Death of the flesh

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by El_Hober, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El_Hober Jedi Padawan

I wanted to do a photomanipulation piece illustrating the way internet culture is affecting human interaction. The level of flesh interaction has greatly decreased as a result of the internet, even voices have become less used. I tried to show a beautiful face being converted into circuitry and bone by the dehumanizing process of internet culture.

and now, here it is:
    [image=http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/greentinted_1/21.jpg]
    also check it out on my art site
  2. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That is a truly interesting piece of work.
    I've got a few questions for you, though:
    1) What software did you use to create this work?
    2) Who was the lady in the piece?
    3) What brought the inspiration to you to do this piece?
    I really enjoy this work. I love how it shows that computers are slowly taking over our interactions with the physical world (I just had a discussion about this with my signifigant other a while ago). Very nice piece. :)
  3. El_Hober Jedi Padawan

I used photoshop 7
    I don't know who she is, or where the inspiration came from, but it came...
  4. Skeleton_82 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I find the inspiration behind this piece fascinating, and its something that I've thought about myself, especially recently.

I, personally, have come to believe it comes a lot from the way people can control their environments to a greater degree on the net. They can be any person they wish without having to worry about the consequences of their actions to the same degree that would have to off the net.

But where does this stop? A related link would be this, something that would further intensify the situation. With technology like this, long distance relationships could be as easy as relationships with people off the net. With things like this in place, people could live almost their entire lives on the net.
  5. El_Hober Jedi Padawan

I wonder why people have been thinking about this lately. A mega-meme perhaps?

But back on topic, the implications of the internet touch are kind of scary. People could easily go their entire lives without making physical contact. I remember I read an article somewhere about how some scientists took a monkey and raised it with a wire mesh that had a milk dispenser. When they put the grown monkey with a female, it didn't know how to have sex, it couldn't even get the right hole (I hate to sound vulgar, but that's how it was). Could this be the reason for the death of humans?

In the words of Seth Grundle in The Fly:
    That's why old ladies pinch babies' cheeks. It's the flesh?it just makes you crazy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.