main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Death Star and Superweapons

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We see it used to enhance healing - massively - but not telekinesis.

The one in SoTME is called a "kaiburr crystal" - however the variant "kyber crystal" went on to be used in TCW as the name for standard lightsaber crystals.

Ryus likes this.
  2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I remembered Splinter incorrectly so - I thought it boosted all Force abilities (the more powerful the Force user, the more the crystal increased the level) - I thought that was how Luke was able to survive his duel against Vader :)

Are the kyber sabre crystals written out of canon now? Did TCW rename them Illum crystals?

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope - it's the other way round - TCW renamed Ilum crystals Kyber crystals.

We don't see it used for other things - that doesn't mean it can't be used for other things. Still, Pomojema is portrayed as a god of healing - with the implication being that healing is the crystal's best thing.

It was hinted that Obi-Wan "guided" Luke during that fight - which is why Luke whispers "I'm Ben Kenobi" for a moment. I think of it as a bit like when Luke guides Jacen in the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

In TESB Vader says "Obi-Wan can no longer help him" - maybe suggesting Vader remembers Obi-Wan helping Luke at least once.

4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think the whole father/son thing played a big part.

5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    So what are Adegan crystals?

Okies, I'm remembering it all wrong :) - this mist be related to to the abandoned idea of Kenobi manifesting in a physical form to help Luke in the RotJ duel.

That was because he thought he had killed Kenobi on the Death Star - he didn't know Obi-Wan was back.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm not so lazy that I wouldn't try to solve my confusion first ;)

It was this very article and your earlier statement about the renaming that confounded me - which crystal is the lightsabre crystal? Do they all still exist in the canon?

8. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    For some reason I've always had this feeling that super weapons, in particular the Death Star laser, would be at the heart of the Sequel Trilogy. I imagined this fractured galaxy, (not a New Republic) which is in a state of Cold War, Sort of like the Cuban Nuclear Missile crisis, but with Death Star lasers! I imagined the Imperial Remnant was not the only one possessing the technology, there are multiple systems that have armed themselves with the ultimate weapon in an attempt to retain their freedom and deter any would be invaders.

Dra--- and LottDodd like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ilum crystals are now called Kyber crystals. Adega doesn't currently have "canon" references to it.

Dak Oolron and Hoggsquattle like this.
  10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Thank you :)

11. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    [​IMG]
    "Esta es el arma definitiva!"

I know likes this.
  12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    At the end of RotS, Vader and Paplatine are looking out at the two Death Stars.

Does the novelisation specify when this occurs?

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I thought there was just one Death star at the end of ROTS.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Eh?

There's only one skeletal Death Star in the novel and only one in the movie, where is there two Death Stars or are you mixing up with the original ROTJ script draft?

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Dak Oolron like this.
  15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

No, I'm remembering RotS wrong so - I could have sworn there was two. :)

Anyway, does the novelisation say when it occurs - is it months or years after Mustafar?

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It doesn't say - but the EU goes with "weeks at most".

17. Carrie1138

Carrie1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2014
    The scene comes before baby Luke and Leia arriving at their new homes, so it can't be long.

18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Okay, that is the kind of information I'm looking for.

So, assuming Palpatine had started construction on the Death Star when Dooku brought him the plans, that is three years - it seems like a lot of work was already done - how come it took 20 years to complete?

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I have two theories:

1. Palpatine hid it until he no longer felt dependent on the Senate.
    2. There were multiple Death Stars in construction and resources were split between them.

20. Carrie1138

Carrie1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2014
    That's one of the things that's always bugged me about that scene. It doesn't make sense for construction to have been that advanced at that stage. If it had been the last scene of the movie, at least you could theorise it took place months or even years later.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Maybe the Tarkin and Lords of the Sith novels will explain it :)

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Probably. It wouldn't be a decent Tarkin story without referencing the death star at some point.;)

Hogsquattle likes this.
  23. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Ok there may be a topic on this somewhere on here already. But what if The Emporer was building the Death Star to have a weapon capable of defeating some power we will see in Episode 7?

It will tie the saga together and maybe make give the Emporer more depth than just being an evil sith lord. Does anyone believe the Death Star could be referenced in Ep7 like this?

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  24. Darth Lurker

Darth Lurker Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2014
    I read a fan theory on Facebook a couple weeks ago regarding this very topic. Although I don't remember it entirely, it had something to do with the EU Yuuzhan Vong war.

Basically it was the fan's theory that, since the Emperor was pretty good at seeing the future, he was building the DS not to fight the rebels or intimidate star systems, but was building them to fight off the upcoming onslaught of the Vong.

I never read those books so I have zero idea if that makes any sense but... There you go.

EDIT:

Here you go, I found the article.

http://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/zt9l8/the_real_reason_emperor_palpatine_created_the/

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Death Star is the ultimate weapon, the mother of all deterrence against waging war against the Empire.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.