Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2017 | New Discussion & Mini Challenge 9/29

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 3, 2016.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master

star 2
    August 2017—Discussion and Mini-Challenge

Here are some last-minute items for August, provided by Kahara.

Discussion: Time Travel

If your character could time travel to anywhere, any time in the history of the galaxy, where would they go? Assuming that they were willing to jump in a time machine... ;)

Mini Challenge: Mysterious Objects

Your character finds something they don't recognize. Explore how your character reacts to this find, whether they investigate it or not.
    Last edited by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Aug 27, 2017
  2. Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Discussion: Time Travel Ah, Linza might go back eight hundred years ago so she could see the events of the War of the Stars. David on the other hand is a little tricky. There are several time periods he would love to visit but he'd be worried about accidentally changing the Past and maybe wiping out a huge chunk of history.

Mini Challenge: Mysterious Object This might be easier than I originally thought but a lot of my fic is centered on mysterious objects. Hm.
    Kahara likes this.
  3. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    List of OCs

Lintai Skywalker: Taking the time machine to the time before the Killik mission. Around 30 ABY
    Xin Skywalker: Same
    Honor Tur-Hazy: Take the machine to 26 ABY to Chusan X to stop Jedi Academy massacre.
    Nisha Windrider: Take the machine to the the Flagship of Grand Admiral Sloane and kill Snoke.
    Kebin Windrider: Take the machine to 9 ABY, the Stardestroyer Murderer, to save his sister from the Jedi
    Show Spoiler
    His sister is alive, and his fiancee, the Snoke agent Lael, (Is Lael her real name?) lied to him

Daire Dhu: Take the machine to 1000 ABY to Syned and wake herself up.
    Haster Zhor: Take the machine to 1000 ABY to Ruusan to fight the Jedi.
    Lady Lees Azedio: to 27 ABY Corulag prison, break herself out, and start smuggling to make profits. The take the machine to Naboo where she runs her own bounty hunter agency.
    et al.

Too long, didn't read: Get the machine and start correcting past wrongs, and then start enjoy life. Maybe.
    Kahara likes this.
  4. Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master

star 2
    September 2017—Discussion and Mini-Challenge

Here at the penultimate minute of the month, and presented by Pandora.

Discussion: Changes

Change. As a certain wise woman once said, you can no more stop it than you can stop the suns from setting. At this point, your narrator has no doubt experienced changes in their life—both minor and significant, and for the better, and for the worse. (And after all, change is generally considered necessary for good fiction.) Let’s talk about them.

Mini-Challenge: “Unleaving”

Your narrator is grieving/over Goldengrove unleaving. Literally or figuratively.
    Findswoman likes this.
  5. Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well Linza learned that there is life in the galaxy and is adjusting to all sorts of new revelations (she also thinks the first alien she met is hot). ;)

David is going to break a few laws to get Linza to Coruscant; something he would never do but it is the right thing to do.
  6. Jedi_Lover Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think Talon Tantiss' greatest changes involved the women he loved. He fathered a child with one woman who hid the pregnancy from him until two years later when he discovered the truth. He also married Karrde's daughter Zylie which probably surprised him more than anything since they were both at each other's throats as children.

The biggest anticipated change for him should happen this year. He will find out the truth about everything that was hidden from him and afterwards he will be given two changes that he had hoped for, but never thought he would acquire.
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    So... @Diary_Challenge_Sock, @Kahara, @Pandora ...and everybody else, really.

It's November 09th and I have ten entries to post until the end of the year. How would you go on about that, if you were me? I don't want to lose readers.
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  8. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    There's what, 8 weeks left in the year? 1 update a week, plus a bonus one for the 31st, then you either post 2 updates together (something I'm going to be doing since my update schedule kinda got messed up, but I have an update that is only 400 words so it works) or do a random bonus update.

Also, off topic, someone remind me to write up my thoughts on the whole multi-character narrator rules that we tried out this year.
    Last edited by Briannakin, Nov 8, 2017
    Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  9. Kahara Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    @Ewok Poet, making a few extra posts towards the end seems unlikely to be a problem -- at least, it wouldn't bother me. :)
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    I guess I have to get off my butt (huh-huh, she said "butt") and get down on it, then...
    Kahara likes this.
  11. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Okay, now that I have a minute (and I hope this isn’t too early to give my final thoughts on this experiment) here are my thoughts on the multi-narrator rules that we introduced this year. I think they should remain as is. First, it is completely do-able to write 48 entries in a year. The first few weeks are a bit scary, but if you have enough material, you can do it. I feel like part of the original spirit of this challenge is to write 24 “updates” from a single character’s POV and the updated rules still apply. I could have put my two diaries in two different threads, but that just would have been a headache for me and my readers.

Overall, as someone who has done this challenge 6 times now (and the 2 years I failed were mainly a result of outside events), it’s nice to have a bit of a change and a bit more of a challenge if I wanted it. Will I ever attempt a multi-narrated diary again? Maybe. I’m a bit of a sucker for the DDC. My muse kinda wants me to do something similar for my 2018 diary using 2 OCs. My muse also gave me the idea for a 4-person narrative DDC using 4 OCs (over like a 20 year timeframe). I am tempted to do it, but I also want to live to see 2019, so it isn't happening.
    Kahara likes this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade