvel, regardless. Still, kinda surreal seeing him hold a pair of pistols like that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    It might work as satire. Fortunately his scenes are never very long, and lately the various filmmakers have gotten creative with the idea. So we'll see how this one pans out.