main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Death Star 2

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've always seen at least in Palpatine's mind (And i believe i've read this somewhere though i may be wrong it was a long time ago) that Palpatine's end goal was to have a Death Star in every system, not just one (Though now that i think about it that might have been the concept of a Fan film so...yeah don't take me seriously there) . And why not if the Death Star is a allegory for the nuclear bomb, why have one, why not have several. Of course i've always considered that the construction of Death Star II took less time was because by that time the Technology had been refined to a point where it would be easier to construct such a device. And since the Emperor seems like the kinda guy who money is no object to him, he'd probably just squeeze planets dry of resources if necessary to have a arsenal of Death Stars under his command.

Though i used to jokingly say they took the wreckage of the First Death Star and tried to put some of the peaces back together to make the second :p

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well the big question is could the Empire actually become bankrupt. The EU points to rim worlds being that way while the core is fine which makes sense. Also the advancement of technology causing an even bigger DS to be made in 3 years while DS I took 20 is a big leap. The implication that it may have severely hurt the Imperial economy for just the first one leads me to assume that it would get even worse with how much the second one must have costs. That and wouldn't the resources be to exhausted after the first one?

3. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I'm not a Sovietologist, but as I recall, what screwed them in the eighties was the oil market. True, their economy was never the healthiest and their military budget was obscene, but oil was their biggest source of revenue and IIRC it was no longer bringing in the cash they needed in the eighties. Largely because the Saudis were flooding the market with cheap oil.

And yes, that comment from Pelly seems nonsensical. I assume that, in-universe, it was just hyperbole somehow. Either that or maybe the Empire was going through a rough budgetary patch at the time, so rough that even the construction of one additional ship was straining its resources, but that's hard to imagine.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Quick-fix: it nearly bankrupted the appropriated Imperial Navy budget. And let's count R&D in that, because that's where the real money goes. It also explains how it's just the Executor that did it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

jSarek and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
  6. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Do we know that the thing at the end of ROTS actually is THE Death Star? And not some prototype? I'm not sure I have ever seen a confirmation of that

7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Seems it: http://www.starwars.com/databank/death-star

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Not to mention that the DVD commentary was pretty unambiguous about that.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also that's how movies work.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Grey1 and jSarek like this.
  10. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I don't think the Imperial/Republic Credit is fiat, simply because its noted in several sources that the resources of the InterGalactic Banking Clan help supply it and the numerous other currencies in the Galaxy. This seems to mean that the Imperial Credit is backed by resources.

As for bankruptcy, I find it hard to believe that the Galactic Empire could ever go bankrupt. It's a galaxy-spanning empire. Even sector-spanning powers like the Hapes Consortium, Corporate Sector and Bothan Space make the USA and Russia look like Lichtenstein and Hong Kong in terms of size and resources accessible to them.

11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Bothan space was independent? I don't remember that.

12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    It's one of the Allied Regions, so its varied from independent to autonomous.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

Trip likes this.
  14. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The ship in ROTS isn't the Tantive IV, since that shows up in TCW and ANH looking exactly the same, though.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, that's the point I'm making.

16. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Oh, I thought you were pointing to how a slightly similar ship in ROTS was the exact same in ANH.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but that's them breaking the rule because of a TCW retcon that is not going to be apparent at all to the viewers.

Retcons are bad.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Weren't there people complaining loudly that it was a mistake to have the ROTS novel (and possibly other tie-ins) call the ship the Tantive IV, because it was so different (albeit subtly) from the ANH one?

As such, the retcon that it was a different ship after all, might have been greeted with delight by those people.

19. Padawan Kenobi

Padawan Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2016
    My problem lies with the kyber crystals. For the first death star they were being hauled as far as clone wars (Crystal crisis on Utapau) and were still being delivered a few years before Yavin (that Rebels episode). So how and where did the Empire get enough crystals for another DS in such a short time?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They found the Ilum system, with planetary bodies full of crystals?

Might also explain where the Starkiller came from - they took one of the minor planets in that system and started transforming it into a superweapon.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Presumably the same people who want every variation in comic art to be a new class of Star Destroyer, yes. :p

WMIRTUTSF and Sarge like this.
  22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I, for one, think it's perfectly right that the blockade runner in ROTS isn't the Tantive IV. And I don't think retcons are inherently bad, far from it.

Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Witness my surprise :p

24. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
  25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    According to the ROTS DVD commentary track, John Knoll (iirc) said it was meant to be a different model, but "obviously from the same factory".

Iron_lord likes this.