main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Deadpool, the (Golden Globe-nominated) Movies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, May 6, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think he was better than you give him credit for (mostly thanks to the actor playing him) but I can't say he was a stand-out villain either (mostly for how he was written).

Ultimately he was a villain (but not a supervillain) that you needed to hate so that the pile of revenge would feel satisfying (versus a bad Die Hard villain's role of wanting it just to be over already) and he achieved that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Scott Pilgrim was a pretty decent if flawed film. I liked it...
    ...but no, not by a longshot. I still think that title still belongs to The Dark Knight.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Sad to hear that you have not seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet :)

4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I saw it. It was a fun flick, I liked it. But nope, not the best funnybook flick IMO.

5. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    [face_tee_hee]

The problem with 'best' is people usually confuse that with 'favourite' so these discussions never end well.

zero_point_zero and Beardwalker like this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    That's why I said Scott Pilgrim is the best. The most interesting and original and best. My favorite is Superman the movie.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I'd put Superman the Movie in a very shortlist of best comic book/superhero movies because, back in 1978, it was truly awesome. The Williams score. The planet Krypton. Christopher Reeve looking like he was born to play the role. But Jesus, everything else is so very dated and hokey as ****. If only they had remade it with modern effects and sensibilities in mind instead of giving us garbage like Returns and MoS...

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    You've seen it too! I didn't know there was anyone else left alive who remembered the 78 version.

9. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    Good lord your world is small.

Jedi Merkurian and Rylo Ken like this.
  10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If I can make someone under the age of 30 feel smug about their relative level of pop culture literacy, then my work here is done.

AmySolo and Diggy like this.
  11. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    I don't really see how thinking no one has heard of/seen things that have decent geek followings helps someone else to feel smug. I mean NOW sure DP is pop culture but that's mostly because of the ad campaign over the last two months. Prior to that neither was in the general consciousness, tho thinking it's in no one's consciousness is boggling.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Interesting. I cannot name a single best. Here would be my nominations.

The Dark Knight
    Kick-Ass
    The Incredibles
    Superman The Movie
    Winter Soldier

I'll stop right there because a top ten list would be easy. So the next five(and more) I could name I don't think quite measure up to these 5. It is of course entirely possible I could look at this list tomorrow and change my mind on one.

EDIT: I get favorite vs best and what not. I did not include Superfuzz for example.

AmySolo likes this.
  13. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Deadpool looks to me like a very over ratted movie, I am not interested at all in seeing it at the movies, It looks just OK, I will probably rent It on On-Demand Xfinity though.

I think based on the fact that I saw Avengers Age Of Ultron In the theater and thought that Ultron was a really fun Popcorn Flick, I put Ultron at a higher Pedestal then Deadpool and think Ultron Is probably better... many times on here I get Suggestions on movies to see and I usually like what you guys suggest, I guess like minds and all. I rented Prometheus and the Martian on the advice of people on here and Loved them both, Prometheus IMHO is one of the most underrated Ridley Scott films out there!!!!!
    but on the advice of people on here who the majority loved it, I rented Ant Man and I was extremely Underwhelmed.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Comcast appreciates your brand specificity. ;)

AmySolo likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Deadpool is not over ratted, as I don't recall seeing 1 rat in the movie. :p

darth-sinister likes this.
  16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    lots of rats down here in Florida, and mice, there are Mice Nesting in my Dads KIA Sorento engine he got some with Mice traps but they put the Palm Seeds in engines on Chilly nights. it got down to the low 40s in Port Charlotte a few times we even got Frost on the grass and the roof of our house.

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Of course I did. Possibly one of the very few memories I have left of the 70's. I saw that before I ever saw the first SW.

And yes, I'm old.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Fun factoid: the Deadpool script that leaked years ago is pretty close to the film, however there is no Negasonic Teenage Warhead (damn shame!) and other bits, but there's patches of dialogue that remained and Deadpool's origin story is the same and very unlike X-Men Origins Wolverine. Now, since the timeline went all sideways with DoFP, it's easy to say "oh, this is Wade's origin in the new timeline" (and the movie itself references different timelines) but it is interesting to note that even before DoFP was a thing and gave them an out, they already decided to scrap the X-Men Origins Wolverine Deadpool origin and just flat-out do this instead.

As for the Wade stuff being not as great as the Deadpool stuff, I ain't sayin the Wade stuff is bad, it's a tad rote and follows a superhero origin pattern (with a few nifty flourishes that makes it unique) it just kinda pales next to whenever the movie cuts back to Deadpool it's all "yeeehaw! no more flashback, Deadpool killing people!"

I will say my favourite Deadpool moment technically occurs near the end of the flashback when Wade is making the suit and tracking down leads. The whole montage is just super kinetic and crazy. The zamboni usage is amazing, especially the cut to the wide shot of Deadpool running a zamboni down at the goon crawling away is darkly hillarious. "You're going to ****ing die! In five minutes!"

Morena Baccarin is playing a sort of hooker with a heart of gold and then convenient third act kidnap bait but, holy crow, the gal just elevates pretty much anything. I think the bit of Wade being tortured to spurn his mutant powers is nifty, it works on the X-Men theme that the powers manifest at times of stress, but since Wade made it to adulthood without the mutant gene kicking in they have to "force" it to happen, which the R-rating lets it be a tad more sadistic and mean than you would expect. It certainly felt nastier than what Logan went through in Origins. As for the Ed Skrien of it all, I don't think he's awful, I think he's a tad generic. But the evil mutation of the character is that he doesn't "feel anything" so by that nature he has to be a bit monotone. However, he has some great stuff in there at moments. On the bridge when he sees Deadpool he goes "Wade ****ing Wilson" as if he's just mildly amused by the whole thing. The whole mad scientist bit works really well with a couple of good monologues. Actually one of my favourite bits of evil is when Ajax is telling Wade all of these terrible things that are going to happen to him and you'll notice Ajax is eating salad out of a tupperware container. It's darkly workmanlike. Like, here's a guy whose job is to torture people until they mutate but he obviously, like, thinks it's enough of a ho-hum job that he's bothering to pack a salad in tupperware from home and bring it in to casually much on it when he's going to stuff Wade into the oxygen deprivation tank.

Also one of my favourite moments in the movie isn't really a joke at all, it's a dark bit with just Reynolds and Skrien right at the end:
    "What's my name?"
    "Who ****ing cares." *CH-CLACK!*

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Stan Lee on his regret with his Deadpool cameo and the reason why it was a box office smash hit

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I thought I saw this rat...

[​IMG]

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    When you're as old as Stan Lee you can take credit for any aspect of Marvel's success that you want to take credit for.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So you take credit?

(there, I've aged you even more than Boba Nekhbet)

Rylo Ken likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It's not really an age thing in this case. My complaining about superhero movies drives people to see them multiple times in protest, and that's why Marvel movies do so well, yes.

AmySolo and Diggy like this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    IIRC, Stan said he wouldn't mind doing a cameo in a Batman flick.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Well stop doing it, lad. Maybe dwindling audiences will put a nice, decade-long break on the genre that is kinda welcome at this point.