Amph Dear Constant Reader...The Stephen King Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    The title says it all! King has delved into many genres; a smattering of sci-fi here, a smidgen of fantasy there...hequickly grew out of the horror genre and spread his qings to great affect. And in the next few months, he enters into comic books with more tales of Roland of Gilead and the Dark Tower crew. It should be awesome. In fact that's Roland up there! In teh top right corner. What a guy!

I suppose this could be somewhat of a hosted discussion, but I'd prefer less formal for now.

But perhaps leading off with Cell, King's latest book, set to be released in less than a fortnight. I read the beginning of the book, and even those few pages got me excited. The concept was intriguing, and I'm hoping for a good dose of King. Anyone else?
  2. jedi_john_33 Jedi Knight

star 7
    I haven't been keeping up with news on King, though I should be.

My favorite book outside the DT series is probably Desperation.
  3. REVANLORD Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I really love the way he started off the Uncut version of The Stand. "Dear Constant Reader, I hope I have caught you a safe distance from the cash register. Please, if you wish to read a new version of this novel, put away your wallet before the cashier takes the money out of your pocket and puts it in mine." The guy is a genius!! :D

The Hooded Soul
  4. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Cell looks like a great modern twist on the Zombie genre. I'm looking forward to it. I can't tell you how happy I was when I learned there was going to be life beyond the last Dark Tower book. For a time King was telling us that would be it.

Did anyone catch The Colorado Kid? A very different story (which still could have a bit of DT in it).
  5. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I've bene meaning to pick that up, but thought it might be too noir for me. How is it? Is it King, or Kingbeing not King. If that makes sense.
  6. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It's tried and true King, but in a new genre. More like one of his novellas than a regular novel, but I did enjoy it. The theme of the story is listening to a mystery for the sheer joy of loving a mystery and not to always look for the answer.
  7. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    So...From a Buick 8, but grounded in reality?
  8. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Hmm... I guess the theme is similar, but it's far more satisfying. I thought the theme didn't work at all in From a Buick 8. All it did was tick me off. In here, there's this huge mystery and the enjoyment really is in the telling. With B8, I couldn't enjoy it because I kept being told it would lead nowhere. When that happens you start to ask yourself "why bother?"
  9. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I felt exactly the same way. After about the third time, I wa slike, I get it! There is no conclusion!".
  10. Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi - another fan! I'm afraid I haven't read the comics, but I'm a big fan of his books. I like the older ones; Shining, Misery, The Stand and my all time fav is The Dark Half.

I'm looking forward to reading The Cell!
  11. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    The comics aren't out yet, so you've not missed out.

I picked up and read The Colorado Kid. It really was very interesting.
  12. DarthBreezy Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've always enjoyed King's work although (Sin and sacralage to some) the DT series just didn't do it for me.

Of all his writings, I actually like to read his Authors notes the best! Not that I don't enjoy the actual stories (especially his 'quick kisses in the dark' AKA the short stories). The introduction to Night Shift and the body under the sheet [face_worried] was almost scarier than "The Boogieman" which actually kept me awake the first night I read it. After all, my closet door was open you see...

Just a crack...
  13. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    You are forgiven for forgetting the face of your father and not appreciating the Dark Tower. Your apprecaition for Sai King's other works (which all serve the beam and link to the Dark Tower in one way or another) is enough to keep you from being sent west. ;)
  14. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    You're too easy on her. I say she has to persom the comalla.
  15. DarthBreezy Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I throw myself on teh Mercy...

I did Try the Gunslinger back in the age when I was a temp - I was working at a seafood packing plant listening to the book on tape....

*cachicha-chicca Ka?*

'Nuff said!
  16. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The Gunslinger is a tough read. Even with the updated version. I suggest you read the second book The Drawing of the Three. It's a great story on it's own and should inpire even the most ademant non-believer to pick up the first book and trudge through Roland's introduction again.

17. Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight

star 7
    Yeah, the Gunslinger is a tough read alone.

I recall chewing through the first three on a trip to visit family. I was but a untested youth, far too young to even attempt to be a 'pprentice. Many paths have I walked since, but I still looked forward to Sai King's next tale of the Last Gunslinger and his ka-tet.
  18. jedi_john_33 Jedi Knight

star 7
    Personally, I thought The Gunslinger was an easy, smooth read.
  19. Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Same here, though I found the whole flashback within a flashback within a flashback a little confusing at the time.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I'm a fan of King, though I've only read sporadically. I intend to read his entire output eventually though.

I think his best book, of the ones I've read, is easily Pet Semetary, probably the greatest tragedy of the past thirty years. Brilliant book by a brilliant author.
  21. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Perhaps my favorite author, Stephen King was for decades, the only author I would rush to buy in hardcover. Discovering Carrie and Salem's Lot in paperback, I had run across The Shining in a book store and one look at the name made me realize I must have it. From then on I kept an vigil search of his works.

As a SFF fanatic, I'd never been disappointed by him and the wonderful characters and scary worlds he created.

I don't think I can pick a favorite book of his, as my mood can change or a rereading can unearth some little gem I'd missed or forgotten.

Some that I may pick up more often then others are

The Dark Tower series
    The Stand
    It
    The Talisman
    Eyes of the Dragon
    The Shining
    Tommyknockers

I would wish to meet him, give him a hug and thank him for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment he's brought me. [:D] [face_love]

22. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Anyone else picking up Cell this week?
  23. Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Me! I'm getting it for my birthday :D
  24. Pumpkin_King Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Was that coming out this week?
  25. Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus

star 6
    January 24. Yeah, I'll be picking it up the day after. I'm looking forward to it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.