main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2017 | 11/30: 2018 Challenge Discussion Now Open

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 3, 2016.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ewok Poet, Carlos Danger and Kahara like this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hooray! Congratulations to the winners on some mighty fine work. =D=

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Carlos Danger like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Wow! I can't even. [face_blush]

Thanks for all your congrats and congrats to Carlos Danger (the one here, not the politician's alias), too. :)

Kahara likes this.
  4. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    I would like to post a diary for the 2017 challenge.
    Before the Saga Yoda in Training A young Yoda Diary

Thank you for all your hard work.

Did I post at the wrong time or place?

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  5. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Lea-El: You posted in the right place! Just remember to send PM's when you update. :)

Findswoman and Lea-El like this.
  6. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    January 2017 – Discussion and Mini-Challenge

:) Hi, this is Kahara with your prompt and discussion for the month. Sorry for being so late with them!

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Discussion: Home is... where, exactly?

Although fewer stories (fewer, not none) revolve around characters who spend their entire lives in one place, "home" is often an important concept. Some characters can never go home again. Some never had a home. Some can't wait to leave. And some find that home is more a series of places than a fixed point. Tell us about your character's homes -- the places they grew up, the places that are special to them, and/or the places that they have built for themselves.

Mini-Challenge: From a Certain Point of View

Incorporate at least one thing that your character believes without a doubt, that other characters see as nonsense.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

I love this discussion. My family has always said 'home is where your stuff is', because it's okay to call someplace other than where you grew up, home.(This came about when I accidently said I was going home when I was going back to college and I felt terrible about it.) Though I still do call where I grew up home as well. ;)

As for my character (I'm going with the 10 year old version), Leo lives in Washington, D.C. He considers home to be wherever his family is, which isn't just people related to him by blood. This includes the home he lives in with his parents and his brother and sister, the residence of The White House (his 'uncle' is President), and the New Hampshire home of the former President of the United States. His family is pretty famous, especially in D.C., so he's the most comfortable when he is with them and away from the public eye.

One of the places that is special to him is his dad's office. His dad has to work a lot, but always tries to make time for Leo, so he spends a lot of time in that office. He loves it because his dad's assistant is kinda strange but a lot of fun, and he gets to spend alone time with his dad. They work on homework, and he sometimes gets to help his dad with things.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Doria would probably have more than one answer to this. She's that kind of a complicated being. There's the "home" that you're bond to by birth and that would be the Northern Saccorata district (NorSacc), the last high rise, across the lane from the House R'vanye. That's where grandma Yola and grandpa Kambaas lived and where mom Maris was born, that's where dad Elesandre moved in, that's where she was born, too. That's where she spends most of her time.

Then there is the hypothetical "home" that kind of never existed. A place and surroundings where she could be herself. Unlike most Sacorrians, she is aware that something about the way she lives is not quite right, but still not aware enough to actually figure it out.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  9. Volund Starfire

Volund Starfire Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Excerpt from Alliance Intelligence Recruiting Division interview
    Subject: Ander Sonalex, Defecting Imperial Pilot

Questioner: Home is... where, exactly?

Subject: I was born about a year before the Clone Wars broke out. It was on the planet Ukio, an agroplanet in the Abrion Sector. My parents moved there shortly before I was born because of my dad’s idea for streamlining the agriculture collection process for shipping across the Republic. Nobody knew why he was initially sent there, but it later came out because of a decade-old contract that Kamino had with the Republic for the clone army.

The agro-hub that my father designed was huge. It took up about three square kilometers and had its own starport attached to it. There was constant traffic coming in and going out. From above, it looked like an eight-sided star with hovertrain tracks shooting out from the points to smaller hubs across the planet. The inside was mostly droid-controlled, but there were human overseers and Ukian laborers to make sure things ran smoothly.

Our house was located on a raised spire in the very center of the hub. I’ve learned that it was luxurious compared to most Outer Rim standards. We had servant droids, but also a couple of live servants that helped out, in addition to my dad’s assistants and staff. Because of the height of our home, my parents had airspeeders rather than landspeeders like almost everyone else on the planet.

The top floor was off-limits to me for as long as I can remember, because it was my dad’s office and the primary oversight system for the entire planet’s agro-chain. I was only allowed in with my father. His office was huge and raised above the rest of the floor. You could see the curve of the planet from the windows. The rest of the floor looked like a cross between an office and a starship operations room.

The second level contained the living suites for our family. There were a number of guest suites that I remember senators and officers using when they came to inspect the operations. The most memorable was Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan. He had a little girl with him that was really inquisitive, it happened not long before I left for the Academy.

The third level was the family area and where my parents entertained guests. I remember how proud I was wearing my Youth Cadet uniform when my parents entertained Imperial officers and dignitaries, even though it angered my father to no end. I was proud of it, back before I learned the truth.

The fourth level was the garage where the airspeeders were kept. It also housed by father’s private shuttle that he used whenever he had to go see the Sector Governor or to Coruscant. It only took up a third of the floor, though, with the other two-thirds set aside for the airspeeders of my father’s staff and the agrohub fleet.

The lowest two levels of the house were the various apartments for my father’s staff. I only went to one for a celebration of one of my friends from the Junior Academy whose parents were on my father’s staff. They were small, about the size of my parent’s room, but were also richly decorated and warm (which was quite unlike my father’s ideal of spartan luxury).

That’s about all I can say, really. The hub was located about a hundred kilometers from the capitol Sashasa, which is where the Junior Academy was located. There weren’t really any other cities on the planet, just the smaller hubs of the agro network. Everywhere else were the farming communities of the Ukians.

Though, there was a set of ruins that my mom forbade me from visiting. So, I visited them quite often. I later learned that it was the Jedi Agricorps settlement. It was mostly destroyed, but there were some things I found that were kind of cool. One of the things was a broken lightsaber. It was only half of a lightsaber, though. It was cleanly cut in half in such a way to expose everything inside of it. I dismantled it completely in my room and was able to pull the crystal out of it. I still have it with me, one of the only things from home that I ever kept.

That’s about all I can tell you about my home. What’s your next question?

Kahara likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010

Oh! Interesting! I actually deal with this idea over a couple early entries

Home for me was always the classic "where you lay your head". I think Donna Moss might be similar. She is the much more "established character" between my two narrators, but we still really didn't get to see where home was for her. There was the whole "changing of the boarders" fiasco for the whole "Donna was really born in Canada" plot of one episode. In the show, I think it was "home is simply not work". However, in my diary, we see her acquire a new home literally and perhaps figuratively. Perhaps I'll also have her "go home" to Wisconsin.

For Helen, the idea of home is much more complex. In the show we saw her really struggle with the idea of living in the White House, and that idea continues in my diary, She says in an entry already posted
    Due to security reasons (touched on in the show and something I plan on developing) the family can't really return home to their house in Texas. But I'm not sure, for Helen, Texas was home either. I had her move from Canada when she was 13, something I think would have REALLY PISSED OFF ANY TEENAGER, and I'll hint that perhaps, before Matt, she intended on going back to Canada. But maybe Canada was never her home either.

I think both my characters consider/will consider "home" as being with the people that you love.

Also, interesting mini challenge. I'm not sure I'll get in anywhere really explicitly this year, but a couple years ago I played around with the "unreliable/VERY biased author" for a diary. It was so much fun. I usually tend to write diaries from the POV of strong women who may think a bit highly of themselves, so when it comes to recording thoughts about themselves, they will do so in usually a positive light.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

For Linza home is where her family is. Sitting around the fireplace surrounded by her siblings, retelling the stories their grandfather used to tell them before he succumbed to the cancer that ate him from the inside out while they play with the hunds and pakas while Mother watches and Father sharpens some of his tools. Grandmother even shares stories from her childhood as she knits in her rocker, how she once tracked three miles through heavy snowfall to get help for her brother after he fell from the barn loft. The retelling of Grandfather's stories are the best, he used to be a Shaman that traveled to many different places before he fell in love with the young woman that asked the best kind of questions and didn't believe in blindly following the Elders and Shamans and wasn't enamored by the fact he had traveled to many far away places; the shadows from the flickering fire and lamps enhance the stories and add an air of mystery.

David thinks of home either on Bosta, in the house he grew up in on a nice street or in the barracks both on Bosta on on the worlds his group is assigned to which while cold and impersonal have become home since he enlisted in Bosta's military; but he does keep a holo of his family beside his bed.

Kahara likes this.
  12. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
  13. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Hi, Lea-El! Normally we encourage everyone to post a link in the thread only once when they start their diary. (Which I believe you already did?)

Can you PM your updates to the sock instead?

Thank you. :)

Lea-El likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004

For Talon Tantiss, home is where his wife is. He did call the Jedi Temple on Corsucant home until he got married. Since his wife is a trader he is now a roving Jedi living on a cargo freighter. He wants to settle down and move to Indupar where his son lives (the mother was an old flame). He wants to be around his son. He can't really have frequent visitation if he is not on planet. I suspect that is where he and his wife will eventually end up.

divapilot and Kahara like this.
  15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    For Kash, home is on a large collective farm on the planet Salliche, where he arrived after failing his Jedi trials. As much as he resents being there, it is safe and comfortable, and he has people there who care about him. Kash doesn't know where he was born - he was brought to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant when he was a baby. The Jedi Temple became his home for his childhood, up to age 13. He was assigned to a grain farm on Salliche, where he and the other Agricorps teenagers learn to adjust to a more pastoral life and try to reconcile their dreams of adventure as Jedi Knights with the reality of being in the service corps.

Ewok Poet, Kahara and leiamoody like this.
  16. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    so i'm hoping that it's not too late to start doing this... if tis, then let me know. i might go with it anyway, even if out of the competition.

17. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    A Blind Prophet, it's not too late. You just need to get started by the end of Jan 31st.

18. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i think i can probably manage that. just have to decide what of a couple ideas i want to do, exactly.

Kahara likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If you want to brainstorm, we're here. :)

Kahara likes this.
  20. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i'm actually seriously considering doing my OC from the RPF's diary. already know how it would end at the end of the year, and by then more would have happened so i could just continue it if i wanted to. tis a thought.

that or i'll go back to something i tried to do like eight years ago. i've always wanted to do a han solo mental type of diary through the entirety of ESB. got a little ways into it back then and just kinda disappeared from the boards due to school.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Here's something I just *had* to start. I don't expect it to go to the great lengths like my SW DDCs do, but I wanted to try myself out at something different.

[Faraway, So Close!] Watching You Watching Me - this is the diary of the little girl from the 1993 Wim Wenders masterpiece of cinema. Her name is - coincidentally - Doria, just like my other diarist's. And this is how I imagined her future in 2016. Both diaries have the same premise - death of the protagonist's father, but other than that and the protagonist's name, they won't have anything in common...

...that is not a cheesy meta reference. :D

Anyway, both January entries are already there.

23. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    and i decided to do a second diary as well (assuming that's allowed, if not ignore this). it's a look at the year the rebels were on hoth through the eyes of han solo: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...solo-pre-esb-canonish.50044051/#post-54112740

guess i get to start out in the hole with this one, given that updating a fic the day that you post it seems a little silly, but i shouldn't have any problem getting three posts up next month.

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  24. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    A Blind Prophet, it is allowed. We had at least one person finish two diaries last year. :) No worries!

25. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    okay, cool. i thought that might be the case, since i know i started doing two back in... 2009.

Kahara likes this.