main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Death Star and Superweapons

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Lurker

Darth Lurker Jedi Knight star 1

May 24, 2014
    Sounds good on paper anyway. It didn't quite work out the way they had planned.

2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I supose this could fit well with the rumor that Ep VII would have a planet that acted as a weapon in and of itself that could destroy galaxies.

If you buy the rumor, that is....

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Death Star was already in the works in Rogue Planet, before Palpatine knew of the Vong.

He might have seen them as competition - but he knew all along that he was going to rule, and rule with the threat of force.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

5. MConDA4ever

MConDA4ever Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2014
    ssirf essiehcs dnu brits yensid!!!

From santa with love.

Send from my LG L_40

6. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I briefly thought the above was a clever anagram with a spoiler.

If you really want to know, it reads, words reversed, in German: Eat .... and die Disney.

Echo Base and Dak Oolron like this.
  7. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    My biggest concern with a super weapon is that it must not take us out of the intimate threats...to characters we care about vs something so devastating we cannot process it. Like all of the end of the world movies. Sure, we don't want the world to end, but that mostly means we do not want our friends and families to die. We simply cannot put a world's worth of empathy into our hearts (at least I cannot). So, if they have a super weapon, it must be a direct threat to characters we care about...it can affect others but the characters we care about must be a part of it. Oddly enough, the Death Star was never pointed at our main characters or even secondary characters in ROTJ. I honestly did not care, as a 9-year-old, that they blew up the Death Star. All I cared about was Luke defeating Vader and Han and Leia etc were victorious on Endor. ANH had Leia and the droids in jeopardy at the end so that worked.

Also, re: the Force. I think once the Force goes beyond some sort of philosophical model that we can all relate to, and becomes "I can read minds", it starts being magic for the sake of magic. The Force, while not literally "real," has some practical real life application in its metaphor...balance, doing vs trying...not giving into anger etc. Reading minds is just bull****.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  8. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    The super weapon is going to be Megamaid.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    From the rumors I've read, it sounds like its going to be the Sun Crusher:

[​IMG]

10. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

I hope not. I'd rather have something completely new. But if they're going to take something from the EU I'd rather it be the Star Forge. Instead of the super weapon being an actual weapon we'd get a super shipyard that uses the fused energy of a star and the Force to create an endless supply of ships and droids and whatever other materials an empire would need to create an unstoppable war machine. It's not going to happen, but the Star Forge would be cool to see on the big screen.

Redimet and Dak Oolron like this.
  11. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    So would the destruction of an entire Star System or Nebula!

12. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    That could be interesting... seems more compelling than something that just blows everything up...can ramp up tension with that more organically, armies unleashed in intervals and exponentially etc. Protags fumbling, frustrated as all Hell...like herding cats....

13. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    If, on the remote possibility we ever see either yavin 4 or Endor again, I hope there is a metallic debris field like the rings of Saturn surrounding the planet.

(I realize both Yavin 4 and Endor are technically moons)

Sarge and I know like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want a space station that can turn planets into space stations.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  15. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    An unnatural weapon that could destroy life as well as create life ,something along the lines of the Dakara superweapon from SG1 that could destroy and create an entire galaxy could be one way to go.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Trek already did that with the Genesis Device. Not quite on that scale - though the Genesis Wave arc in the Star Trek EU scaled it up from planet-scale to sector-scale.

Sarge likes this.
  17. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I want a weapon that turns everyone in the galaxy into an Ewok.

kubricklynch, darklordoftech and EHT like this.
  18. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I would be okay with another Death Star under one condition:

The faction that ends up being the result of the Rebellion, whether they call themselves the Galactic Alliance, New Republic, whatever...is the one that ironically and hypocritically builds it and for the very same reason the Empire did: for peace (or more accurately, the fear, desire and rationalization to achieve peace that way).

They have the plans after all. Time. And can make whatever changes/additions to it.

Naturally, the other faction builds their bigger/badder gun whether it's a system destroyer or whatever.

19. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Han's got himself a Star Destroyer... Why can't Leia command her own Death Star?

20. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Maybe something like a Halo ring from Halo.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's no moon... it's an Ewokizer. Turn the ship around.

22. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Yub Yub, Commander!

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I suspect so does every actor in Britain under 4' tall.

LottDodd likes this.
  24. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    First off let me apologize for the quote unquote frenzy.

I understand the "recycled" viewpoint, or the "tired" plot devices. Ive said it so many times before but thats an adult point of view...these films were made for a younger audience. Its no different than Wile E chasing the Roadrunner over and over, lucy swiping the football away from charlie over and over, i suppose the dogfights and lightsaber battles are tiring and repetitive too? The racing/chasing scenes are boring too?
    NO.....Thats the nature of the stories-The backbone if you will- Empire versus Rebellion and Jedi Vs Sith.....everything else is affected/drawn/part of/running away from/et cetera around this story element. Why be so desperate to reimagine it into something else?

I didnt see anything wrong with the empire escalating into "super" star destroyers, tie bombers, AT's(2&4 legged) and building a second death star....so i dont really see it a stretch at all in terms of the continuing theme in building gigantic outlandish monstrous imperial devices along with the personal jedi/sith conflict. The story doesnt break down any lower than that. It fits right into the "serial cliffhanger trilogy formats" that lucas was inspired by in the first place. The empire was SUPPOSED to build another death star, they are SUPPOSED to continue to find those new whacky devices to control the galaxy once and for all.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Sarge like this.
  25. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Excellent idea.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.