main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Death Star and Superweapons

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son_of_Rancor

Son_of_Rancor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    Star Wars is about the Death Star. Bring it back!

danmcken likes this.
  2. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    Well, its called The Force Awakens so my guess is this will be related to the natural environment more than what technology can do. I believe technology is what destroyed the Empire and we will see the effects of that in the story. The Force will play into this big time. I am sure that there will be weapons but the philosophy will change during the film from the awakening, whatever that might mean. I think we will see things we haven't seen in the 6 films, like the dark side's full power, the training of the sith, etc. JJ has to be careful not to fall into Lucas' shoes in the PT, showing everything he wasn't capable of doing in the OT and just doing it for doings sake in the PT. We know what the CGI is capable of. Now its time to show us, in the ST, that people make the story. The emotional ties will drive this series. The Skywalker family is still the saga driver.

DarthSheev likes this.
  3. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    yea, but she fights for peace, right?

4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

No, not really. She's fighting to end the despotic rule of the Empire. She could have peace by just licking the boots of the Emperor. But she wants a JUST peace.

5. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014

Well. We are going to see the first Death Star in Rogue One.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    She says Alderaan is a peaceful planet, that's different from saying she's a pacifist and fighting for peace. Up to the PT I think Bail Organa was thought of as a pacifist because of the EU, since then we've seen him become very proactive to the point of carrying a blaster.

7. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Fighting for peace, or fighting to achieve peace, is not synonymous with pacifism.

Dra--- and Strongbow like this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "But Alderaan is peaceful! We have no weapons, you can't possibly... ." is what she says. she's referring to the planet.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I
    In the context of the scene, she is making the case that it is NOT aRebel base. But earlier, we heard how Obi-wan had served her father in the Clone Wars, and how he is to take R2, with the Death Star plans, to her father in Alderaan. That doesn't sound like a pacifist to me.

10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    never said she was.

11. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Ok, what was your point.... I thought this was of the whole "Leia is a pacifist" line. Did I miss something?

12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    that was a while back.

13. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    OK, I lost the thread somewhere.... carry on. :)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The original poster said she was a pacifist, I think I argued that wasn't the case and that any earlier thought that Bail Organa could've been a pacifist has long been disproven. I think all of the responses have backed this up.

Strongbow likes this.
  15. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Ok, I really HAD lost the thread, since I completely agree with that.

Django Fett likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    In Star Wars I have only seen one pacifist and that's Satine. Padme had the spirit but caved much earlier in my view. Doesn't mean holding such stances are lame, weak, immoral or whatever else.

Dra--- likes this.
  17. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    the star wars element that draws inspiration from"the hidden fortress " was abt the death star...surely you have seen all the other movies and part of the original?,or did you only have 45 minutes of the original taped from TV during your childhood(i knew someone when I was a kid that only had this for the longest time,was equally obsessed with this part)

18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    he's a troll.

19. Son_of_Rancor

Son_of_Rancor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    No, Episode 2 we see the deigns for the deathstar, episode 3 we see it being built, episode 4 it is finished and destroyed, episode 5 is a blip, episode 6 it has been re-built. Did you know in the original draft that the death star was not destroyed and ended with the escape of the princess? if George had known the success of the film then he would not have destroyed it in an new hope.

20. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Is there any indication that the designs for the hammer and the other Imperial weapon might be some sort of lost blueprints of the Emperor? You have to imagine that there must be dozens of different designs for unique weapons that were never utilized. It's like fissal material after the end of the Cold War, who knows whose hands it could get into.

21. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    There could a giant super laser used again if it's something portable that could be used on a cruiser or destroyer. One sweep of it can take out an entire fleet of ships. It would be an effective weapon to destroy an entire armada.

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

I always assumed Leia wanted Obi-Wan to bring the Death Star plans to her father on Alderaan because he'd obviously have the best chance and most motivation to return those plans to Leia and her Rebel allies, regardless of whether he's a pacifist or willing to fight against the Empire. He'd be willing to help his daughter in the cause to which she is devoted. So Bail being a pacifist or not is pretty irrelevant IMO. His importance is his connection to Leia and to Obi-Wan.

Such a pity we never saw Obi-Wan "serve" Bail in the PT. Bail was barely a character and certainly not shown to be calling the shots in the Clone Wars. Too many missed opportunities in the scripts for the PT because the small hints of backstory we got in the OT sound way more interesting, and great characters like Tarkin were reduced to fan service cameos. Imagine Ralph Fiennes playing a younger Tarkin in all three prequels? Would have been great.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While the TCW novel Wild Space had Bail and Obi-Wan on a mission together (Bail needed a Jedi to investigate a possible Sith Temple, and Obi-Wan volunteered) - it's almost the only example.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    How about this to satisfy those calling for bringing it back... On Leia's desk she has a paperweight. It's the death star. And you press a button on the back and a superlaser shoots out and can be used to open envelopes.

25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.