main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2016|December discussion and mini-challenge now up

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  2. CheckSix

CheckSix Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    I'm quite excited about it. I think it will be great fun and hopefully interesting reading.

Chyntuck and Falcon like this.
  3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Without rules and regulations then it wouldn't be considered a challenge and quickly turn messy.

The rules act as a guideline and nothing more. Each author can do what ever they want in their own diary. I have even bent and broken the rules for authors since I took over as host.

I try to be as flexible as possible within reason. All you have to do is ask.

4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Oh, okay. I didn't realize the rules were just guidelines. :)

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  6. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    JediFalcon is my old account and is now a sock since I switched names and the link goes directly to my current account.

Back in the day I used to be known as JF Falcon or Falc....

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I am stepping in as a mod now because I’ve been asked. Falcon, as host of this challenge, has come to a decision on the matter that most people (including the users it directly affects) are fine with. Since a situation with co-authors could very plausibly come up again, she has decided to outline some simple rules for this year that can be re-evaluated at the end. Heck, at the end of the year, she can simply say “next year there will be only 1 author and 1 character to a diary”.

Yes, to a degree, you can leave “what is considered in the spirit of the DDC” up to the voters for best diary at the end of the year, but as someone who ran awards, you know people often don’t vote for “what technical elements made the most creative story”. People vote for what diary entertained them the most (which for something like this, where the only prize is bragging rights, is fine).

And, as fun as innovation and giving a new spin on an old challenge is, the host is here to make sure the challenge is fair. As a new author, competing in a challenge where I have to write 24 entries whereas someone with a co-author only has to write 12 (a significant advantage when you consider twice the time can be put into each entry), I wouldn’t see that as fair.

Basically, there’s a difference between being unorthodox and being unfair.

However, yes, the rules in the first post could use some rewriting and clarification. But this is not the awards. It does not have the same scope, so a volunteer to double check votes isn't needed.

Falcon and Nyota's Heart like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I am sorry. I apologise for being a ballast. :(

9. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
  10. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    CheckSix has had her first entry posted in The Face Behind the Helmet's thread.

From now on all the posts will include both entries to keep things simple.

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm sorry I haven't started reading everyone's new diaries yet btw, I'm still playing catch-up on the 2015 ones before I send in my vote.

Falcon Can you please specify the exact deadline?

12. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Jan 15th, it's specified in the first post o_O

13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oops, sorry, I must have missed that. I saw "two weeks" and I wanted to be sure if that means 14 or 15 January.

14. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    maybe the rules could use a bit of tweaking but the 15th is exactly 2 weeks past the 1st on the calendar [face_dunno]

That wasn't apart of the agreement and defeats the purpose of a co-author thread..... It makes it look like you're the only one posting.....

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Falcon, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  16. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
  17. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    First I would like to give the contestants a big round of a hand =D=

We do have a two way tie this year.

Your two winners are

Turn Your Face to the Sun by JadeLotus

The God of Second Chances by divapilot

in Second place

Notes when you are older by Kahara

in Third place

The Chronicles of I-5YQ by Ewok_Slayer

Lets give our winners a big round of applause =D=

Index has been updated. Let me know if I messed up on dates, usernames or titles. Thanks :)

JadeLotus, Kahara, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Congratulations to all the winners! @};- =D= =D= The diaries were a great mix of drama, romance, humor, and action! :cool:

19. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Don't worry about it. I'm not going to sweat over a day late ;)

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Congratulations, divapilot, JadeLotus and Kahara - enjoyed every single word of those three diaries, they're a class of their own. :)

21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats to the winners and to everyone who participated in this challenge last year! It was an amazing collection of diaries, and someday I'll get around to commenting on each one of them... someday. =D=

22. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Congrats to JadeLotus, divapilot, and Ewok_Slayer -- wonderful job, all of you! I too still need to catch up with some of these, but I've read enough to know they were fantastic. =D=

And thanks so much to everyone who voted for Notes and/or encouraged me to finish out the year! [:D]

Falcon, JadeLotus, divapilot and 2 others like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Regarding the challenge - both chapters I've written so far and the next couple of them are responding to the "New starts" theme, so I guess I'm already done.

24. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Congratulations to all the winners. =D= I want to thank everybody who voted for my Droid/Zabrak love story. :D I wasn't sure what type of reaction I would get when writing such an unusual couple, but I was happy by the overwhelming positive response.

I am thrilled at a third place position in such a field of great diaries. Thanks! [:D]

25. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    New entries in the 501st Journal from myself and CheckSix

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.