main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dealing with WAREZ

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthArjuna, Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    "what if someone downloads a program that they only need to use once? "

What?? When do you /ever/ NEED to use a program just once?

For a school assignment? No... the teacher wouldn't assign something that you have to use illegal software on.

For work? No... your boss wouldn't assign you a project that you have to use illegal software on.

A need is "a necessity arising from the circumstances of a case." The only thing I see someone "needing" it for is to make a fun movie with their friends.

Come on!

And, to add to Fenn's list of "Y'know's" I have this:

"Y'know, it would really help me to learn how to edit on a mac if I had one... maybe I'll just run out of the store with this laptop...." and, if using the if But-It-Won't-Hurt-Anyone argument, tack on, "CompUSA has insurance, anyway."

2. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    To: Therealfenn

okay....so.... share the license.

and if you can't share the license... then share whatever the hell it is that you are purchasing... because in any deal when you purchase something... you hand over money to someone in return for something...

In other words... there is something that you are buying that isn't theirs anymore... so you could share that. Your not renting something, your buying it.

3. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Drew:
    This is where copyright comes into play.

You are buying a single copy/license of that software.

You do not have the RIGHT to COPY that software, because you did not create it, and do not have the COPY RIGHT.

They are selling you a COPY that they alone had the RIGHT to make. That's why money exchanges hands.

Get it?

4. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002
    aaahhh... yes... copyright...

you got me there....

5. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    Of course you can need a program only once, I'm not talking about big programs like photoshop or max, I'm talking about the small programs, For instance a plugin for 3d studio max that costs $100 and you need it for ONE picture effect. That is what I'm talking about!

Shadow...

6. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Since no one is paying any attention to the rules on TFN regarding this subject, I feel compelled to restate the policy:

"Warez is stealing, and advocating it will get you banned and/or your thread locked. We're very strict on this policy for two reasons. First of all, stealing is wrong and this forum is no place to share your support of it. Many of the forum's members work in the technology field and would be particularly offended to hear their kind of work is being acquired free after all the hard work they put into such software.

Additionally, if word gets out that Star Wars fan films are being made with stolen software, George Lucas may decide to shut down the entire hobby.

If you're unfamiliar with exactly what warez constitutes: Warez is software, normally sold in stores, that has been illegally copied and distributed. If you acquired such software via an Internet download or a burned CD-R, it may be stolen."

So again, regardless of what anyone's personal opinion is on this subject, the above constitutes THE LAW regarding the subject on this board. SO STOP TRYING TO JUSTIFY IT'S USE ON THIS BOARD.

That should be the end of the discussion, period.

So if the mods would kindly do us all a favor and kill this thread, I know I would appreciate it.

7. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay... I'll just like to state that i do not participate in warez... well as far as computer programs go. I may have said things that try and justify it, but thats just doubts i have in my head. If my opinion could not be neutral then its definitly negative against warez.

Warez is bad
    Don't do warez

8. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    I think one good way to stop WAREZ is to actually recruit people that make the warez patches, software and cracks. I think if Adobe knew exactly what the warez creators do to make cracks, etc. maybe they could find a better way around it. Until things just can't be copied period, I don't see the reason for so many serial numbers (except for online games).

9. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    "ONE picture effect."

And what do you NEED that one picture effect for?

10. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thanks a lot, everybody... I've got one argument I haven't heard before ;) I've heard almost all of them... and I give my consent to lock this thread! (Since I made it.)

I have my answer, I'm done. Thanks, all.

11. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    All right then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.