main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

death star plans - so stupid...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by grimster, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    What would be the point of having the Death Star plans in the background if they weren't shown more clearly and briefly discussed?
    I just don't understand all this complaining....

Death Star plans are cool
    /LM

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    If this isn't the bottom of the critical barrel, I don't know what is.....

The bottom of the critical barrel is complaining about the blue engine fire in the PT ships -- that it doesn't look as good as the blue engine fire in the OT ships.

3. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Please tell me some idiot didn't complain about that. Please.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, it would have worked better to just have Poggle hand Dooku the disc with nothing on the wallscreen and then reveal the DS when Dooku opens it up.

Twice is just redundant and a nice example of the hatchet-job AOTC was.

5. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Someone complained about the engine fire?

Yeah, I also liked the old galactica better, it was really visibly glued together! Or something. One could argue it looks a bit more uniform yes, the OT ones didn't really look like engines to me. But they are different, yeah.

6. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    The Death Star plans were in the background? You know, I missed that completely.

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Yeah, I also liked the old galactica better,

I liked it better too. It looked real, not like the anime cartoon the new one is.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

8. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

OH COME ON! I smell a troll.

Showing the DS plans is stupid?
    That makes absolutely zero sense.

Tying the earlier episodes to the latter ones
    is stupid? It's called, S T O R Y T E L L I N G,
    more specifically F O R E S H A D O W I N G.

9. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Showing the Death Star plans is stupid? That makes absolutely zero sense.

In fairness to the author of this thread, I think that the complaint had to do with the manner in which the Death Star plans were shown, something that I feel to be essentially a non-issue, as I have previously indicated. The idea is that Lucas was heavy-handed in his approach to this sequence because he had to show the image first in a wide shot, and then in a close-up. This isn't so much an example of condescending overstatement, but more of a microencapsulation of how certain individuals will stop at nothing to criticize every last detail of a film that they didn't enjoy.

Heavy-handedness implies something that is overbearing and pedantic, but to formally apply such notions to the scene in question is, I think, stretching the premise beyond all reasonable limits. Consider, for instance, Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 2"; while I think that it is a very good film, I generally find that Raimi's approach to Peter Parker borders on being a little too much at times. I think, for example, that it was a mistake to put so much emphasis on Parker's "woe-is-me" everyman qualities - it is exaggerated to such a ridiculous extreme and repeatedly reinforced to the point at which I became a little annoyed with it. Add to that the fact that we receive some very self-conscious Christ-imagery at the film's end, and it's almost enough to induce gag-reflexes.

If that example isn't satisfying enough, look at "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"; yes, I do think that this is quite a good film, but the picture's denouement is so ham-fisted and overblown, that it undermines any genuine emotional resonance that the film has previously been able to attain. The rest of the picture is excellent, but the last 30 minutes are so bloated and endless that we feel as though the director is force-feeding us overly generous helpings of saccharine grub. That is heavy-handedness.

10. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    What on earth...

The Death Star features heavily in 4 and 6 and so deserves a few seconds of screen time to set this up (minimum). We need to be shown that Dooku is actually going to take the plans to Sidious.

11. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Please tell me some idiot didn't complain about that. Please.

I could tell you that, but it wouldn't be true. They complained about how fake the engine fire looked in AOTC, how much more "real" it was in the OT, and ended it by saying, "I hate CGI."

12. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Some of my PT-basher friends hold the argument of "I hate CGI - it's so fake-looking"

To which I counter two arguments:

1) They loved Jabba's palace even though the muppets in there were very obviously fake-looking muppets

2) They loved LOTR, which uses almost as much CGI as the PT. To which they say, "That's different!" and drop the subject. ;)

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    1) They loved Jabba's palace even though the muppets in there were very obviously fake-looking muppets

2) They loved LOTR, which uses almost as much CGI as the PT. To which they say, "That's different!" and drop the subject.

What do these two-counters have to do with their specific argument with AOTC?

That's called addressing something through deflection.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The first lesson in film school is to treat your audience like they're retards. You have to explain EVERYTHING.

EDIT: Dang it, Prime_ beat me to it! A long time ago, to.

15. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    When a thread starts like this one, does anyone really believe that it'll be altered to :death star plans- so smart? ;)

16. Delta_07

Delta_07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I agree with lacerus

17. Xizor2

Xizor2 Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2005
    Has anyone else noticed that the race that designed the death star doesn't have opposable thumbs?

18. Darth_Anakin_87

Darth_Anakin_87 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    i normally wouldn't waste my time bashing someone, but grimster i have to say that this is one of the dumbest topis ever. who the hell cares if they showed the death star twice, jeez get a life my friend.

19. happydudethe3rd

happydudethe3rd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    Umm... I agree with bswb (did I get your name right?) that it was one of the moments in the theatre where the whole audience erupted. but beyond that... um, showing the death star in any capacity is awesome. Also, I learned something in this thread. I never realized that that change in the emperor/vader dialogue in Empire is meant to show that Vader is hiding that he knows who Luke is from the emperor. That is also awesome.

20. Megara_Lemelisk

Megara_Lemelisk Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2005
    This might have been discussed earlier but I am a little new to the forum, but I thought that it was Bevel Lemelisk and Qwi Xux who designed the Death Star at the Maw Installation?

21. happydudethe3rd

Jan 27, 2005
    Megara L: I assume that's EU? What's the source? I'm new to some of the novels (besides the thrawn trilogy) and am looking to read more if'n you have any suggestions.

22. IDontLikeYouEither

IDontLikeYouEither Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    EU is pseudo-canon. George Lucas feels no need to stay true to the EU if he doesn't want to. That being said, I don't like the fact that the DS is now made to be in the works for over twenty years.

BTW, In the EU the DS was the brain child of Tarkin if I remember correctly, Lemelisk was just the lead engineer.

23. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I didn't see the plans in the background until my third viewing. I, for one, am glad that he showed "us" the plans.

24. Megara_Lemelisk

Megara_Lemelisk Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2005
    Ok, It has been a long time since I read Darksaber. Thanks, I think I remember now. Happydudethe3rd, I would suggest, that you read The Jedi Academy Trilogy. I usually just read the books in chronological order. The book that I got that information from was Darksaber by Kevin J Anderson it was good and it went into the background of the Death Star.

25. happydudethe3rd

Jan 27, 2005
    Megara, you're the 2nd person to suggest the Jedi Academy. Gonna have to go invest. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.