main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Death Star II in ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by anakinsrightarm, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Who else feels GL had an extreme battle with originality (or lack thereof) when a second, almost-identical (tho' larger) to the first Death Star was built...?

I feel MUCH of Jedi's story was lazy and recycled. It was still a WONDERFUL movie...and the whole Emperor-Vader-Luke thing is amongst the best stuff in the SW series. But I feel much of the story was tired...

Anyone else feel the same?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    No, it actually makes sense to have a second Death Star. The Emperor would have been an idiot if he simply tossed away the concept of the Death Star. The station worked, and once the little flaw was corrected, it would have been unstoppable once completed.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Earlier versions of ROTJ did not have the DS2, and apparently it's inclusion was one of several issues that led to Kurtz's departure.

4. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    It would have been nice if the Executioner was the major military weapon instead of the Death Star II. It would have opened some possibilities and would have made it a little fresher, but then again I am perfectly happy with RotJ the way it is so why change it?

5. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Earlier versions of ROTJ did not have the DS2, and apparently it's inclusion was one of several issues that led to Kurtz's departure.

In the annoated screenplays Endor was Corcusant and there were several deathstars orbiting the planet

6. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I suppose it just might've been fresher for it to be a different shape...or have different weaknesses, etc. Just seemed TOO FAMILIAR.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Death Star II did have a different weakness than Death Star I: It had none. If it had been fully completed, it would have been 100% unstoppable.

8. MaskedSuperstar

MaskedSuperstar Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2003
    Death Star II did have a different weakness than Death Star I: It had none. If it had been fully completed, it would have been 100% unstoppable.

That line of thinking is ridiculous! It was man made, therefore there would be some flaw. Who's to say Han's squad wouldn't have gone into the Death Star itself (no need to take down the shield generator) and went in with some knowledge of another weakness...They would neverhave gone to Endor had Palpatine not leaked info...so surely he would let more info fall thru the cracks, so that he could crush the Rebellion once and for all...
    Besides, if there were "no weaknesses", the Super Star Destroyer wouldn't have been able to crash into it.

9. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    George was originaly supposed to have the Death Star first appear in the third act, but he didn't know if Star Wars was gonna make enough money, so he tried to cram alot of the three episodes into episode 4, so that's why there was a Death Star in episode 4.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    That line of thinking is ridiculous!

You know what he means, though. It would've eliminated the one big (fatally big :p ) flaw in the Death Star design.

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    People said I were daft to build a death star, but I built it all the same. The rebels destroyed it, so I built another one. The rebels destroyed, so I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then the rebels destroyed it, but the fourth one stayed up, and that's what you're getting, young Luke, and you're gonna turn to the dark side, whether you like it or not. GUARDS! Stay here, and make sure he doesn't leave the room.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Who's to say Han's squad wouldn't have gone into the Death Star itself (no need to take down the shield generator)<<

They would still need to take down the shield to get aboard the station.

13. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    One day lad, all this'll be yours.
    What? The menacing circular frame to the view port?
    No not the menacing circular frame to the viewport lad. All that you see.

14. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    *applauds halibut and GMT for Holy Grail references*

15. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    //begin lame joke

Moff Jerjerrod: Can I just say one thing? I'm standing here, staring at Emperor Palpatine! And if Emperor Palpatine wants more Death Star, we should probably give him more Death Star! And, Bobby, you are right - I am being selfish. But the last time I checked, we don't have a lot of universal domination plans that feature the Death Star.

Emperor Palpatine: I gotta have more Death Star, baby!

Moff Jerjerrod: I'll be doing a disservice to myself, and everybody in this empire, if I don't build the hell out of this thing.

Emperor Palpatine: Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more Death Star!

//end lame joke

16. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    *throws rotten tomatoes at Spiderdevil* :p

44 more posts to 1,000. :D

17. MaskedSuperstar

MaskedSuperstar Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2003
    They would still need to take down the shield to get aboard the station.

The command crew would have been in the shuttle...

18. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    [face_laugh] love the SW/Holy Grail jokes, lovely.

*chalks up one point for MaskedSuperstar *

They would have gotten through that sheild somehow, and it would most likely be easy. I don't know how, but I am sure that GL would have found a way. ;)

19. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I've always found the image of the incomplete Death Star II absolutely spellbinding. Never had a problem with it visually, or as an integral element of the story.

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I couldn't agree with TheCat more. I'm not an artist (except musically), but some images really strike a chord within me, and the image of DS2 is pretty damned perfect

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree- though the concpet itself is somewhat repetitive, the unfinished Death Star has a somewhat organic quality to it that just makes it much more menacing.

22. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    the most logical course of action would have been to complete the deathstar2, leak info to the bothan spynet that it was under construction, wait for the rebels to show up and blast them away with a complete death star 2.

23. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    But then should the Bothans (or someone else) find out that it was truly complete, the Rebels would never have jumped at the chance.

Even if the Rebels had known that the DS2 was a trap, I'm sure they still would have jumped. It would have been their best chance to end the war regardless of the odds. The longer the Empire had to fortify itself, the longer the war could last.

24. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Nah, I think the rebels would've tried to infiltrate the Death Star somehow. If they knew it was a trap, they would know that a fleet-to-space station attack wouldn't work (it's exactly the thing the DS2 was designed to defend against). If it's the size of a moon but only has a crew of a few million, there'll be plenty of spaces to hide.

Maybe the Rebellion could set up a floating base in one of those bottomless pits. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.