main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Death by Force Choke? - Could Padmé been saved?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There is absolutely nothing that even hints at that. Nothing even suggest that being "exposed" to the dark side has any influence whatsoever. Unlike the explanation given in the movie, which tells you directly what actually happened.
    You do not leave the explanation for a very important plot point completely unmentioned, which is exactly what your idea does. You might as well come up with the idea that the first Death Star didn't explode because of what Luke did, but because it felt sad and thus killed itself. The movie doesn't make that idea impossible, but it does show you the actual explanation, meaning this rather outlandish idea is quite clearly not the real one.

What does your last point have to do with the rest anyway?
    The force reacts to being out of balance. That has nothing to do with what a person using the force can do to another.

There simply is no reason to try and make up one outlandish idea of what might have happened after another, if the movie clearly states what happened. It seems like some people just can't take the obvious solution and need to have a convoluted explanation for everything.

2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I meant that there may be some vague Force connection between her and Anakin that could've had an adverse effect on her. Not an idea I cling to, just a theory. And come now, is this idea really that outlandish in the SW universe? This is exactly why I brought up that last point, to show that there's certainly precedent for crazy and random Force-triggered events. And it being out of balance so much because of the rise of the Sith maybe could've had an effect on Padme, as she's essentially facing it point-blank from Anakin. And people often 'can't take the obvious solution' because even in the film, it's not like the medical droids appeared to be 100% confident in their diagnosis.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I always figured that because she was choked throught The Force, the effects of the choke couldn't be detected medically. After all, The Force isn't exactly scientifically explainable.

Anyway, Robot Chicken should have Vader sue the medical droids for malpractice.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  4. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    I like the theory that Padme died because Palpatine drained her life force to save Anakin. It also makes sense since Vader immediately died when Palpatine died. In Return of the Jedi, you could sense that Vader wanted to come back to the light with Luke but couldn't because he was bound to Palpatine. Vader could not live without Palpatine keeping him alive through the force.

5. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Palpatine draining her life force is even more far-fetched than some other theories posted on here. At the end of the day, despite the speculation and various theories posted by myself and others, I think we just have to accept what's shown in the film and not read too much into it, even though many don't like the 'dying of a broken heart' bit.

As for that last point, there was no evidence whatsoever that Palpatine was keeping him alive through use of the force. Vader survived because he used his rage and the power of the dark side to cling to life.

6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    She lost the will to live. It happens in real life too.

7. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    This thing,with the cause of Padme's death is just another thing,
    that Lucas left very unclear.
    George Lucas do not show if Padme recovered after she was strangulated
    but we know she was still alive,according to what Darth Vader says and according
    to what the movie shows and what the script says.
    All we know is that Padme is carried on the board of the ship by C3PO and R2-D2.
    And after Obi Wan defeats Anakin,he goes on the board of the ship.
    Now,Padme is opening her eyes and asks:
    "PADME lies on a cot or bed inside the ship. OBI-WAN walks over and checks on her.

PADME: Obi-Wan? Is Anakin all right?
    OBI-WAN looks at her sadly and does not answer."

Later while Padme is giving birth,we hear from the medical unit,that Padme is perfectly healthy,
    but for unknow reasons,she is dieing.
    "MEDICAL DROID: Medically, she is completely healthy. For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her.

OBI-WAN: She's dying?

MEDICAL DROID: We don't know why. She has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies. "
    This does not looks to me like she dies because of the Force choke strangulation.
    The effect of the Force choke made by her husband was that it broke her heart.
    She can not believes that her husband wanted to kill her. I guess this is why she dies; or maybe because she understands from the silence of Obi Wan that Anakin was killed.

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Death by Force Choke? - Could Padmé been saved?
    As Seagoat originally replied, the force choke really had nothing to do with it....atleast not physically. Sure, people do die from being force choked, and people live afterwards as we see in ANH, the windpipe can be easily crushed with the force. But, that wasn't how Padme died. Padme died due to losing the will to live/ a broken heart, as is stated by the Med droid on Polis Massa.

I mean, technically, Anakin force choking her kinda pushes her to the edge knowing she couldn't save him, I guess.... but I think really she died because she knew her fate if she lived. Vader would hunt her down and keep her almost as a prisoner by his side, and she would actively be taking part in the destruction of democracy. That is, if Sidious didn't kill her immediately. I think she knew redeeming Anakin was now her children's job, and she would be able to protect them better if she was gone.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  9. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Sure, I think she could have lived. I don't think those alien robot doctors were very good with human births. If a clown had been ordered, he could have cheered her up.

DARTHLINK likes this.
  10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Do you want Padme to die in blood-curdling terror?

<PENNYWISE THE CLOWN enters>

PENNYWISE THE CLOWN: <releases balloons> A-HA! A-HA! A-HA! A-HA! A-HA!

PADME AMIDALA: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!! <dies>

YODA: Get in here, how did he?

KenW likes this.
  11. DarthVaderfan1889

DarthVaderfan1889 Jedi Knight

Oct 20, 2015
    Maybe she died giving birth?

KenW likes this.
  12. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    One thing to keep in mind - again, just a reaching theory, speculation here - is that the Polis Massans were treating her. And considering they certainly weren't human, it's possible their medical equipment would not be able to accurately diagnose a human with medical issues. For instance, perhaps her trachea and windpipe was partially crushed due to the Force Choke, and the equipment they had wasn't able to properly diagnosis this, since it's not calibrated for human beings? Therefore to them, Padme was medically healthy,even though there was an underlying issue they could not detect.

KenW, mes520 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    Glad this was posted. I read it awhile back and thought it was the best thing ever but then i lost the link.

It needs shared and shared till everyone who doesn't like how she died has read it

mes520 likes this.
  14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I have always interpreted it as Vader force choke/Palpatine killed her from afar combo, even as a kid first time watching it. I never took "giving up the will to live" crap in my head-canon. I thought the medical droids were simply confused by force-powered foul play.

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    if it was because of the force choke she wouldn't have lived long enough to travel that far to give birth. that was a long time after the force choke.

16. Darth Mikey

Sep 7, 2015

Actually, she could. If she wasn't getting enough oxygen. If her windpipe/trachea was partially crushed, she would still be getting some oxygen, but not enough to sustain her. She could live for quite a bit, hours, even,maybe days, but her functions and stats would start gradually going down, and she could lapse in and out of consciousness.

And I know this happens for a fact, firsthand. My father died last week from basically a lack of oxygen, as he didn't want to be on a machine anymore. His trachea wasn't crushed or anything, but without artificial means he was able to breathe, but his lungs were not getting enough oxygen to have his body function properly. His blood pressure and vital stats slowly dropped, and he slept most of the time, with occasional moments of clarity. This went on for a day and a half before he died.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    she died because she lost the will to live. the movie even makes sure to tell us this.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That diagnosis came from a droid though.

Doesn't mean they're right. "Lost the will to live" may be a catchall for when they have no idea of the true cause.

Shaak Ti, Darth Mikey and KenW like this.
  19. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    [​IMG]

Deliveranze and DARTHLINK like this.
  20. Darth Mikey

Sep 7, 2015

And a droid that likely never worked on a human before, and possibly never had the proper files and was not calibrated to working on a human. I could be wrong, been a LONG time since I read it, but I think the novelization said the 2 droids used in the movie were actually mining droids pressed into service due to Padme's condition?

Actually, here's the Wookiepedia entry on all of this:

However, the available obstetricians were mostly members of an archaeological dig team,[39] with only two of them being seasoned physicians; the others were exobiologists.[8] Amidala's condition was so severe that they had no time to look for more prepared doctors. The doctors even had to operate in their mining bodysuits, not having a minute to change clothes. The Kallidahin who treated her were Maneeli Tuun, Dznori Xam and Selif Xam, with the added presence of Osh Scal,[8] a non-medic supply officer.[3]
    Recognizing their unfamiliarity with Human parturition, the Kallidahin consulted their databank and resorted to a Chiewab Amalgamated[15] GH-7 medical diagnosis droid, an advanced droid[8] of which they had several units,[15] to deal with Amidala's injuries; and a seldom-used[15] Chroon-Tan B-Machine to help with the childbearing.[8]

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    this is the reason that gl gives us. if he wanted to be more specific he would have. it's what happens in myth. just like virgin births, prophecies and making a vision come true by trying to stop it. dying of grief or a broken heart is also one of these mythological motifs.

KenW likes this.
  22. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Padme's death is a reuse of a rejected plot point from the early drafts of ANH.

I think Padme had fatal "spiritual wounds" that medical sicence treat, especially by droids.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  23. Hethna

Hethna Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2015
    i think she was very weak after he force choked her and she didn't have the right amount of strength to give birth and OR maybe because she's giving birth to twins (that's hard), it's not odd for someone to die in childbirth

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    oh, no...not more of this Palpatine ("the all powerful") killed Padme/Shmi/sent images nonsense :(

Deliveranze likes this.
  25. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Nope. Maybe if Anakin didn't join the dark side. That set the perpetual moments that led to her death.