Challenge Dear Diary (a 2007 challenge) Come on in and vote!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by the_wandering_shadow, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Lea-El Force Ghost

star 4
    Today is the first day of the second half of the year and we made it.
  2. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Congratulations to everyone who's made it so far. :D

BTW, has anyone else had plot bunnies bite them while writing their diaries? ... or reading someone else's diaries? :p
  3. iamobiwan1970 Jedi Master

star 4
    My goal for summer is to really get things moving again with my diary. I got really into another story I was writing and slowed down significantly with the diary. Now I am at a place where I can focus once again. I would be willing to try to spice up my writing with some ideas. July=explosive....yeh, I could see that fitting in with what I already have planned out! :D

I'm looking forward to returning to my story.

4. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I just got an interesting idea for a new diary, and I'm gonna be writing it in MSword and will have it ready to start posting through next year. That is, if I have the patience to wait that long! :oops:
  5. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Explosions! Sure two of my diaries will get explosive. ROTS is starting.

BTW congratulations for those still writing =D=
  6. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Okay, so lets try it:

Topic of July: Explosions, fire works and things that go boom in the night.

Let's see how it works.
    Of cousre, not integrating the special challenges will not have any effect on the eligibility of the Diary in general.:D
  7. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't do it on purpose, but I did integrate one of my diaries, Left Behind, with the challenge... a ship blew up, but it wasn't the main topic... it was the deaths of those on board that was the subject. I did put an explosive entry... figuratively and literally... in my other diary, Growing in the Force.

8. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Okay, sparked by the 'Where have all the Guys Gone'- thread and some interesting points about writing that came up there I wonder:

How many of us are writing a character of the same sex. And how many chose to write the opposite? Why? And does it bring complications? Would you try the other next time around?
  9. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I really didn't think about it when I did it, but both my diaries, "Left Behind" and "Growing in the Force" are both by males and I'm female. I chose Kavin from "Growing in the Force" because I'd already established in his stories that he keeps a journal, so I only found it logical to use him. I chose Tiin for "Left Behind" because I wanted to flesh him out a little bit... he's a minor from two other of my stories.

I didn't really think about choosing characters of the opposite sex... it was just a coincidence really that I thought those two were the best candidates. It doesn't really present any complications for me to write from the male POV.

Well, I'm already starting on next year's challenge... I have two "entries" ready for it so far saved in MSword... and well, I'm not gonna give out which characters it is save it is a shared diary of sorts for two cannon characters, though it's in AU form. One is male and one is female, and they each share their insights/feelings about the same events.
  10. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I'm writing one character of my own gender (Ynna) and one of the opposite gender (Sian). I understand them both in different ways. It's not really complicated for me. I'm surrounded by males so I get a good peek into their ways. Between my husband, three sons, and LOTS of nephews, I've got a lot of material to pull from when I write. :D
  11. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Another thread-killer topic.:oops:
    I should work on this.

When I started the diary I didn't think about gender either. It just seemed a good idea for a tie-in with my other stories, so I did it. Only later it occured to me that Boba Fett would actually count as writing somebody of the opposite sex. (I'm not going to anlyze that now[face_worried] )
    So far it has been much more difficult for me to make the guy likeable than to make him male. I think. I don't have any male commentors, so I can't proove anthing.
  12. Maggy Force Ghost

star 4
    I write the opposite gender!
    Why? Cause I intended to use an already created OC and he is the only one :p
    I'm not sure if it brings complications [face_thinking] since the OC is anyway a Yuuzhan Vong - that brings complications enough to think like them. It does not matter anymore what gender 8-}

Right now I'm not even sure if I would give it another try. I'm not good in writing for fixed dates :( that's why I'm nearly always late :p ;) [face_worried]

oh and my diary got updated :D
  13. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    My diary OC is my gender. It wasn't a concious decision, but I was just letting my muse have her way and she took off.

14. iamobiwan1970 Jedi Master

star 4
    My diary OC is also my gender. I did that because I think the challenge saif to make the main character someone other than the Canon person you would focus on. In my case the female is a doctor who falls in love iwht Kyp Durron the canon charcter. I have written men first person. It seems to be ok.

15. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I've got a female OC, but I didn't choose her gender to match my own, just like I don't really notice much that more than half of my books are by female authors. It just worked out that way.
  16. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Okay, new month new challenge, for those who want one.
    School/college is back on and time is short, so:

Topic of August: I have no Time!

That could mean being late, being too late or just generally pressed for time. Let uss ee the counter reach zero.:D

And in case anybody sees a free discussion topic floating around...[face_batting]
  17. EmeraldSith Jedi Padawan

Never participated in this challenge before, but I suddenly came up with a story idea that would fit well with it. It's not too late to start a new diary, is it?
  18. Jedi-Roxy Jedi Master

star 3
    Alright... I'm in... but be warned... I don't keep a journal of my own, so writing one for another character will be... interesting... yeah, let's go with that...
  19. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    EmeralSith Since the challenge already is on since January, it'd be a little late to join in. There'll be another one next year, though.

Jedi-Roxy The idea is not to post your own diary here. Were not that crazy.;)
    Most write either diaries of canaon or original characters.
  20. Jedi-Roxy Jedi Master

star 3
    Lol... yeah... Just read the person above me's post... I'll just wait untill next year then..
  21. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    Topic of August: I have no Time!

Yeah, tell me about it! ;) Ever since I started this challenge my life has been taken over by a determined 17 year old with visions of granduer. And it's all about TIME! :eek:

divapilot gave me a great suggestion a while back: start an outline using the table feature in Word. It has helped me so much by keeping me on tract and using my time wisely...well--wiser than if I didn't have it.
  22. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    Wish I had used a table like that, Jade_Pilot. Right now I'm a little pressed for things to happen before I can get to the great showdown. Not well planned at all. *sigh*

And my life has alss been taken over by the diray keeper in question. I'm still not sure what to think about that, though.[face_thinking]

A brand new month, a brand new topic. And the topic of September is:

And Also The Trees

Taking into consideration that this is Sci-Fi, lets take a moment to consciously include some nature. A tree, a meadow, a sudden confrontation with nature, what have you. I'm sure you're getting much more ideas than me.:D
  23. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    OH!!! This fits perfectly in with my next post-to-be when she arrives on Alderaan. I was going to go this diretion anyway. Cool!!!

And thanks MsLanna for indexing this challenge. [:D]
  24. divapilot Force Ghost

star 4
    I can put some nature in. I was going to have one of my next updates take place in a restaurant, but I can just as easily put it in a park. I've used the park setting for an important scene earlier.

Let's see... romantic stroll along a tree-lined path. Yep, that will do nicely.[face_love]
  25. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    My next entries will have lots of nature, trees, a dirt-race, a desert on a certain planet
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.