main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Death Star debris

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthDrew, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Floating Cloned Emperor spirits make TWD, Kaminoans, Timothy Zahn, and baby Jesus:_|

2. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I don't buy that whole "wormhole" thing. According to Einstein, (who was probably a good deal smarter than all of us and, yes, George Lucas) the fabric of space cannot tearm, meaning that any wormhole would have to have been there since the beginning of time. (unless you had a stargate ;)) Of course, string theory dictates that space-tearing flop transitions do occur on a very small scale, surely nothing big enough to pull in a Death Star. (Try reading The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene) But, I digress. I think the bottom line is:

R.I.P
    EWOKS

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

3. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    The wormhole was always there by Endor, it had just been inactive. Palpatine's death sent an energy ripple that 'awakened' the wormhole for a brief time, just enough to suck in most of the Death Star debris and other materials there, before it became inactive again.

By the way, EH Pilot, if this reminds you of the "Glove of Darth Vader" book series, it's because that's where the whole wormhole near Endor concept came from. And, despite what most people think, the series is canon, as well as one of the few EU works I've read.

4. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Endor Holocaust

Read your heart out.

The Endor Holocaust theory is based on bad data. The size of Death Star 2 and its distance from the moon, plus the environmental impact from its debris, was debunked by a better investigation in The Truth About the Endor Holocaust.

RB

5. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    And, despite what most people think, the series is canon,

I don't think so. That's one of the stories labeled as "tales" or "infinities" that don't count. Like splinter.

That's good, because a wormhole vacuum cleaner in orbit over Endor is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Even if it were true, all it means is the radiation and DS junk got dumped on Mon Calamari. So the rebels wiped out a totaly innocent and uninvolved planet. That's so much better.

6. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    "the majority of it went into a nearby wormhole that had been 'unlocked' by Palpatine's death and sealed up shortly afterwards."
    :confused: I heard this dren for the first time.. Where did this come from?

Not that I meant to upset anyone, but I think that's horrible, worst piece of EU I have been lucky to miss.

Anyway, that Holocaust story was great [face_laugh] I like it more than "rebels and their Ewok friends living happily..."
    [face_mischief]

7. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I don't care what is or isn't canon. This is a matter of elementary physics. First of all, how does one "unlock" a wormhole? What does that even mean?! Second of all, wouldn't the wormhole have to be closer to the Death Star than the forest moon was, in order to break the gravitational pull of the moon? Wouldn't this result in both fleets being pulled into it? Do wormholes even have gravitational pulls?

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

8. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    HI U MITE BE KNEW 2 ST4R WARZ BUT FIZIKS DONT APLY HEAR.

9. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    [comic book guy]best.post.ever.[/comic book guy]

10. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Perhaps all the tiny dust/debris that Saxton claims obliterates all life on the Endor moon was pulled into Endor (the gas giant) like Yavin.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not sure about the whole "unlocking a wormhole" thing, though I know the wormhole itself was there.

I wouldn't try holding the concept up to Eisnstein's work, as I'm pretty sure SW violates his work in many other ways ;)

>>surely nothing big enough to pull in a Death Star.<<

Only a small part of debris fell into the wormhole.

>>That's one of the stories labeled as "tales" or "infinities" that don't count. Like splinter.<<

Nope, GODV and "Splinter..." are both part of continuity (though I wish the former wasn't).

I think some of the wormhole/blackhole stuff also originates from the Ewok cartoons and has been retroactively used to explain why so many people have crashlanded on Endor in the Ewok movies (Marauders, Cindel's family, that Nightsister, Noa, etc).

12. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    First off, both the Glove of Darth Vader series and Splinter of the Mind's Eye are officially the same level of canon as any other Expanded Universe stories.

Anyway, the wormhole theory isn't that unbelievable. Also, as the link Razorback posted above, it's also a possibility that the portal opening was caused when the Death Star reactor was destroyed, as the reactor was powered by some kind of hyperspace technology. This not only gives a good reason for why the wormhole would open at such a convienient time, it would also explain why the wormhole was able to pull in the Death Star debris before Endor's gravitational pull, since the wormhole would have opened in the core of the Death Star itself, where the reactor was. Yes, this theory kind of contradicts the line saying the wormhole opening was caused by Palpatine's death, but you could technically say that since Palpatine's death led to the Alliance fleet winning the battle and destroying the Death Star that the portal opening was, if very indirectly, caused by the Emperor dying.

As for the person who said that the portal would just dump the debris on Mon Calamari, thereby condemning an innocent planet that wasn't even involved, they're kind of off the mark. The other side of the portal was in the Mon Calamari system, not neccesarily over the planet Mon Calamari itself. The debris could have harmlessly floated around space, crashed into another planet or moon in the system, or even gotten sucked into the system's sun, with the actual planet of Mon Calamari remaining unharmed.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    For everybody trying to apply physics to Star Wars: sound in space. Thank you.

14. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Sound in space! Let's not forget the portable orbiting moons, which have no effect on each world's oceans, the ships flying at faster than light (She'll make .5, past light speed) without the physical effects on the people inside, or the worm like Hutts who keep pig-men as their guardians, also the self-thinking and learning robots, Lasers that are different colors depending on the side they're on, and people who can lift multi-ton vehicles with their minds.

Obviously the fact that there is sound in space makes the whole movie a sham.

15. Thrice-Damned-Narn

Thrice-Damned-Narn Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2004
    Self-thinking robots isn't outside the realm of plausibility- advanced AI is certainly achievable with enough technological progress.

IIRC, there is actually a partial explaination to the "sound in space" situation: ships actually have internal speakers and audio simulators to give pilots and gunners an audible point of reference beyond just visuals, and that is what we are hearing in the films.

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    That's awful, and I don't even think it's been qualified in the EU.

17. stephengraves

stephengraves Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2001
    Wasn't there a great little comic in one of the Star Wars Tales anthologies that had some fun with this idea? It was about an Imperial solider, IIRC, who was sitting in a bar relating the horrific guerrila war his comerades had to fight with the Ewoks, and how they were terrified out of their wits by them. At the end he says something like "Still, there's one consolation. The Death Star blew up in orbit and wiped out the Endor Moon." Then someone turns to him and explains that actually, the Rebels prevented that from happening somehow...

Anyway, it was a pretty funny in-universe take on this very debate (as well as the ongoing "How did the fuzzy-wuzzy teddy bears fight off a legion of Stormtroopers...>" one).

SG

18. Darth_Terrell

Darth_Terrell Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    I can't believe anyone would apply the laws of physics to a fantasy film that includes a space slug, a little green frog man named Yoda, and a wookie named Chewy.

All that matters is that the film follow the laws it sets up for itself.

19. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Some of us apply physics to the movies because some of us are related to rabid Trek fans that think the Enterprise could shrug of the Death Star's superlaser because it isn't "a phaser," so it gives us an added edge at shutting them up.

20. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    IMO applying physics to a "what if" situation like this is kind of fun. The discussion allows you to expand your knowledge of our own universal laws by relating them to a theoretical situation.

Besides, even the GFFA must adhere to some universal laws, even if they aren't the same as ours. If GL had said that there was this theory or that that exists in the GFFA and not in ours (and I'm sure he has people who could do that pretty easily), we would have to accept it. He didn't. He just said, "it didn't happen," and then only because it would mess up the entertainment value of his movie.

Applying physics to the movies makes me think of Trek's "communicators" back in the '60s. Before then, that type of thing was just theoretical (I think). We had walkie talkies, but nothing to compare to the hand-held, hundreds of miles transmission devices they were using in Trek. Then, yesrs later, we have cellular phones. Was the idea of cell phones inspired by Trek's communicators? It's debatable.

I recall a story related by Leonard Nimoy. He was walking along the street talking on a cell phone and someone came up to him, pointed and just started laughing.

21. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Was the idea of cell phones inspired by Trek's communicators? It's debatable.

Probably no more than in-home cordless phones were inspired by the Patrick McGoohan TV series "The Prisoner" ;)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

22. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I heard a quote once that said there are two types of people, the dreamers and the doers.

Basically, it takes the mind of a dreamer/write to come up with an idea. (travel to the moon, communicator, submarine, laser guns)
    But it takes scientists to make it a reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.