main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Dear Constant Reader...The Stephen King Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I can't believe all the Gunslinger hating going on on page 1. From the moment I picked it up, I was sucked in. The book was strong, and I adore it. If anything, the subsequent couple of books were a significant decline, though I'm now about halfway through Wizard and Glass and it may be giving The Gunslinger a run for its money. I suppose it's possible that if you don't like Gunslinger you might be sold by one of the subsequent ones (though The Drawing of the Three is without question the weakest of the four so far), but if you aren't sold by Gunslinger, I am clearly not going to understand your tastes.

Incidently, I had always had this idea that King was probably not an especially good author. Probably a kind of literary snobbishness based on his popularity. So I'd never read any, until The Shining was assigned for a class on Gothic literature. When I actually read it, I was completely amazed. I hadn't expected anything of that depth or thoughtfulness or literary ability. I was so impressed by what I read that I decided to go through The Dark Tower (I adore the Browning poem, so the idea of a seven-book fantasia on it was quite intriguing to me), and have not been disappointed so far. I will probably keep going with King after I finish; The Stand may be my next stop.

-Paul

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I will probably keep going with King after I finish; The Stand may be my next stop.

a great epic.

also check out hearts in atlantis :).

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Hostel flatly sucked.

Haven't read Cell yet, myself. Last King book I read was The Talisman which (imo at least) is one of his best.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Dead Zone is an absolute masterpiece; should be required reading.

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Dead Zone is depressing as hell. I spent most of that day wandering around in a numbed daze:p

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I read "Cell" about a month ago and thought it was amazing. A very well written and scary novel.

However, I also read "It" and thought it stunk to high heaven.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    What? It was great.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    "What was?"

"It."

"I know it, but what's the name of the book?"

"You know It?"

"Yeah, I know it, but what's the name of the book?"

"Well, if you know It, why do I have to tell you?"

"Just tell me what's the name of the book!"

"No, no, What is not the name of the book!"

"I know it. But what is?"

"What?"

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes."

"What about It?"

"Are you going to tell me what it is?"

"Yes, that's it exactly. It is It."

"I know that, but . . ."

"No, no, not That! It!"

"Yes, that's what I'm talking about: that one. But what's the name of it?!"

:p

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

If you were to recommend one Stephen book to a newcomer, what would it be?

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    My favorite is Pet Sematary or The Dead Zone, but I've only read about six of his books to date, so someone else can probably give you a better idea.

11. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    With Pet Cemetary King takes personal and psychological nihilism to a whole 'nother level. None of his books or stories that Ive read end on a completely happy note, but Jesus.......

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Pet Sematary was actually my introduction to the man's writing, which may have something to do with why it's my favorite thus far.

But I thought it really had the truth about grief. There were moments of such honesty about what it's like to grieve that I just literally wept. I think it's right up there with the great tragedies, really.

Of course, King himself thought he'd gone too far with that one; reportedly wouldn't publish it for quite some time.

13. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I'd recommend The Stand, but if you get intimidated by the page count you can't go wrong with a fun little devilish tale called Needfulful Things.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The longer the book, the better. Authors can't hurl their hard work at you so fast for myriad reasons, so what's wrong with a longer read? That impatient to finish? I prolonged Memories of Ice's 1200 pages for a month to saviour my best enjoyed read as long as I could. ;)

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    If that's your attitude, then I think you and King will be a good fit for each other. Might try Different Seasons, for an introduction to King as an author, as opposed to a horror author. It's not perfect (The Breathing Method has a great premise and execution, but not much of a story and Shawshank is better on film), but it's a great book in it's own way.

16. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    I just finished Carrie and it was very good. I'm now working on The Stand.

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If you were to recommend one Stephen book to a newcomer, what would it be?

the dead zone. classic king.

18. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    That was my first King book. It was good but very, very sad.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hmm...Eyes of the Dragon, maybe, or It for a guy who reads as voraciously as you.

20. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Do NOT read It, especially you, Ex. You would shred it apart. :p

21. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Id read them in order.

22. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I agree with darth_paul about The Gunslinger, and it is personally my favorite King book. It's best to read it without much Tower knowledge. Reading the first time shocked me at how strong it is, how different it is from King's other novels, and just the plain gonzo factor of it. Since you're a big anti-fantasy cliche person look no farther than the tale of the last gunslinger.

23. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Anybody pick up Stephen King's latest,Lisey's Story, yet? I picked it up saturday and I'm enjoying is so far (Pg 155).

24. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I just picked this up last week and have been reading it during my lunch breaks. It's a bit of familiar territory (Bag of Bones meets the Dark Tower) but I am enjoying it so far. I don't know which scares me for Lisey more, the real-world stranger on the phone, or that thing "with the piebold side" from her husbands imagination (?). Whatever he may say, the Dark Tower still clearly has a hold on him. You can feel it in the Todash spaces between the pages.

25. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Not that this is a very hopping thread, but I finished Lisey's Story last night. It was really well written and one of the better King books I've read in a while.

There were lots of Dark Tower hints Like a local Township called Gilead, and mention of many worlds linked together but if I were to link any storyline to this one, it would be the Talisman. It's similar in that Scott is able to jump from one world to this other and there are mentions of "Jack liting out for the territories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.