main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary (a 2007 challenge) Come on in and vote!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by the_wandering_shadow, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Updating Amongst the Overlooked again

2. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Speaking of dropping out...I think I'm going to have to drop this one. School has me way too busy to try to keep this up. It was fun while it lasted. Sorry everyone...:( ...:_|

3. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    So who is still writing their diary?

Just curious:oops: !!! I'm really enjoying mine.

Can we have a roll call?

Before: ???

Saga: ???

Beyond:

Journal of Leela Radian

:D Obi

Edit: I missed page seven!!!!! [face_beatup] Sorry! the roll call and updating there is excellent. thanks Ms. Lanna! =D=

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    No problem, iamobiwan1970.:)

I'm down with a bad pain in the back, so the index may slack a little in the next few days.
    It will depend on how long I can sit down and type. I might not be able to search the boards for the updated stories.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm still writing two of them. But I've run into a problem with the one on Saga. If I complete it, it will give away what happens in the story from which I plucked the OC. So I think I'm going to have to let that one go. :_|

6. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Thank you for the wonderful indexing job Ms. Lanna! @};-

7. jedimastercam

jedimastercam Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm thinking about doing one. Got the first part but don't if I should go on.

8. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Mine's still up but I may drop out...[face_worried]

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    My OC's are still making their entries. ;)

I hope you feel better soon. I know all about back pain! [:D]

10. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    I've dropped out so you can take me out of the index :(

11. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm back and well, it was just a sprained muscle in my back. *phew*

Oh dear. If people keep dropping out like that, the winner will simple be the last one writing.:(
    And nobody drops completely from the index, there is a memorial list which is by now much longer than the list of participants.:_|
    Of course, that makes indexing much easier.:p

What about another attmept to get some disusiion going? I know all failed so far. but I'm a hopeless optimist.
    What I'd like to know:

How you came up with the idea for the diary? Was it spawned by another of your stories, just another story, or did you start something completely new?
    Did you know where you want to go with it right from the start?
    Are you still writing as inteneded, or did you just go off an tangent?

12. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    How you came up with the idea for the diary? Was it spawned by another of your stories, just another story, or did you start something completely new?

Oooh! Pick me! I'll go first!!![face_dancing]

My character already existed in another story, which is being written from the POV of Luke/Mara. The idea that the diary is taking is in many ways the same story as the original, only told through a different character's perspective. It's the L/M romance from an outside observer's POV. However, this character's own romance has taken over the diary itself, and lately (although not permanently) L/M have slid aside to let the OCs talk.

I created an outline based on 26 posts (one every two weeks). The nice thing about the diary is that the posts do not have to be long, so that number is doable. I pretty much know what everyone will be doing and where the story will end, although obviously I haven't written the details yet. I have gotten excellent advice from others who have helped to make the story stronger, so there is flexibility in what I want to have happen.

The diary is weaving together not just L/M but the OCs, so there is still much to talk about.

I pretty much had a basic idea where I wanted it to go. In the original story, there are implications of a larger story with the OCs. Those implications are there to add a level of authority as L/M seek advice from the OCs. For example, in the original story, Luke asks the OC for a suggestion as to what to give a woman for a present. The diary allows me to fill in the holes that show how the OC knows what she is talking about. At this point, there aren't that many tangents that the diary story will take.

13. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    How did you came up with the idea for the diary? Was it spawned by another of your stories, just another story, or did you start something completely new?

Well first, I wasn't going to do the challenge. I had just finished the Drabble challenge and though I enjoyed it, I was tired of a weekly challenge and looking forward to some time off. Then a friend "encouraged" me to become involved with it. I said no, but was waffling. Funny thing is that person dropped out, but I'm still going. :p

I have always been interested in Tatooine and what it would be like to grow up on this planet. Then I thought about what Luke's life would be like and how we could see him through the eyes of an OC. The idea of Tani being Luke's first wife just sort of popped out of no where.

Are you still writing as inteneded, or did you just go off on a tangent?

I have stayed with my original idea and expanded on it.

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think I was dropped out because I didn't update for a while, but if it makes you feel better, I'm still writing it :) Ouch!!! I hurt a muscle in my shoulder, and I can totally sympathise [:D]

How you came up with the idea for the diary? Was it spawned by another of your stories, just another story, or did you start something completely new? Did you know where you want to go with it right from the start?

I had had the idea for mine (Xan/OC) for a while; I just adapted the format slightly. So far there isn't much to it :p but no, I've stayed the course (a first for me :p ).

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006

The first one: "Diary of an exile" was spawned by my fics about the clonewars and Obi-Wan and by some of my fanart.
    The second "Diary of Yoda?s lightsabre" the same and the third one about the "Coruscant firefighter" after a night of a lot of real fire-alerts and something that happened 10 years ago.

Yes and they are partly written up to december 31 and my other fics are relating to the diaries or mentioned in them.
    Are you still writing as intended, or did you just go off an tangent?

Still writing as intended and an excel-sheet keeps track of them and they will connect to each other in the end. Actual events are inserted between the finished parts and some of my fics run parallel with one or two diaries.

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006

Well, in the one written in the before the saga era, I took the minor OC, Tiin, who loved Miri but decided not to act on his love. I thought it'd be interesting to get into his head a bit.

In the after the saga era, I went back about four years in the life of my main OC from another story.

Did you know where you want to go with it right from the start? Sort of. I didn't want Tiin dwelling on Miri every single entry... a full year of lost-love angst would get old fast!

Are you still writing as inteneded, or did you just go off an tangent? I never had a full out plan for the diaries. I'm taking it one entry at a time. That way it'd show like real life. You never know what will happen. ;)

17. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I thin it is interesting, though not surprising that many of the diaries are somehow tied to other stories we wrote. I have a tie-in as well, because, in an unguarded moment I wondered: But where was he all the time?
    Wrong question obviously.:p

I did not really know how to approach the diray and what to let happen, but since I knew exactly where Fett needs to end up, I managed to plan pretty fast. And I stayed true to the plan so far, except that I explored some questions more than I had intended and action seems to be lacking completly.:oops: That might be the format, though. For me diaries are the place of musings.

18. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    I realize this was supposed to start on Jan 1, so I guess I shouldn't even be here, :p but I'm wondering if I can post a linkie in here for the new diary I just started?

19. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006

I actually started with the end of the story. Sarama was originally the main character in a Temple Purges one-shot. What happened, I'm obviously not going to say, but I took quite a liking to her, so when this came around, I knew I could work her character. She's emotional, constantly questioning herself and her ablities and she has a lot of insecurities. Best of all, she's a teenage girl. I though exploring that against the backdrop of the Clone Wars and slowly crumbling Republic would be interesting.

I still don't know where I'm going with it! I have the beginning, I have the ending, but the middle? It's all up in the air. I have a vague outline idea of what's going to happen, but more specifically than the terribly vague idea? Nope. I haven't a clue what Sara's will do next. Really, between the muse and her, I'm all blindfolded.

you still writing as inteneded, or did you just go off an tangent?

Never really having had a real idea of what was going to happen, I guess I can't really say. But I will say things didn't go like I imagined. Sara has a lot more to her than I realized. She's done a lot of things that weren't going through my head at the beginning.

20. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    My diary response was only musings, until my character took over and wanted dialogue added. She's pushy that way. ;)

21. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Just go ahed, Brentus. It's not as if there were any rules I could enforce anyway.:p

And on a related topic, since there are many late comers that cannot even be deterred by the fact that they are out of competition:
    What do you think about an annual challenge? Would you do it again? (You drop-outs, I'm asking you, too!)

Me, I can't think that far ahead, and right now, I certainly have no idea for another diary. Since I'll have the indexing ingrained by the end of the year, I might just go on doing that.

22. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005

It has taken forever to answer this question because I had to go back and remember what brought about the idea for the diary. There were stories and plot bunnies about someone being trapped in their mind because of an injury going around the board. So I borrowed the idea and added my own twist. Taryn and Moth are characters from my other stories but Taryn was not a Jedi and the time frame was Yoda's youth in the other stories. The diary is set when Qui-Gon was a young night.

I knew Taryn and Zenella were the same person with split personality from the start and even wrote the tada moment before the first post.I am now in uncharted waters so who knows where it will go from here.

you still writing as inteneded, or did you just go off an tangent?

I started it as a serious piece as apposed to my other writing which were humor but my humorous side took over. Also the character went off on a tangent this week when she discovered a Sith personality in the mix, that was definitely a tangent.

Will I do it again next year?

It's not even half way through this year so I will have to wait and see if I still have readers after a year of plot twist and turns. It is taxing on my muse.

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Yeah, I'd do it. It's fun to get into the heads of the characters... and it causes more plot bunnies to wiggle their ears at me. :p

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Would I do it again? I don't know. It depends on how many WIPs I have, how many APs I have, and how much time I have between the two. If I had been smart I wouldn't have started this one because I didn't actually have the time to commit to it. Maybe if it was started in the summer rather than the winter it would be different.

25. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    What do you think about an annual challenge? Would you do it again?

Okay, I'm going to be brutally honest and say there is absolutely NO WAY I will ever sign up for an annual challenge again!

And I made the mistake of choosing to update weekly so my diary challenge entry has taken over my ff life. I have so many WIP that aren't getting the attention they need, plus I had to drop out of a quote challenge I signed up for and I HATE doing that.

But I'll see this through to the end and in the process take with me a valuable lesson. *sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.